Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings expecting safety Williams back after bye

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - The Minnesota Vikings are anticipating safety Madieu Williams's return to the field after their bye week, a long-delayed debut after signing a lucrative contract with the team on the first day of free agency.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...D3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Finally.
    Hope they phase him in a bit.
    Need to make sure he and Griff are on the same page.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings expecting safety Williams back after bye

It's about time!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Give Darren a break, with a rookie beside you, you won't take lots of chances.
    I hope this is right.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    Give Darren a break, with a rookie beside you, you won't take lots of chances.
    I hope this is right.

Wow took Madieu long enough.. Half a season plus some preseason

But in regards to the Sharper comment, I don't think that's the case.. I don't see him in position at all.. He is never really near the ball.. Could be the scheme.. Could be him, but he is never close and I don't think its because he isn't taking chances

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

I, for one, think this is going to be bigger than many may think...

Offensive coordinators (believe it or not) look at film and game plans without the bias and purple zeal that we do.

Williams brings an intangible to the defense that Johnson does not. He has games under his belt and has played well...

NFL History

Ranked 6th on Bengals defense with 73 tackles and was 2nd among DBs...Matched his career-best with 2.0 sacks...Ranked 3rd on team with 40 yards on INT returns, including a 35-yarder off Matt Hasselbeck at Seattle (9/23)...Had 1st career game with a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in the season opener vs. Baltimore (9/10)...Started opening 12 games at FS and 13 total but ended season on injured reserve for the final game.

Proved to be a durable defender, starting all 16 games and played the most snaps of any Bengals player... Tied career-high with 3 INTs, including a season-long 25-yard return of a Drew Brees pass at New Orleans (11/19)...Forced a fumble on special teams at New Orleans (11/19) on Saints return man Michael Lewis that was recovered by return team and forced a fumble on defense at Cleveland (11/26)...Tied career-high with 11 tackles at Tampa Bay (10/15)...Posted Bengals 1st INT of the season in opener at Kansas City (9/10) when he grabbed a Trent Green pass.

Opened season as starter at FS but was sidelined by mid-October with shoulder injury...Had season-best 9 tackle and intercepted Bears QB Kyle Orton at Chicago (9/25)...Started opening 3 games at FS but missed 4th and 5th games of the season with shoulder injury...Started in 6th game of season at Tennessee (10/16) but re-aggravated injury...Placed on injured reserve on 10/31.

Played in all 16 games with 13 starts...Started games at CB, FS, SS during season...Had career-high 95 tackles...1st career start was at LCB in opener at NY Jets (9/12)...Scored a 51-yard TD on 1st career INT at Tennessee (10/31) off a Billy Volek pass...Had 1st career sack vs. Pittsburgh (11/21) when he caught Ben Roethlisberger for an 11-yard loss that pushed the Steelers out of FG range...Led team with 9 tackles and snared an INT off Vinny Testaverde vs. Dallas (11/7).
    http://www.vikings.com/TeamPlayerPro..._williams.aspx

The only real negative argument to be made is of injury risk. And, in a league violent in nature such as the NFL, this could be par for the course. A weak argument at best.

If nothing else he will evoke that second thought in the mind of opposing quarterbacks and offensive coordinators. At best, he'll be a hawk, and free up Sharper to do the same.

I'm glad he's finally ready.
    -Sno

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

The more important fact here imho ,is Madieu will be able to help out Cedric"Burned man" Griffin in that medium range passes in which the 23 always struggles
    El underdog.

"SnoBumMN" wrote:

Offensive coordinators (believe it or not) look at film and game plans without the bias and purple zeal that we do.

Williams brings an intangible to the defense that Johnson does not. He has games under his belt and has played well...

NFL History

Ranked 6th on Bengals defense with 73 tackles and was 2nd among DBs...Matched his career-best with 2.0 sacks...Ranked 3rd on team with 40 yards on INT returns, including a 35-yarder off Matt Hasselbeck at Seattle (9/23)...Had 1st career game with a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in the season opener vs. Baltimore (9/10)...Started opening 12 games at FS and 13 total but ended season on injured reserve for the final game.

Proved to be a durable defender, starting all 16 games and played the most snaps of any Bengals player... Tied career-high with 3 INTs, including a season-long 25-yard return of a Drew Brees pass at New Orleans (11/19)...Forced a fumble on special teams at New Orleans (11/19) on Saints return man Michael Lewis that was recovered by return team and forced a fumble on defense at Cleveland (11/26)...Tied career-high with 11 tackles at Tampa Bay (10/15)...Posted Bengals 1st INT of the season in opener at Kansas City (9/10) when he grabbed a Trent Green pass.

Opened season as starter at FS but was sidelined by mid-October with shoulder injury...Had season-best 9 tackle and intercepted Bears QB Kyle Orton at Chicago (9/25)...Started opening 3 games at FS but missed 4th and 5th games of the season with shoulder injury...Started in 6th game of season at Tennessee (10/16) but re-aggravated injury...Placed on injured reserve on 10/31.

Played in all 16 games with 13 starts...Started games at CB, FS, SS during season...Had career-high 95 tackles...1st career start was at LCB in opener at NY Jets (9/12)...Scored a 51-yard TD on 1st career INT at Tennessee (10/31) off a Billy Volek pass...Had 1st career sack vs. Pittsburgh (11/21) when he caught Ben Roethlisberger for an 11-yard loss that pushed the Steelers out of FG range...Led team with 9 tackles and snared an INT off Vinny Testaverde vs. Dallas (11/7).

The only real negative argument to be made is of injury risk. And, in a league violent in nature such as the NFL, this could be par for the course. A weak argument at best.

If nothing else he will evoke that second thought in the mind of opposing quarterbacks and offensive coordinators. At best, he'll be a hawk, and free up Sharper to do the same.

Excellent post my friend.
    Excellent indeed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"El" wrote:
    The more important fact here imho ,is Madieu will be able to help out Cedric"Burned man" Griffin in that medium range passes in which the 23 always struggles
    Although I don't think that Ced gets "Burned" as much as most of out tout on here, it is a valid point.

If anyone thinks that having the rook playing behind him in this scheme isn't affecting his play/expanded role then they should revisit the whole Cover 2 concept.

I've said it numerous times and alluded to it even more, I do not understand why they didn't roll Sharp to Griffs side and STJ to Whinny's side.
    Seems to me that would have spread the experience around a bit more as we all know the S's in this scheme are basically interchangeable (at least in theory).

Johnson has been working as the No. 2 strong safety to Sharper, but in the Tampa-2 scheme the Vikings run the safety positions are interchangeable. "It's been tough. It's just a mental strain because there are so many plays and so many gaps you've got to remember on every play," Johnson said of making the adjustment from Arkansas State to the Vikings.

Sharper expressed confidence in Johnson and said the key thing for him will be to make sure he's in the proper position. "With what we like to do, we have to make sure everyone is in a certain area and you have a certain area you have to cover," Sharper said. "You never have to do anyone else's job.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/26...tml?page=2&c=y

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

We can only hope.

Remind me again. Cover specialty? He can fill in as corner too?

lol

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"SnoBumMN" wrote:

NFL History

I agree that this guy would have made a big difference in our pass D if he could have come out of the blocks as our starter.
    Nothing against Tyrell, he's just a rookie that's trying to figure things out.
    At this point, not sure what to expect from him, but I would expect him to share the load with Tyrell for a little while to get his game legs and readjust.

The other good point you brought up was about his injury history.
    I didn't know much about this guy when we first signed him.
    After seeing highlights of his play and the little we saw him in preseason, I was surprised at how hard this guy can hit.
    Probably goes along with the injuries, but I definitely like to watch him go at it.
    Maybe AW can give him a few hints on how to lay the wood without getting hurt.
    Physically, Tyrell seems to be very similar to Madieu.
    After Tyrell gets a year or two under his belt and Madieu shows he can stay healthy, it should be a nice tandem playing safety for us.
    Between Tyrell, Madieu, AW and Griffin these guys will all make you feel it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast