Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I think the right DB can stay closer to the WR and even press/bump him at the LOS to throw off the timing with the QB and to shorten the hole in the zone between the DB and the LB. Nowhere have I ever stated that it will eliminate the responsibility the LB has in the grand scheme of things. However, speed and reach shrink the open spots in zones and make it more of a challenge for the offense to get a completion.

Yep. And nothing I said is challenging that.

Yep. The variable is how close can the DB stay to the WR during that time and how quickly can the LB react to the guy coming into his zone and take over for the DB.

You don't have to take it away and you probably won't. But if you knock him on his ass when he crosses the LOS it certainly puts a wrinkle in his pattern compared to giving him free range to run what he wants and then just trying to tackle him after the catch. Surely just like me you played DB a bit in HS and if so you know exactly what I mean in that when you give them a shot right out of the gates they tend to change the way they do things. That isn't even new school, heck, I remember the Packers doing just that to the vaunted Niners back in the 90's when they started to dethrone them.
    That made me chuckle.....

Look, just because we run the C2 doesn't mean we don't press. I think I saw something last year that when posted on here surprised a bunch of you on how often we do press, but in this scheme and no detriment to our CB's, they will be told to lay off at times. Its the nature of the scheme.

Mix in that there just aren't alot of cover CB's coming out and you'll get a defense that isn't very exciting to watch.

In the end, our biggest issue is and has always been when we blitz our LB'rs (on the short to intermediate routes). It opens up to much stuff underneath which to the casual fan, looks like a hit on the CB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

Look, just because we run the C2 doesn't mean we don't press. I think I saw something last year that when posted on here surprised a bunch of you on how often we do press, but in this scheme and no detriment to our CB's, they will be told to lay off at times. Its the nature of the scheme.

Mix in that there just aren't alot of cover CB's coming out and you'll get a defense that isn't very exciting to watch.

In the end, our biggest issue is and has always been when we blitz our LB'rs (on the short to intermediate routes). It opens up to much stuff underneath which to the casual fan, looks like a hit on the CB.

We are likely to see a heavy dose of that this year also.
    Still likely weak in the middle, but maybe someone steps up and surprises us. I am hoping it is Cole

By the way marr, you missed some pretty funny stuff while you were gone. the funniest of which was PF being labled as the Vikings Yes man.
    Last edited by marshallvike; 05-03-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Still likely weak in the middle, but maybe someone steps up and surprises us. I am hoping it is Cole
    I hope not. I hope that the addition of Shariff will allow us to play Guion a bit more in his natural position. That, along with Ballard in the rotation should help keep their legs a bit fresher should really help improve our middle play on the DL.

Shariff, either at the 3 or the 1 should provide us with instant pressure from that area that hasn't been there for 2 or 3 years. That should help alleviate the need to blitz with LBrs as much as well as provide a opening for the QB to step up and around the edge rush provided by the DE's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

By the way marr, you missed some pretty funny stuff while you were gone. the funniest of which was PF being labled as the Vikings Yes man.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

PF meaning Purple Floyd? Someone needs to bump a thread....

PF meaning Purple Floyd? Someone needs to bump a thread....
    The one and only

The one and only
    Bump the thread or at least tell me the thread title.

Bump the thread or at least tell me the thread title.
    Just bumped one where I believe it began. The Yes man title has stuck since then.

This Is No Way To Do Business

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Just bumped one where I believe it began. The Yes man title has stuck since then.

This Is No Way To Do Business
    Hey, I just shed my old skin and am getting pretty comfortable in my new one.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I think the right DB can stay closer to the WR and even press/bump him at the LOS to throw off the timing with the QB and to shorten the hole in the zone between the DB and the LB. Nowhere have I ever stated that it will eliminate the responsibility the LB has in the grand scheme of things. However, speed and reach shrink the open spots in zones and make it more of a challenge for the offense to get a completion.

Yep. And nothing I said is challenging that.

Yep. The variable is how close can the DB stay to the WR during that time and how quickly can the LB react to the guy coming into his zone and take over for the DB.

You don't have to take it away and you probably won't. But if you knock him on his ass when he crosses the LOS it certainly puts a wrinkle in his pattern compared to giving him free range to run what he wants and then just trying to tackle him after the catch. Surely just like me you played DB a bit in HS and if so you know exactly what I mean in that when you give them a shot right out of the gates they tend to change the way they do things. That isn't even new school, heck, I remember the Packers doing just that to the vaunted Niners back in the 90's when they started to dethrone them.

I`m pretty sure we blitzed the least of all NFL teams last year.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast