Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings excited about their defense, if everyone stays healthy

I think the D played well those two games.
    The problem is they didn't play well for 4 quarters.
    As far as Rodgers is concerned one of his passes was about 1/3 of his total yards.
    On the TD pass he had about 6 chances to get it in the endzone thanks to horrible penalty calls (a couple on the players and a couple on the refs).

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    As far as Rodgers is concerned one of his passes was about 1/3 of his total yards.
    On the TD pass he had about 6 chances to get it in the endzone thanks to horrible penalty calls (a couple on the players and a couple on the refs).
    And the back-breaking score was a punt return, which is not a strike against the D.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    Thatnks for the read Marrdro.
    Hopefully the defense comes up huge this year and helps out the questionable QB situation.
    I worry more about our D-cord than I do the players My Sexy Little Pixie.
    Just don't have the man love for that cat like most on here.
    IMHO our Defense should have been better than it was last year, especially for the first two games, based on the QB's (one making first start/other coming off knee surgery and gol 'darnit rusty) and the patched together OL's that were protecting them.
    To be very honest I wish they would bring in Garcia.
    I know you and others think he is no better than a 9-7 guy but really how would we know?
    He hasn't played an entire season yet.
    I know he brought the Eagles to the playoffs two years ago when no one thought they had a chance.
    His record was better than 9-7.
    Last year he lost his job when he got hurt but when he played against our defense he made them look silly at times.
    He is accurate and smart with the rock.
    Ohhhhh, don't get me wrong on Garcia.
    I would love for them to bring him in.
    I just don't see him as the saviour most see him as.
    I just don't get it. Our D played extremely well in those games. Holding two solid offenses to 17.5 points is very good. That is the work of a top 5 D.
    How many sacks did they get on Rodgers and Manning?

Seriously, two crappy OL's and two QB's that should have been sitting ducks.

Did they play well against the run?
    Hell yes, however, Were was the pressure?
    Were were the INT"s.
    Dude don't know shit about how to use that DL to get pressure.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20080914016
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20070930016
    Marr did you happen to notice how long our D was on the field? Our offense couldn't get anything done! We held the Colts to all fieldgoals until the end! Our defense was solid, but our offense tired them out by not staying on the field

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I think the overall effect was pretty damned good. Our D played dominant in the first, and our offense could not take advantage, could barely even generate one big play, let alone first downs. It's not as if the second half was a completely different game. The only big differences were two big plays by the Colts offense, and a missed FG by Longwell.

I didn't see a fatigued team, so I think it has nothing to do with prepearation. It is simply extremely rare to shut Indy's offense down for 60 minutes. The lead should have been much bigger and the end of the half.

In general I'm not going to blame the D for keeping any offense, especially good ones, under 20 points.
    Rodgers was playing in his 1st NFL start... Manning was still recovering from a 2nd knee surgery and was behind an O Line full of injuries.
    Neither of these offenses was considered good at that point in the season.
    Like it or not, the Vikings O gave the team a 15 point lead with about 16 minutes left in the game... it was the D that blew that 2 score lead in the end.
    It was the D that gave up the big plays against both the Colts and the Packers... it was a Defense that failed to generate any turnovers or easy opportunities for the Offense.
    Could the Offense have played better?
    Sure.
    But the Offense did enough to win both of those games had the Defense done more of what it was supposed to.
    I struggle to even understand this argument. If anything, the D played solid, and the O played mediocre.

Those games were largley the offenses fault. There were plenty of opportunities which the defense generated for the offense, including a blocked FG vs. GB, and two Peyton INTs, both which led to FG attempts. One which Longwell missed.

Vs GB, the offense had 6 points through the first 3 quarters. TJ was under 50% completion in the game. Our WR corps combined for 5 catches.

Vs. Indy, TJ had under 150 yards passing, our WR corps again had only 5 catches, and we never got in the endzone despite drives that started at our OWN 42, OWN 39, OWN 48, OWN 48, OWN 38, INDY 46, and INDY 47. That's 5 drives where we had to go less than 60 yards to score.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I don't want to debate specific games.
    Over all I would like to see an upgrade at the nickel CB position and better depth at safety and defensive tackle.

Can't wait to see EJ fly around again.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"Zeus" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    And the back-breaking score was a punt return, which is not a strike against the D.

=Z=
    That is true as well against GB.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    That's the game to which I was referring....since your post mentioned Rodgers.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    That's the game to which I was referring....since your post mentioned Rodgers.

=Z=
    Yeah.
    My post was worded incorrectly.
    Sorry about that.
    I shouldn't have included "against GB"
    ??? :

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

If you'll recall, our defense was killin the colts but our offense couldn't get a single TD out of 6 redzone opportunitities, and at the end of the game when a first down would have won it for us, we had no offense at all.
    Blame it on TJack if you want (seems most do) or blame it on our boring playcalling (I'll say at least partially responsible) or blame it on our OL inability to block speed rushers and Jackson getting stripped, but don't blame it on the defense, cuz other than 1 or 2 extremely lucky plays, they were excellent!!
    I just watched that game again last week.

Like it or not, GB has a really good QB and very, very good WRs.
    They are very adept at running the quick slant which, unfortunately, nuetralizes pass rush AND zone defense very effectively.
    Their offense was 8th in the league in yards/game and 5th in Scoring last season.
    Personally, I'll once again blame the offense for keeping our defense on the field all together too much...And, those old dirty bastard CBs that GB has that were holding hands with our WRs on pretty much every play.
    Thus, why we need a game breaker playmaker at WR.

All in all, I thought our defense held pretty strong against 2 of the best passing QBs/teams in the league...both of whom are very good at running quick release pass plays to beat the rush.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    If you'll recall, our defense was killin the colts but our offense couldn't get a single TD out of 6 redzone opportunitities, and at the end of the game when a first down would have won it for us, we had no offense at all.
    Blame it on TJack if you want (seems most do) or blame it on our boring playcalling (I'll say at least partially responsible) or blame it on our OL inability to block speed rushers and Jackson getting stripped, but don't blame it on the defense, cuz other than 1 or 2 extremely lucky plays, they were excellent!!
    I just watched that game again last week.

Like it or not, GB has a really good QB and very, very good WRs.
    They are very adept at running the quick slant which, unfortunately, nuetralizes pass rush AND zone defense very effectively.
    Their offense was 8th in the league in yards/game and 5th in Scoring last season.
    Personally, I'll once again blame the offense for keeping our defense on the field all together too much...And, those old dirty bastard CBs that GB has that were holding hands with our WRs on pretty much every play.
    Thus, why we need a game breaker playmaker at WR.

All in all, I thought our defense held pretty strong against 2 of the best passing QBs/teams in the league...both of whom are very good at running quick release pass plays to beat the rush.
    I'll like to add this was a defense that had a Rook at Saftey!
    I would have liked us to sure up our DB position with a veteren CB like Rolle, Mac, or Trufant.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast