Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,599
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings - Everything Gets Offseason Evaluation

    "patistheman" wrote:
    Can somebody please explain how Childress ever got labled as a "offensive genius" in the first place.
    I never understood that even before i ever watched a game that he coached.
    When you have never called a play in the NFL before how do you become and "offensive genius" overnight?
    Well first, I don't think anyone ever labeled him as an offensive genius.
    There was a lot of talk about his skill in working with QBs, especially because of McNabb, so a few people labeled him a QB guru.
    And I think that label still fits, given the potential he saw in TJack.
    Now let's hope he can turn TJack in to as good of a QB as McNabb, if not better.

    Second, there is a lot more to offense than just calling plays.
    In fact, calling plays should be one of the easier things to do.
    Developing the plays and instilling them in the players is the hard part.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #12
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Vikings - Everything Gets Offseason Evaluation

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "patistheman" wrote:
    Can somebody please explain how Childress ever got labled as a "offensive genius" in the first place.
    I never understood that even before i ever watched a game that he coached.
    When you have never called a play in the NFL before how do you become and "offensive genius" overnight?
    Well first, I don't think anyone ever labeled him as an offensive genius.
    There was a lot of talk about his skill in working with QBs, especially because of McNabb, so a few people labeled him a QB guru.
    And I think that label still fits, given the potential he saw in TJack.
    Now let's hope he can turn TJack in to as good of a QB as McNabb, if not better.

    Second, there is a lot more to offense than just calling plays.
    In fact, calling plays should be one of the easier things to do.
    Developing the plays and instilling them in the players is the hard part.
    I think Childress was labeled as a good offensive coordinator because of the production of the Eagles' offense AND McNabb's development.

    You can criticize him all you want for never being the one to call plays, but he was still the one who developed a very successful system. He was also the one who gameplanned week in and week out for the offense and put together a successful plan for each opponent when he was with the Eagles.

  3. #13
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Vikings - Everything Gets Offseason Evaluation

    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "patistheman" wrote:
    Can somebody please explain how Childress ever got labled as a "offensive genius" in the first place.
    I never understood that even before i ever watched a game that he coached.
    When you have never called a play in the NFL before how do you become and "offensive genius" overnight?
    Well first, I don't think anyone ever labeled him as an offensive genius.
    There was a lot of talk about his skill in working with QBs, especially because of McNabb, so a few people labeled him a QB guru.
    And I think that label still fits, given the potential he saw in TJack.
    Now let's hope he can turn TJack in to as good of a QB as McNabb, if not better.

    Second, there is a lot more to offense than just calling plays.
    In fact, calling plays should be one of the easier things to do.
    Developing the plays and instilling them in the players is the hard part.
    I think Childress was labeled as a good offensive coordinator because of the production of the Eagles' offense AND McNabb's development.

    You can criticize him all you want for never being the one to call plays, but he was still the one who developed a very successful system. He was also the one who gameplanned week in and week out for the offense and put together a successful plan for each opponent when he was with the Eagles.
    Fair point and there have been times this year when the plays called have been the right ones for the situation. In addition there have been a lot of plays that didn't succeed due to poor execution for various reasons. I still believe that his offensive schemes will work when called properly, so in that respect there is scope for him to labelled as a good offensive coordinator. All that is needed now is someone else to decide when to call the various plays.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  4. #14
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,198

    Re: Vikings - Everything Gets Offseason Evaluation

    "Ltrey" wrote:

    I think Childress was labeled as a good offensive coordinator because of the production of the Eagles' offense AND McNabb's development.
    There is something to be said about having a skilled athlectic QB at your disposal as well.

    How much of that success was McNabb & how much was Childress.

    Lest not forget Childress worked with McMahon also. I don't exactly see him shining brite anywhere.

    Childress thought so highly of him he brought his sorry ass here.

    What has Childress done for BJ?

    What has Childress done for Bollinger?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #15
    nephilimstorm's Avatar
    nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,184

    Re: Vikings - Everything Gets Offseason Evaluation

    Well I think CHILDRESS needs help on this team thou, its not all his fault. Maybe some strictness in camp or something cause this year was a year wasted i think

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings coach thorough in QB evaluation
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 12:22 PM
  2. Vikings' bad offseason moves
    By HEY in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 05:41 AM
  3. My offseason wish list / Evaluation by position
    By NodakPaul in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 12:31 PM
  4. sport card evaluation??
    By magicci in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2006, 03:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •