singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: Framework for Mankato has coordinators pleased

[size=18px]Vikings: Framework for Mankato has coordinators pleased[/size]

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: June 21, 2006 – 10:40 PM

Mike Tomlin is pleased -- actually he used the words "very pleased" -- with the progress the Vikings have made in their adjustment to the Tampa-2 defensive scheme he has installed during offseason workouts.
    But as the last of those sessions wrapped up Wednesday, the Vikings' new defensive coordinator made it clear there remains plenty of work to be done when players report to training camp late next month in Mankato.

"What we've been able to do in terms of the structure of the offseason has been good, but we have miles to go in terms of being football-ready," said Tomlin, who brings the Buccaneers' version of the Cover-2 with him from Tampa Bay where he spent the past five seasons as defensive backs coach.

The Vikings had three minicamps this offseason, as well as 14 days of Organized Team Activities (OTAs). This included plenty of classroom work. ("It takes the class and the grass," Tomlin said.) All of this gave new coach Brad Childress and his coordinators a head start on putting in a new offense and defense.

But that's all it was. A start.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and Childress, who will call plays, have been helping several Vikings veterans make the transition from a vertical scheme to a West Coast offense that relies on the short-passing game.

"I think we've been pleased with the progress they've all made picking up the offense," Bevell said. "We were able to install a good majority of what we wanted to."

Asked how much of what the players learned will be revisited in Mankato, Bevell said: "All of it. From Day One. You start over from scratch and keep building on it everyday."

Although many teams have used the West Coast offense, each club has its own version that includes different verbiage. So while Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl playing in the same type of offense with the Buccaneers in 2002, that doesn't mean he's stepping into the exact same system under Childress. "All of them had to learn it, including Brad, and be able to do it exactly the way that we want it done," Bevell said.

Tomlin also has a certain way he wants things done, and he will start by beginning the learning process anew in Mankato.

"To be honest with you, we'll be doing the same thing a year from now or two years from now or three years," he said. "Football is about that daily battle of being on the details, and you really can never get away from it. I come from a situation where we had great continuity both as players and coaches. But we did the same thing every year. We reloaded it. It's a new 12-month process. That's just the nature of today's NFL. You've got new guys, you've got draft picks. You go back to ground zero and you reinstall it."

Etc.

• Tomlin would not say who is atop the depth chart at linebacker but he did express the coaching staff's confidence in the players the Vikings have at that position group. "To be quite honest, the public is a lot more worried about the linebacker situation than we are," he said. "We're going to have some linebackers who can play and play at a high level. ... I hope that everybody continues to have sleepless nights in regards to the linebackers, but [the coaches] are going to sleep like babies

Vikings: Framework for Mankato has coordinators pleased

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings: Framework for Mankato has coordinators pleased

I hope that everybody continues to have sleepless nights in regards to the linebackers, but [the coaches] are going to sleep like babies
    I hope he is right and that we finally have a LB corps that can get the job done.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Man I can't wait for August 14. I am sooo ready for this season to start.

usually I don't get the bug this bad until mid to late July. I don't know why, but I seem to be extra excited about the team this year. I think the new looks the Vikings are bringing to the field on both offense and defense are going to be fun to watch!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

good news, but i was hoping this was about the framework fo the vikings training camp activities and shit like that, the past 2 years they've been whining about that while mankato & blue earth county pour 10's of thousands into it

but glad to hear things are progressing well

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Man I can't wait for August 14. I am sooo ready for this season to start.

usually I don't get the bug this bad until mid to late July. I don't know why, but I seem to be extra excited about the team this year. I think the new looks the Vikings are bringing to the field on both offense and defense are going to be fun to watch!
    Thats the thing no-one really knows what we are geting this season and a result it is really getting the fans excited for the upcoming season. Defensively we may even see the team rise above the mid 20's position for the first time in a long time !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...