Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings Defense better without Tomlin?

From PFT.com:

POSTED 9:53 a.m. EDT, September 13, 2007

VIKINGS DEFENSE BETTER WITHOUT TOMLIN?

Last year, former Bucs defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin finally got a chance to become a defensive coordinator (due in large part to the stubborn refusal of the Buccaneers to allow position coaches to take promotions elsewhere short of head coach).
    Hired by Minnesota, Tomlin installed the Tampa Two defense, and the Vikes became the best team against the run in the NFL.

Unfortunately, they remained one of the worst against the pass.

Still, the jolt that Tomlin brought to the unit helped him attract the attention of the Pittsburgh Steelers, where Tomlin is now the head coach.
    So the Vikings found another Tampa Two assistant coach to take Tomlin's place -- Leslie Frazier of the Colts.

And there's already a feeling that the Vikes might be even better on defense under Frazier.

Safety Darren Sharper, who played college football with Tomlin, is one of the most vocal members of the defense regarding the new guy.

"You know what, he's a heck of a coach.
    I'm having a blast playing for him and he's gotten us the right way," Sharper said, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
    "He got us to play lights-out football, and we want to play dominating football.
    He has us playing that way right now, but that was the first game of many, so we have to continue."

And thought Sharper suggests that Frazier hasn't made dramatic change, his numbers sound a little more significant than that.

"[W]e have a little bit of wrinkles that we throw in there just to do a little bit different things," Shaper said.
    "But more than that, I'd say it's probably about 60 percent similar. We've got a little extra 40 percent that we do a little different."

One of the biggest differences is that the Vikings are blitzing more, which is typically a no-no in the pure Cover 2 defense.
    The fact that tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams can tie up the inside of the line (and generally push it into the backfield), creates openings for guys like middle linebacker E.J. Henderson, who registered two sacks in Week One.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Vikings Defense better without Tomlin?

Since our pass defense was laughable last year, and given how well the defense has looked in preseason and our first regular season, I'm not missing Tomlin.
    When he first left, I thought he would be impossible to replace, but it sounds like the defense has already taken a liking to Frazier, so all is guess all is well!

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

I was glad to see a much more aggressive style of defense, especially against the pass. Except for the deep comebacks that were there all day for the Falcons, our coverage usually outlasted the protection for Harrington. Let's see what they can do against Martz's style of passing offense. Hope he forgets to leave some protection for the QB like he did routinely for Rams' QBs
    ;D

Thanks Josdin

AngloVike is online now Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It could be read by the title that Tomlin was someone who passed through and did nothing for the team.
    I'll say that the defence may well be better this season -though after one game I'm not shouting that from the rooftops yet - but Tomlin helped to set the basics in place. I've no doubt that Frazier will add his own tweaks and wrinkles to it and will improve it.
    I just hope we don't see Frazier getting picked up for a HC job if the Vikes have a good season on the D side of the ball like last year.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"AngloVike" wrote:
    It could be read by the title that Tomlin was someone who passed through and did nothing for the team.
    I'll say that the defence may well be better this season -though after one game I'm not shouting that from the rooftops yet - but Tomlin helped to set the basics in place. I've no doubt that Frazier will add his own tweaks and wrinkles to it and will improve it.
    I just hope we don't see Frazier getting picked up for a HC job if the Vikes have a good season on the D side of the ball like last year.
    Yeah i really agree on 2 notes.
    Tomlin worked good with the D and installing the Cover 2, isn't something easy...
    Plus frazier can expand the cover 2 with his own thoughts of how he should adapt it, i think we'll be spot on with frazier
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

I think If the vikes have a really good year on the defensive side of the ball we should lock up frazier.Give him more money so that he doesnt go coach somewhere else.Look at greg williams in washington.He could have been the head coach here but he waned to stay the defensive cordinator longer.Same with al saunders.

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

I also have two things to say:
    1. It's a lot tougher to install the system than to tweak it.
    2. It's only one real game, (although I gotta admit we looked aweSOME!) and the jury should still be out until we continue to dominate even against good offenses.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I think overall they could be better.

I really doubt our run defense will be quite as good (although I think we'll still be top 5 or 10) but I think that the amount of Blitzing that Frazier will do will help this team greatly. I thought we sat back on our heals WAY too much last year.

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

"Ltrey" wrote:
    I think overall they could be better.

I really doubt our run defense will be quite as good (although I think we'll still be top 5 or 10) but I think that the amount of Blitzing that Frazier will do will help this team greatly. I thought we sat back on our heals WAY too much last year.
    I think the additional speed we have this year (Henderson in the middle, Greenway at WS) allows the blitzing, but, the reason most teams don't like to blitz in the C2 is because it allows big plays especially in the middle of the field. I think we will see some of those but hopefully not too many.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Frazier had an excellent week one.
    He platooned defensive linemen in and out thruout the game and had linemen lining up all over the place. I saw Phat Pat at left end once and Robison on both ends. Scott was at end and tackle. And every defensive lineman played.Three of their 6 sacks came in the fourth quarter when the offensive line was tired.
    Frazier also used the nickel shuffling in McCauley for Leber on passing downs.And he didn't just wait until 3rd down. If Atlanta had little or no gain on first down, he went to nickel on 2nd and third down.
    Kevin Williams and Ej Henderson had a monster game.
    Kudos to Frazier.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast