Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    skol_vikes! is offline Rookie

Re: Vikings: Don’t Believe The 'Sota Hype

"sufuvike93" wrote:
    What about the Carolina Panthers? They aren't overhyped?!
    : ???
    ESPN has them at 18 on the power rankings.
    "If it's not fun, you're not doing it right. "
    ~ Fran Tarkenton

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"MaxVike" wrote:
    Clearly, Will Flanagan is a hack.
    The premise of the article is that the Vikes are overhyped...where?
    The Vikes are picked to finish second in the NFC North by most sources I have found.
    Also, comparing the '08 Vikes to the '06 49ers and the '07 Cardinals is lame.

From the, gee, PP.O is my source for this article, department:
    If Jackson doesn’t get his head on straight, this Vikings team won’t be going as far as everyone predicts.
    Duh, thanks for the insight Will...
    Also, who's "everyone?"
    ???

The Vikes have 7 Pro-Bowlers on the roster, led the NFL in rushing and rush defense, as well as points scored by the defense last year...get over yourself Wilbur
    > and go back to school for your degree.
    Actually, I'd say I've seen more pundits than not say that the Jared Allen acquisition clearly makes the Vikings the lead dog in the NFC North race.

The comparison to the '07 49ers may be somewhat fair.
    Didn't the 06 Niners finish 8-8 or 7-9, a big improvement from 05?
    Alex Smith clearly took a big step backwards last year, though Frank Gore (while good) is no Adrian Peterson.

The crux of the article is still valid. The Vikings are being heavily hyped right now, and it would seem the only thing potentially standing in the way of their success is whether Jackson will be decent or horrid.
    The author merely is cautioning that you can't believe all the hype you read...you have to see how the team actually plays on the field when the games count.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

I'm not mad at the guy for doubting us - his skepticism is well-founded.
    We haven't even played a down yet, and TJack still has a lot to prove (though I think he's capable of proving it).

That being said, his writing style is pretty shoddy, as is much of his analysis.
    He seems to insinuate that teams like the Vikings are invariably overhyped.
    This isn't always the case - some such teams remain relatively ignored, while others actually live up to their lofty preseason expectations.

Again, the basic message of "Don't believe the hype" is indeed a valid one.
    However, Mr. Flanagan did a poor job of conveying that message in an intelligent, non-annoying manner.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Ok everyone says that TJ won't be able to do the job.
    When he is fully healthy he can be more then servicable.
    Can anyone remember such quarterbacks as Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer, or Train Rex Grossman?
    They all led good teams.
    TJ led a nice comeback last year when we had completely abandoned the run....
    He has a winning record as a starter does he not?
    ~~I'm but one Vikings fan in a sea of Frudge Packers!!!~~

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

If Jackson doesn’t get his head on straight, this Vikings' team won’t be going as far as everyone predicts.
    Ok but we will still be better than 8-8, which most likely will get us into the playoffs and isn't that all we really need? The playoffs is a whole different animal and anything can happen. Raise your hand if you thought the Giants would win the Super Bowl when they made the playoffs.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"purplepat" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    Clearly, Will Flanagan is a hack.
    The premise of the article is that the Vikes are overhyped...where?
    The Vikes are picked to finish second in the NFC North by most sources I have found.
    Also, comparing the '08 Vikes to the '06 49ers and the '07 Cardinals is lame.

From the, gee, PP.O is my source for this article, department:
    If Jackson doesn’t get his head on straight, this Vikings team won’t be going as far as everyone predicts.
    Duh, thanks for the insight Will...
    Also, who's "everyone?"
    ???

The Vikes have 7 Pro-Bowlers on the roster, led the NFL in rushing and rush defense, as well as points scored by the defense last year...get over yourself Wilbur
    > and go back to school for your degree.
    Actually, I'd say I've seen more pundits than not say that the Jared Allen acquisition clearly makes the Vikings the lead dog in the NFC North race.

The comparison to the '07 49ers may be somewhat fair.
    Didn't the 06 Niners finish 8-8 or 7-9, a big improvement from 05?
    Alex Smith clearly took a big step backwards last year, though Frank Gore (while good) is no Adrian Peterson.

The crux of the article is still valid. The Vikings are being heavily hyped right now, and it would seem the only thing potentially standing in the way of their success is whether Jackson will be decent or horrid.
    The author merely is cautioning that you can't believe all the hype you read...you have to see how the team actually plays on the field when the games count.
    OK, I will give you that...especially with the use of the word, pundit, which, most of us are
    ;D when it comes to the Vikes.
    I guess my point is more zeroed in on the fact that we have 7 Pro-Bowlers, several of which are the best at their position...I don't think a similar argument can be made for the author's comparison's; in fact, not sure if there is another non-playoff team with our pedigree.
    Bottom line...we have the players, QB must execute in order for us to succeed.
    We have all been saying that................for months.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"marstc09" wrote:
    If Jackson doesn’t get his head on straight, this Vikings' team won’t be going as far as everyone predicts.
    Ok but we will still be better than 8-8, which most likely will get us into the playoffs and isn't that all we really need? The playoffs is a whole different animal and anything can happen. Raise your hand if you thought the Giants would win the Super Bowl when they made the playoffs.
    I think we would have made it there last year & probably lost in the first round, had not T-Jack got injured.

We were 8-4 with him in there & 0-4 when he wasn't.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I really can't argue with the article.

The Vikings perfectly meet the criteria for the overhyped team. First, they were a non-playoff team, just barely missing out on a playoff berth in 2007. Second, they brought in the likes of Bernard Berrian and Madieu Williams through free agency. Third, they had a very good draft after several picks yielded them a superstar in Jared Allen.
    All true.

It’s hard to argue with the potential success of the Vikings this upcoming season. Allen easily makes this the best defensive line in football. Berrian is a much better option at wide receiver than Troy Williamson ever was. Williams is a vast improvement at safety over the troubled Dwight Smith. The team still has Adrian Peterson and an offensive line that remains intact from last season. Above all else, Brett Favre is out of the NFC North.

Unfortunately, the Vikings still have one player who will ultimately doom the success of the team: quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.
    I would change that italicized word to may, and then I would have no arguments with him.
    It is silly to be confident at this point in the season that any player will doom at team.
    But of the players that we have on our team, I would say that TJack has the highest chance of doing so.

I disagree with his conclusion - that TJack will fail, and with him the Minnesota Vikings.
    But I absolutely agree with his last sentence.

Fortunately, the converse is also true.
    If Jackson does get his head on straight, the Vikings will be going very, very far.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    I think we would have made it there last year & probably lost in the first round, had not T-Jack got injured.

We were 8-4 with him in there & 0-4 when he wasn't.
    We proballyw still would have lost those 4 games he was out. He's not Manning.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I really can't argue with the article.

The Vikings perfectly meet the criteria for the overhyped team. First, they were a non-playoff team, just barely missing out on a playoff berth in 2007. Second, they brought in the likes of Bernard Berrian and Madieu Williams through free agency. Third, they had a very good draft after several picks yielded them a superstar in Jared Allen.
    All true.

It’s hard to argue with the potential success of the Vikings this upcoming season. Allen easily makes this the best defensive line in football. Berrian is a much better option at wide receiver than Troy Williamson ever was. Williams is a vast improvement at safety over the troubled Dwight Smith. The team still has Adrian Peterson and an offensive line that remains intact from last season. Above all else, Brett Favre is out of the NFC North.

Unfortunately, the Vikings still have one player who will ultimately doom the success of the team: quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.
    I would change that italicized word to may, and then I would have no arguments with him.
    It is silly to be confident at this point in the season that any player will doom at team.
    But of the players that we have on our team, I would say that TJack has the highest chance of doing so.

I disagree with his conclusion - that TJack will fail, and with him the Minnesota Vikings.
    But I absolutely agree with his last sentence.

Fortunately, the converse is also true.
    If Jackson does get his head on straight, the Vikings will be going very, very far.
    agreed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast