Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Agree, but in the end, our pass defensive woes are going to be solved by a certain Warpig drafted in the first round.
    You mean that undersized, versatile, tasmanian devil guy with t-rex arms? Warpig just doesn't seem to fit..but if it keeps you off the we need a warpig bandwagon, warpig it is.

I also love how you continue to trivialize the back 7 when it comes to pass defense. Takes a village my friend.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    You mean that undersized, versatile, tasmanian devil guy with t-rex arms? Warpig just doesn't seem to fit..but if it keeps you off the we need a warpig bandwagon, warpig it is.

I also love how you continue to trivialize the back 7 when it comes to pass defense. Takes a village my friend.
    LOL, you crack me up....... Who said a Warpig has to be a big fat slow guy?

And I don't trivialize the back 7. I just believe that their play will be improved if you can get better pressure out of our DT positions. Truth of the matter is, our whole defensive scheme is predicated on it or did you miss the thread I started on defense (again) today?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

LOL, you crack me up....... Who said a Warpig has to be a big fat slow guy?

And I don't trivialize the back 7. I just believe that their play will be improved if you can get better pressure out of our DT positions. Truth of the matter is, our whole defensive scheme is predicated on it or did you miss the thread I started on defense (again) today?
    Of course their play will be improved if you give the QB less time, doesn't mean they can suck in coverage though like Brinkely and Henderson.

On the warpig thing, some crazy internet guy named Marrdro put this definition out there going into the draft:

Usually wide-bodied players that weigh around 330 pounds are more run stuffers than pass rushers
    Also, don't get caught up on the strict sense of what we run on defense or offense. The text books are very slow in keeping up with the tweaks and variations made across the NFL based on talent and matchups. The Vikings showed a lot of different looks last year and will no doubt continue to evolve as the game evolves.

Of course their play will be improved if you give the QB less time, doesn't mean they can suck in coverage though like Brinkely and Henderson.

On the warpig thing, some crazy internet guy named Marrdro put this definition out there going into the draft:

Also, don't get caught up on the strict sense of what we run on defense or offense. The text books are very slow in keeping up with the tweaks and variations made across the NFL based on talent and matchups. The Vikings showed a lot of different looks last year and will no doubt continue to evolve as the game evolves.
    Pay close attention to the word "Usually" in that quote. Did I mention (in that post) that I wouldn't call Warren Sap a fat guy but I would call him a true Warpig?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Pay close attention to the word "Usually" in that quote. Did I mention (in that post) that I wouldn't call Warren Sap a fat guy but I would call him a true Warpig?
    Lol, got ya, Marrdroese spreadsheet has been updated.

lol, got ya, marrdroese spreadsheet has been updated.
    lol

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I would argue that with the changes to the way that defenders can cover the WR's that the pass rush is not as much a factor as it used to be and that coverage is more important than it used to be when Marty's defensive bible was chiseled out of stone.

With the way defenses are being spread out and the way the QB has been nearly relegated to a touch football position they can pick apart a defense with a poor secondary faster than the DL can get to them to disrupt things. By having a DB that can lock onto a WR at the LOS and take away those quick hitting passes they used to make against us in the soft zone it now puts more pressure on the QB to hold onto the ball and go through his progressions and that is going to give the DL a split second longer to get to the QB and rattle them.

Hopefully bringing in a few new LB's with more range is going to help both the d line and the secondary by not requiring them to cover for the deficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I would argue that with the changes to the way that defenders can cover the WR's that the pass rush is not as much a factor as it used to be and that coverage is more important than it used to be when Marty's defensive bible was chiseled out of stone.

With the way defenses are being spread out and the way the QB has been nearly relegated to a touch football position they can pick apart a defense with a poor secondary faster than the DL can get to them to disrupt things. By having a DB that can lock onto a WR at the LOS and take away those quick hitting passes they used to make against us in the soft zone it now puts more pressure on the QB to hold onto the ball and go through his progressions and that is going to give the DL a split second longer to get to the QB and rattle them.

Hopefully bringing in a few new LB's with more range is going to help both the d line and the secondary by not requiring them to cover for the deficiencies.
    So you think the DB takes away the quick slant in this scheme instead of a LB dropping 2 steps into his zone?

My bible isn't that old my friend. Sure there have been some changes in the game, but the basics are still the basics.

The DB presses the WR either out to the sideline (his responsibility) or into the passing lane being taken away by the LBr.

Aren't many CB's going to take the slant away from Wes Welker without LB help. The last thing you do as a CB (and it was still that way in 78 when I played) is get underneath that route in an attempt to get an INT.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    So you think the DB takes away the quick slant in this scheme instead of a LB dropping 2 steps into his zone?
    I think the right DB can stay closer to the WR and even press/bump him at the LOS to throw off the timing with the QB and to shorten the hole in the zone between the DB and the LB. Nowhere have I ever stated that it will eliminate the responsibility the LB has in the grand scheme of things. However, speed and reach shrink the open spots in zones and make it more of a challenge for the offense to get a completion.

My bible isn't that old my friend. Sure there have been some changes in the game, but the basics are still the basics.
    Yep. And nothing I said is challenging that.

The DB presses the WR either out to the sideline (his responsibility) or into the passing lane being taken away by the LBr.
    Yep. The variable is how close can the DB stay to the WR during that time and how quickly can the LB react to the guy coming into his zone and take over for the DB.

Aren't many CB's going to take the slant away from Wes Welker without LB help. The last thing you do as a CB (and it was still that way in 78 when I played) is get underneath that route in an attempt to get an INT.
    You don't have to take it away and you probably won't. But if you knock him on his ass when he crosses the LOS it certainly puts a wrinkle in his pattern compared to giving him free range to run what he wants and then just trying to tackle him after the catch. Surely just like me you played DB a bit in HS and if so you know exactly what I mean in that when you give them a shot right out of the gates they tend to change the way they do things. That isn't even new school, heck, I remember the Packers doing just that to the vaunted Niners back in the 90's when they started to dethrone them.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post

Seems to me coverage has always been important; the Vikings haven't had any guys good in coverage for awhile. I would be pleased if there were one corner who could give Marshall and Megatron a bad day!
    With Smith at safety a good corner would allow the defense to do more than they have in the past with more press coverage.
    Cook as a big cb should be suited for press coverage but plays off most of the time. Hopefully we'll see more press coverage from Rhodes.
    The combination of better coverage and more pressure up the middle would be a marked improvement. Hopefully the linebackers will be able to cover.

One thing not mentioned much is the quality of the nickel backer. That is your weakest back on the field, and the other teams quarterback knows that.
    The nickel and even dime backers need upgraded but that may be hard to do with Winfield gone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast