Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Vikings eager to win back fans

Vikings eager to win back fans

BY DON SEEHOLZER

Pioneer Press

A struggling team on and off the field, the Vikings aren't sure what kind of reception they'll get from the home fans at Sunday's game against NFC North rival Green Bay.

Suffice to say they are hoping for the best while preparing for the worst.

"I think there'll be some discouraged fans early on, and that wouldn't disappoint me," coach Mike Tice said Wednesday. "They deserve to be disappointed right now. We need to get something going early to get that fan base cranked up and going. That would really help the energy of our football team."

Tice is hoping for a repeat of the Sept. 25 game against New Orleans, when the 0-2 Vikings started quickly and got the crowd into the game in a 33-16 victory.

Of course, that was before the infamous Oct. 6 boat party on Lake Minnetonka, so some fans might be upset about more than the team's 1-4 record this time.

"I've heard the boos before," center Matt Birk said. "Can't blame them. You pay $80 to sit in a seat and drink beer. I'd boo, too."

Running back Michael Bennett is a bit more optimistic.

"Knowing the fan base, I think they're going to be with us," he said. "There are a lot of distractions going on right now. But once it comes game time, I think they'll have our back, and we'll go out and try to give them something to cheer about."

Tight end Jermaine Wiggins said he doesn't know or care, really, what kind of reception to expect.

"Hopefully, it's positive, but if it's not, we've still got a job to do," he said. "We'll find out Sunday."

Sharper responds: Vikings safety Darren Sharper denied being aboard either charter boat Oct. 6, even though his name was on a list published by the Minneapolis-based Star Tribune.

"I wasn't there," Sharper said Wednesday. "You can quote me on that."

Receiver Koren Robinson, who also is on the Star Tribune's list, reiterated what he told the Pioneer Press on Saturday, that he was not on either boat.

New guy: Guard Toniu Fonoti, acquired from San Diego in a trade Tuesday, underwent a series of medical reviews on his broken right hand as a condition of finalizing the deal.

Tice said he doesn't foresee any playing time in the next week or two for Fonoti, who needs time for his hand to heal and to get back into game shape. Once that happens, though, Tice said he could see Fonoti competing with Adam Goldberg for the starting right guard spot.

"Absolutely, I would," Tice said. "The reason why we traded for him was to create some competition there and possibly move Marcus (Johnson) out to right tackle and create some competition there (with Mike Rosenthal). Any time you can add a big, aggressive offensive lineman, I think that's good for your football team."

Goldberg, asked his reaction to the trade and Tice's comments, said: "I honestly don't know anything about it. I've got no response to it."

Fonoti, a former second-round draft choice who is in the final year of his contract, was acquired for a seventh-round pick that could upgrade to a sixth if he dresses for six games or starts three this season.

"He's a high-end player," Tice said. "He's a very good player. … I think he's very highly thought of, especially as a run blocker."

Not a tirade: Bennett and defensive lineman Spencer Johnson disputed a report in this week's edition of Sports Illustrated that owner Zygi Wilf delivered a "profanity-laced address" to the team during Friday's meeting.

"It hasn't been quoted what he said, but it was nothing like that," Bennett said. "It was all positive."

Johnson said Wilf just expressed how disappointed he was with everything that was going on.

"He did use a couple of profanity words, but it wasn't a big deal," Johnson said. "It wasn't an angry tirade. We're all grown men, and he used a couple of words. It wasn't like, 'mother this, mother that.' It wasn't like that. Nothing like that."

Injury report: Wide receiver Nate Burleson made it through a full practice and is expected to return to the starting lineup Sunday after missing the past three games because of a sprained knee ligament.

"At times I felt 100 percent, and at times I felt a little tweak," Burleson said. "Obviously, I'm not going to be 100 percent at all times. But those times when I don't feel it, I can't complain."

In addition to Burleson, the Vikings are listing four other players as probable: Johnson (knee), cornerback Brian Williams (knee), running back Moe Williams (knee) and linebacker Dontarrious Thomas (shoulder).

Court date: The domestic assault case against defensive tackle Kevin Williams was continued until Monday while the judge took pretrial evidentiary motions under advisement.

Williams' attorney, Allan Caplan, said the judge has been asked to decide whether "certain statements made by Mrs. Williams are admissible without her being present."

Williams pleaded not guilty Sept. 13 to a misdemeanor charge of fifth-degree domestic assault. He was arrested by Minnetonka police Aug. 28 after his wife, Tasha, called 911 following an early-morning altercation at their home.

Briefly: The Vikings re-signed defensive end Earl Cochran to their practice squad and released cornerback Ukee Dozier. Defensive lineman Matt Mitrione was released to make room for Fonoti.

==============================================

I'll still be rooting on the Vikings. This season isn't over yet by a long shot. I'm an Astros fan, and the press proclaimed them dead when their record was 15-30. Now we're in the big show.

Anything can happen. Go Vikes!
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings eager to win back fans

It should be interesting to see how all the fans in the dome react on sunday. I'm sure there will be some boos, but for the most part I think the fans will be cheering for the Vikes. I know I will.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Gee I am so glad Wiggins doesn't care. He was on the boat with his weird looking a**

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

I hope we just start winning and all the bullsh!t goes away!

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

SamDawg84 Guest

Thats a nice article. I dont think Wiggins doesn't care Polo. If it is negative he isnt gonna let it bother him

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"DCPologirl" wrote:
    Gee I am so glad Wiggins doesn't care. He was on the boat with his weird looking a**
    Wiggins rocks!!!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Vikes" wrote:
    "DCPologirl" wrote:
    Wiggins rocks!!!
    He was that night! :razz:

not only does Wiggins rock, he is their best recever too
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=102 252940

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Don't boo it's bad for your health, just swear profusely!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

not incredibly impressed by the article... there is no sense of urgency by the team to turn the shite around. they are too busy worrying who is on the boat list and who is not. of course a win against our biggest rival would win fans back...that is too obvious.

at least burleson will be back this week... he tears up the pack!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast