Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' defense suddenly springs a major leak

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Vikings' defense suddenly springs a major leak

There also are some adjustments to make. Tomlin knows the NFL is a copycat league and that the Vikings are likely to see the spread offense again, especially if their run defense continues to make life miserable for opponents. So Tomlin has made a few tweaks to guard against pass-happy schemes.
    I just hope they are the right "tweaks".

My opinion was that it would take more of a bigger change in the defensive game strategy than just a few tweaks.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Here is a big tweak they can make.. Bench Fred Smoot, and cut his lazy a$$ at seasons end.. Every team knows that if they need to pick up a quick 10 yards just throw it to whoever Smoot is covering.. He is the weak link on that defense, and while every player got smoked against New England, he has been getting smoked all season so far..

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    Here is a big tweak they can make.. Bench Fred Smoot, and cut his lazy a$$ at seasons end.. Every team knows that if they need to pick up a quick 10 yards just throw it to whoever Smoot is covering.. He is the weak link on that defense, and while every player got smoked against New England, he has been getting smoked all season so far..
    Seems to me that the ones having big plays made on them in the past weeks have been Whitaker, Smith & Winfield.

I for one would have absolutely no problem if the Vikes jettisoned Smoot after this season. I've never liked the guy's personality and, while his on-the-field play and abilities can be debated (never mind his off-the-field play), I personally would like to see us go in a different direction next season.

And yes, Whitaker, Smith and Winfield have been playing some lackluster games as of late, but in their defense, Smith and Winfield have also been making some plays. Whitaker on the other hand seems to struggle at times, but he really seems to be nothing more than a stop gap measure at this point. Coming into the season I was under the impression that he would be a special teamer and not much more. I was actually a bit surprised when he made the final roster cut.

And although it's not mentioned very much, I also think we have really missed Dovonte Edwards on this defense. While not a probowl caliber player, I think he was to be a major part of Tomlin's D. His injury during that last preseason game in Dallas really hurt us IMO. I hope he comes back strong next season.

But, regardless of injury, one sign of a great team is to step it up when some of the starters go down and to play harder than ever in the face of adversity. I hope our defense and offense perform better than they have all season Sunday. It could be the start of a big rebound that catapoults us into the post-season.
    Even babies know the difference.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I'm betting Smoot will be gone, too, if we can get a 2nd or 3rd draft choice for him.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

DT is starting at MLB.

wow, thats a move i wouldnt have expected. i've been a dontarious fan for awhile, and hope he can excel in this new scheme and beat those 9ers!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"vikes09" wrote:
    DT is starting at MLB.

wow, thats a move i wouldnt have expected. i've been a dontarious fan for awhile, and hope he can excel in this new scheme and beat those 9ers!!!
    He handled the MLB position just fine his rookie year when he stepped in for EJ.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

MediaLoca is offline Rookie

there is a leak but i don't believe its our coverage. Our kryptonite is our defesive line. The reason we lost by that much to the patriots (Other than getting cheated) was because bell-in-check knew that his offensive line would win the battle. their line vs our line. this is why we lost, we had no pressure on tom brady AND when we did is when we blitzed one or two of our linebackers, Like i said before THERE is NO possible WAY! you can cover the five reciever set without any linebackers to watch slants...and so fort. For example, the 3 and 12 in which we pushed the patriots back, what play did they pick? a reciever screen? they knew we'd only have two corners out there, so they pulled one guard and had the recievers around him block, this play gaining 20 yards....Sadly :/ the only reason this play worked is because we had our line backer/'s blitz all game and being the "great coach mr bill-in-check is...read this.

i think childress should have let our line backers stay in coverage, and or blitzed line backers and pulled d-line men for coverage. he should have let the d-line men wear the o-line men of the patriots out.

MY ONION PINION.

thank you.

[size=13pt]Vikings: Tomlin not fretting or sweating[/size]

The Vikings defensive coordinator isn't worried that New England exposed some holes in his scheme. He's already patched them and moved on.

Judd [email protected]
    Last update: November 04, 2006 – 12:28 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast