Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings defense no longer reliable

In a season full of controversy and disappointment, the Minnesota Vikings defense wasn’t supposed to be a problem.

Add another one to the list.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings defense no longer reliable

singersp wrote:

In a season full of controversy and disappointment, the Minnesota Vikings defense wasn’t supposed to be a problem.

The Vikings lost further depth in the preseason when 2009 nickel cornerback Bennie Sapp was traded to Miami for punt returner/reserve wide receiver Greg Camarillo. Minnesota was so depleted in Sunday’s 28-18 loss at New England that Frazier was forced to deploy his base defense in the fourth quarter even against nickel offensive sets.
    The loss of Harvin and Rice at the beginning of the season started the wave of panic and what seem now like desperation to add pieces.

Frazier, too, may be culpable for not tweaking his Tampa Two-flavored defense. Frazier admits “it’s possible” that Minnesota’s relatively straight 4-3 system has become too predictable. Frazier has long believed that what is a relatively simple scheme at its core can be effective provided it’s executed properly.

“If you can play fast at our level, you can be successful,” said Frazier, whose 2008 and 2009 Vikings defenses each finished No. 6 in the NFL yardage rankings. “But if you’re cluttered with, ‘What’s my responsibility here or there?’ and it slows you down, it’s hard to play.”
    Secondary not knowing what they are doing is probably holding this D back a bit, even then, not as good as last year.

Who is in charge of the D, Frasier or Chilly? Doesn't look good on Frasier if he is in control.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I said it before, after about week 4 when everyone was gushing over how great our D was, it's not as it appears.

When playing with a lead, teams aren't as creative, they don't take high-risk passes, so they do the low-risk plays, runs, short passes, and we force more punts. When our offense plays better, the other offense needs to match, then we give up massive passing games like we have.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Not surprising which is why I don't buy into the "We can win our next 5!" crowd. Last years team could but not this years.

You cannot rely on AD carrying you and dink and dunk with the passing game down the field offensively by trying to control the clock with our defense performing the way it has been.

The defense flat out has to improve if we are to win another game.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

snowinapril wrote:
    singersp wrote:

The Vikings lost further depth in the preseason when 2009 nickel cornerback Bennie Sapp was traded to Miami for punt returner/reserve wide receiver Greg Camarillo. Minnesota was so depleted in Sunday’s 28-18 loss at New England that Frazier was forced to deploy his base defense in the fourth quarter even against nickel offensive sets.
    The loss of Harvin and Rice at the beginning of the season started the wave of panic and what seem now like desperation to add pieces.

Frazier, too, may be culpable for not tweaking his Tampa Two-flavored defense. Frazier admits “it’s possible” that Minnesota’s relatively straight 4-3 system has become too predictable. Frazier has long believed that what is a relatively simple scheme at its core can be effective provided it’s executed properly.

“If you can play fast at our level, you can be successful,” said Frazier, whose 2008 and 2009 Vikings defenses each finished No. 6 in the NFL yardage rankings. “But if you’re cluttered with, ‘What’s my responsibility here or there?’ and it slows you down, it’s hard to play.”
    Secondary not knowing what they are doing is probably holding this D back a bit, even then, not as good as last year.

Who is in charge of the D, Frasier or Chilly? Doesn't look good on Frasier if he is in control.
    Frazier is the defensive coordinator, but Childress has proven to be a bit of a control freak. So who knows what kind of risks Frazier is allowed to take with the defense.

Most simply I think our problem can be attributed to lack of pressure. We need to win the one on one match ups we're getting outside.

Kevin Williams is doubled almost every play, but still has a sack. Allen and Edwards have 1.0 and 1.5 respectively - they need to step their games up.

Either every offensive tackle in the NFL improved drastically this off season, or these guys are just sucking. I'm going to assume the latter.

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Must be six weeks ago that I said the D Line seemed determined to rest in the glory of their press clippings rather than actually produce.

Yeah.....this is old news.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I think the defense has played pretty well. 12th in points per game allowed, but the offense has put them in bad situations often, giving apposing teams good field position, and little rest for the defense.
    Also the competition has been tough. Even great defenses will struggle against QB's like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady.
    Defense should look much better against Arizona.

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Infidel wrote:
    Must be six weeks ago that I said the D Line seemed determined to rest in the glory of their press clippings rather than actually produce.

Yeah.....this is old news.
    You sir, are one critical Vikings fan.

jmcdon00 wrote:
    I think the defense has played pretty well. 12th in points per game allowed, but the offense has put them in bad situations often, giving apposing teams good field position, and little rest for the defense.
    Also the competition has been tough. Even great defenses will struggle against QB's like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady.
    Defense should look much better against Arizona.
    +1

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Everything should look better against the Cards.

Will it?

Odds are against it, considering that the coach has completely demoralized the team.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Allen said "he's starting the foundation for the return of the mullet."

If that is indeed true, the tide should be turning in our favor soon. :woohoo:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast