singersp is offline PPO Newshound

With Vikings front office in flux, Wilf remains focused

[size=18px]With Vikings front office in flux, Wilf remains focused, upbeat[/size]

After nearly a year as owner, he is looking at a new management structure, will keep Scott Studwell and is maneuvering for a stadium.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: May 13, 2006 – 11:24 PM

As his ownership group approaches its first anniversary in the NFL, Zygi Wilf began working Saturday on Version 3.0 of the Vikings' personnel department. Wilf extended the contract of longtime talent evaluator Scott Studwell -- but left Studwell's title unspecified while he contemplates a different leadership structure that could include the creation of a traditional general manager's role.
    Wilf spent the day at Winter Park observing the opening practice at minicamp, saying in a midday interview that it might take several months to arrive at a final arrangement after firing personnel director Fran Foley on May 1. He did not discuss the specifics of Foley's departure.

Wilf did say he won't make another hire until "we know what we need and who is needed to improve our personnel department."

Studwell, the Vikings' director of college scouting for four years, was passed over for the job Foley got in January. Studwell's career ambitions are unclear, and he was not available for comment. But Wilf appears to be keeping all options open as the contracts of each personnel employee approach their May 31 expiration.

Foley had been part of a three-man triumvirate -- along with coach Brad Childress and Rob Brzezinski, vice president of football operations -- charged with running the football end of the organization. Asked if he might move away from that committee- style system in the wake of Foley's departure, Wilf said: "I don't want to rush that.

"I've always stressed," he added, "that communication within the front office is as important as communication on the playing field. We might not have the [same] final structure. What that will be, one doesn't know. But we'll work on it consistently to make it better in whatever form it comes out."

Brzezinski headed the personnel department when the NFL approved Wilf's $600 million purchase on May 25, 2005. At the suggestion of Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, the Vikings split Brzezinski's duties and created a role for vice president of player personnel.

Brzezinski, Childress and Kevin Warren (vice president of operations/legal counsel) conducted a two-week search that ended in hiring Foley. While not specifically addressing that decision, Wilf acknowledged that his operation of the team will always be "a work in progress."

"We're constantly improving our organization," he added, "with the goal to become the type of team that can be proud of what they do on and off the field. It always will be a work in progress. It always will be. Regardless of where we are in the standings, it will always be so."

NFL sources have said the Vikings fired Foley because of an embellished résumé as well as a brash management style, a debacle that concluded an eventful first year for Wilf's group. In the process of finishing 9-7, the franchise became the butt of national jokes after an alleged Oct. 6 sex party on Lake Minnetonka.

Wilf later replaced coach Mike Tice, authorized a $2 million renovation of Winter Park and has since made historic progress on the stadium issue.

Wilf's Anoka County plan remains on life support at the state Capitol, and he appears set to propose a $115 million savings by eliminating the facility's retractable roof. Whether it passes or is squashed, Wilf said "we've been able to accomplish a lot in our first year -- both on and off the field.

"We're new to the football business and we're constantly learning," he said. "What we will do is what's best for the organization. Certainly we're going to have our ups and downs, as we've experienced throughout the year. But as long as we're moving forward with the right people, I think we'll be a better team and a team that we all can be proud of."

With Vikings front office in flux, Wilf remains focused, upbeat

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: With Vikings front office in flux, Wilf remains focused

Posted on Sun, May. 14, 2006

[size=18px]Wilf will take slow pace for new hires[/size]

Vikings give Studwell a 3-year extension

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

As the Vikings search for a new top personnel executive, owner Zygi Wilf said the club would take a "slower and more methodical" approach and that he would rely more on his instincts in the hiring process.

Silent since May 3, when the Vikings terminated the three-year contract of Fran Foley, their vice president of player personnel for less than three months, Wilf discussed what he has learned and what he's going to do differently.

"I realized that maybe some of the problems in the past were basically creating a sense of urgency when maybe there wasn't," he said. "We've been here 10 months, 11 months, and sometimes you try to do too many things very quickly, and you can't get everything done the way you want to. But the goal is to consistently improve, to get to a level where you can be proud of the team and they can be proud of each other."

Wilf took the first step Saturday when he announced that the club had agreed to a three-year contract extension with Scott Studwell, the director of college scouting since 2002. In a news release Saturday evening, the club said the entire structure of the player personnel department would be announced "in the near future."

"We feel very strongly that he be with this organization, because of his dedication and his ability," Wilf said. "Scott is a very valuable member of the Vikings' organization."

Asked if Studwell, 51, would be a candidate for the vacant top personnel executive position, Wilf said, "Right now, we're satisfied for him to continue in the role that he has."

The Vikings have been mum on the ouster of Foley, especially because Foley's attorney has requested an arbitration hearing before NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. Attorney Jeffrey Kessler said his client was "wrongfully terminated" and deserves full compensation for the three-year deal Foley signed in late January, as well as "additional damages."

Wilf declined to comment on Foley and the May 22 deadline the club faces from the NFL on Foley's arbitration hearing request.

But when he was asked why Foley's contract was officially terminated three days after he presided over the NFL draft, Wilf said, "All I can say is, we did it when we did it because it was in the best interests of the team."

Clearly, though, Wilf has learned some lessons. Asked what he will change about the hiring process, Wilf paused for more than a minute before answering.

"It is an interesting question," he said. "All I can say is, being new to the football business, I'm going to rely more upon what I've learned in my 30 some years in business, and that is to be more diligent and follow your basic instincts of personnel evaluation that got me here."

Wilf acknowledged the answer was "complex," especially because he didn't provide any detail or context. But Wilf clearly will involve himself more in the decision-making, which he had previously entrusted to coach Brad Childress, Rob Brzezinski, the vice president of football operations, and Kevin Warren, the vice president of operations and legal affairs.

Wilf said "hands on is not the right" phrase. But he reiterated that he would trust himself more, despite his limited football experience.

"I certainly will rely much more on my instincts as a business person, and my evaluation of personnel that got me here to be successful as a businessperson," he said.

Wilf said he doesn't have a title or person in mind for the job, and he's open to qualified candidates from assorted backgrounds. He also said that person's authority would depend on the candidate.

"We want somebody who can work with all the other important people," Wilf said. "We're going to be looking toward the person, rather than the title."

Wilf also said nothing is imminent, although he would like someone hired before training camp.

"I think it's important to make sure the coach, when he concentrates on his team and coaching, that he's able to rely upon people in the personnel department to help him evaluate and help him procure players who can help his team," Wilf said. "That's what we'll be looking for, somebody who can fill that role. When we do find it, we will act."

In the meantime, Wilf said the remaining scouts whose contracts expire at the end of this month are being evaluated now and more of them could get contract extensions, even though a top executive might not be in place.

"We're not going to wait for one person to come in and evaluate all our personnel," Wilf said. "That person who comes in will not be a position to say, 'We're going to do an overhaul.' They'll have to come in and bring their expertise. But most important, they're going to have to fit in."

That could be a critical detracting point for the strongest candidates.

Wilf also left open the possibility of hiring other scouts.

"We'll continue to find ways to improve our own people or to improve with outside people," he said.

The Houston Texans and St. Louis Rams also are looking for a top personnel executive. Before hiring Foley, the Vikings interviewed Jacksonville Jaguars pro personnel director Charlie Bailey; Ron Hill, the former vice president of player personnel for the Atlanta Falcons; and former Miami Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman. Other possible candidates for top NFL personnel jobs include Rick Smith, the assistant general manager for the Denver Broncos; Will Lewis, the pro personnel director for the Seattle Seahawks; Reggie McKenzie, the director of pro personnel for the Green Bay Packers; and Jason Licht, the director of player personnel for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Although the Vikings still have an important position open, Wilf said he's thrilled to have another group in place.

"I think the coaching staff we brought on board will bring (consistency) to our team and the organization," he said. "They are the ones, after all, who set the tone. So right now, we're very happy with the players and coaches that we have."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Wilf will take slow pace for new hires

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Singer,you provide a great service to this forum, posting all these articles.I hate having to subscribe to every site, just so I can read an article, and I'm sure I'm not alone here.
    Thanks...I look for your posts every morning. :thumbright:

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"jdvike" wrote:
    Singer,you provide a great service to this forum, posting all these articles.I hate having to subscribe to every site, just so I can read an article, and I'm sure I'm not alone here.
    Singer does a great job with the Team updates and other interesting NFL articals.

I am also grateful for the time and effort he puts into digging up the latest news and topics.

I start every workday by coming here and checking out what Singer has posted, with my Coffee in my hand.....

It's my mourning ritual now, and I like the way it starts my day off. I also chat with Singer almost every mourning now. We both have cams and voice via a yahoo link. It's fun to start of the day by sharing some Viking Talk with a fellow PPO'er and friend.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

"VikingNed" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:
    Singer does a great job with the Team updates and other interesting NFL articals.

I am also grateful for the time and effort he puts into digging up the latest news and topics.

I start every workday by coming here and checking out what Singer has posted, with my Coffee in my hand.....

It's my mourning ritual now, and I like the way it starts my day off. I also chat with Singer almost every mourning now. We both have cams and voice via a yahoo link. It's fun to start of the day by sharing some Viking Talk with a fellow PPO'er and friend.....
    I agree completely... I now come here for all the latest news before i go to any other sites because I know singersp has got it covered. Very much appreciated.
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/wordsofwisejcb/Vikings/K-DUB-Sig-2.jpg[/img]
    Da** Right I'm An A$$hole, You Pu$$ys Ain't Even Half As Tight!!! - Qwel

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Wilf's Anoka County plan remains on life support at the state Capitol, and he appears set to propose a $115 million savings by eliminating the facility's retractable roof. Whether it passes or is squashed, Wilf said "we've been able to accomplish a lot in our first year -- both on and off the field.
    I didn't like reading this part. I guess MN doesn't want to ever host a Super Bowl again. Guess its more important to build the stadium on the cheap. :roll: Good ole MN politics ehh.

WWBGD

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

no point building a new stadium if we dont get the retractable roof.. could just renovate the metrodome if the twins moved out

but yeah, other that a decent read, thanks for the post

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese