singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings fans still split on Culpepper departure

[size=13pt]Vikings fans still split on Culpepper departure[/size]

By Ben Stoterau / Sports Editor
    Published: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 3:41 PM CDT
    [email protected]

As I watched Daunte Culpepper choke down the stretch in Miami's opening season 28-17 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers Thursday night I got to thinking.

Let's be honest, it's been an unbelievable two year stretch for the Vi-kings organization.

Two years ago it traded away probably the most talented receiver in the history of the franchise to the Oakland Raiders, changed ownership, got rid of the lovable but clueless Mike Tice, brought in Eagle assistant coach Brad Childress to try and right the ship and then traded away the disgruntled Culpepper to the Dolphins for a measly second round draft pick.

Notice I haven't even mentioned the Vikings off the field troubles (I don't have enough space).

Over the years I've come to realize that the true die-hard Vikings fans such as myself are a pretty tight-knit bunch. You can hit any Sunday morning tailgating bash in the surrounding Metrodome area and be treated like you're one of the family.

That said, with the departure of Randy Moss and Culpepper - two larger than life players I figured would retire as Vikings - a split faction has taken place between the Viking faithful.

You've got one side who will never forgive the organization for trading away Moss and Culpepper. These fans are the ones who will begrudgingly continue to cheer on the purple and gold but find every instance possible - especially when the team struggles - to blame all the Vikes troubles on the fact the twosome was traded away.

Then you've got the other faction who believe a change was necessary. These rubes side with management and are normally considered "homers" or the "blind faithful" by the other side.

You would be shocked at the bickering between the two.

This was evident Friday morning following the Dolphins loss to the Steelers in the NFL season opener.

For those who don't know, Culpepper and the Dolphins led 17-14 with six minutes to go before surrendering an 80-yard touchdown pass to a tight end before Culpepper threw INTs in consecutive throws, including one that was thrown to Steeler linebacker Joey Porter who took it in for the game-clinching score.

Of course this had "the homers" beaming with glee at the failure of Culpepper. Heck if he isn't in purple anymore than let's hope he falls flat on his face. Right?

Personally, I could care less what Culpep-per or Moss do the rest of their careers.

Bottom line is their not Vikings anymore. Thanks for the memories. Adios.

This isn't the Berlin Wall, but I think it's time for Vikings fans to make peace with one another... and ultimately suffer together.

Comments

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Re: Vikings fans still split on Culpepper departure

Homers and Fanbois.

We have to bicker with each other because no team in our division is good enough to bicker with except the Bears and their fans don't know how to use the computer.

SHOW-TIME is offline Pro-Bowler

To be completely honest I could care less what about Daunte...he didn't want to return to Minnesota anyway...Moss on the other hand I miss him...I hope someday soon he returns to play for the Vikings
    so yeah eatingpieinbed some friends of mine http://www.purevolume.com/eatingpieinbed

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Bottom line is their not Vikings anymore. Thanks for the memories. Adios.

Possibly the most intelligent things I have seen in printed media in a long, long time.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

PbBut is offline Waterboy

Pretty much sums it up.
    Both were great talents.
    Somehow, Culpepper always seemed to be one of those talented QBs that seems to lack that "whatever" it took to take a team a long way.
    I don't know if he lacked leadership, judgement, or skills to take a team deep into the playoffs.
    I always know that whenever Daunte was leading a final drive to try to get the Vikes a win, I expected an INT more often than a TD.

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

IMHO

Had Daunte been at the helm the other night, a close game on the road, i feel he would have blown it.
    A pick, a fumble, a four and out, something dumb.
    BJ is much smarter and more reliable.
    I miss Daunte of 2004, but I think that Daunte is gone, and I dont miss the new one.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

vegasvike is offline Hall of Famer

Well I was one the few who did like Pep. Yeah last year he did play poorly. Very, very, VERY poorly, but his #1 WR was gone, his OC was gone, and his C was gone. I saw a few games where the playoff teams that he played was in the backfieldjust as the ball was in his hands and felt that he didnt have enough time.
    But after Thursday night's game I think that he needs a dependable #2 WR, a QB coach, and someone certified in CPR! I mean back to back INTs Pep?
    Thanks for the sig Pack93z

I love when you take breaks from plucking your unibrow and grunting/slapping to makes posts in this forum

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

For me, I like the both of them.
    At the same time I'm glad they are both gone.
    Let's face it.
    As much talent as they have it never got the Vikings anywhere.
    They had 2 playoff seasons together.
    Once even made the NFC Championship where we were trounced.
    They were exciting people to watch.
    Both very gifted with talent.
    However the quick strike offense normally tired out the defense.
    Moss had off the field and on the field issues.
    Pep wanted to leave.

We now have a balanced team where no one is in charge but a very capable BJ.
    The Vikes are 8-2 with him as a starter over the last 2 years.
    With Pep and Moss starting, the Vikes had a losing record.
    No I do not blame them solely becasue the bottom line is we had crappy coaches that never taught Pep what he needed to learn to manage a game.
    We had no discipline to keep Moss in line.
    However, numbers are numbers and wins are wins.
    I would rather see Moss get 50 catches for 500 yards and win than for him to have 120 catches and 1500 yards and the Vikings lose.

Adios is right.
    Enjoy the rest of your careers

tke0933 is offline Pro-Bowler

I also liked both of them.
    They made the game exciting.
    With the big play possibility we could score from anywhere.
    But life goes on and as has been said, they are no longer here, it is time to cheer on our present team.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

He thinks thats bad ???
    wait til Bretty boy leaves GB, then you'll see a fanbase really split. Those who think he should have left earlier and those who think it was all the management for not supporting him... course if he goes to another team for a season then things will really hot up
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...