Json is offline GM

Vikings' draft board an education, starting with Peterson pick

Round 1
    This is what I like about what Minnesota did here: It took the best player out there, and it did it by sticking to its draft board.

The Vikings could have had quarterback Brady Quinn. Or defensive end Jamaal Anderson. Or any receiver not named Calvin Johnson. But those guys weren't at the top of the board. Peterson was.

"We talked about Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson," said Spielman, "and once we got through our meetings I put us in six different mock drafts, with all six of those guys falling to us. But I didn't expect both Adrian Peterson and Brady Quinn to be there when we picked.

"Adrian Peterson was the third highest-rated player on our board, and he was just too good to pass up. You cannot have enough running backs. Plus, I know how important it is for us to run the ball, the type of offense we have and what coach (Brad) Childress wants."

Translation: The Vikings believe they need Peterson more than they need Quinn -- which means Tarvaris Jackson can exhale. The only obstacle now between the second-year quarterback and a starting job is Brooks Bollinger.

The question with Peterson, of course, is a collarbone he broke during the season and re-injured in the Fiesta Bowl. There was speculation that Peterson might require another surgery, but Peterson last week dismissed the idea.

"We had him brought in," said Spielman, "and our doctors felt fine with the collarbone. I don't know what we'll do to make sure that is ready, but I do know he's scheduled to participate in the weekend minicamp and be ready by time we get into training camp.

"I don't have any doubt he will come in here, have success and have a great career."

Click link below for the rest!

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10161196

Great 3 page article breaking down each pick by the vikes.
    Hope it hasn't been posted yet, and if it was I'm sorry (I swear I looked).

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings' draft board an education, starting with Peterson pick

Already posted like 3 days ago..i was trying to post it too but i got beat to it

Json is offline GM

I'd delete but I can't...Dang it I figured this would happen...thats why I normally don't post

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

By searching for the word "education", this is what I got:
    http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=149&action=search2

Pick a word that is not very common from the thread and do an advanced search on it and set it to "Most recent topics first".

Please do not post entire articles.
    A link will suffice.
    You can add a quote as well.