Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings Defense in 2007

Basically just looking over the team roster while i was browsing these forums, made me think of what our defense could be this coming year.

The only loss on defense from last year that actually might impact us is the departure of first year coordinator stud Mike Tomlin - who is now a headcoach after only one terrific performance here in Minnesota

This coming year i believe our defense can make a repeat in the running for #1 rushing defense,
    two players (Erasmus James and Chad Greenway) that were both favoritse for starters were lost, really, before the season even started.

The only question that still remained, was how is our pass defense going to be?
    No one questioned Winfield & Sharper, but there were flags in our depth at CB, with the unreliable Smoot, followed by rookies and unexperienced players in Whitaker, Griffin, and Gordan.
    If that wasn't enough of a problem for our troubles at DB, probably starter Tank Williams went down early to be replaced with the stairway slut Dwight Smight and the hopeful young CB Devonte Edwards was put out comission early when he took a hit from one of our own players trying to help him make a tackle

With the return of Tank Williams this year to fight for a starting position, and Griffin and Blue having some play time under their belts, the question remains, what else is needed to fill in the gaps on our other wise terrific D?

Perhaps the return of Erasmus James and the eager young Chad Greenway will be enough to bring some life into the front 7 to put some pressure on the opposing QB to relieve some of the stress on our DB's

Good news is we know its being looked at, there is ongoing talk about possibly bringing in a DE, or hopefully a nickle CB (currently im hoping they bring in nick harper)

Aside from that, anyone else see any reason for me not to be optimistic about the type of play coming from this side of the ball?

As far as im concerned (other then possibly CB), we have nothing to worry about this offseason about our D

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Defense in 2007

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    With the return of Tank Williams this year to fight for a starting position, and Griffin and Blue having some play time under their belts, the question remains, what else is needed to fill in the gaps on our other wise terrific D?
    A MLB who is fast enough to hang with TEs going down the middle of the Cover2.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

One of my failings in life is I am always optomistic.
    ;D

Agree, the D is in good shape overall.
    I think the secondary is pretty good to the point that they can hold thier own if

WE COULD JUST RUSH/GET SOME PRESSURE ON THE QB
    ;D

As far as Erasmus, I think there is a bit of a concern over his injury to the point that I don't think he will be 100 percent when camp starts.

Hopefully we will fix that during the draft by getting some depth via a pass rushing DE.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

=Z=
    I think this was one of the real problems we had last year, the cover 2 requires the MLB to defend a lot of space middle of the field and Nap just wasn't up to the task. After E.J's less than stellar stint at MLB I am hesitant to believe he is the answer here. The other need is obvious..pressure on the QB. It takes care of a lot of db problems. I really like who we have in the secondary, but still wouldn't mind seeing Harper here.

1. A top quality DE is needed as insurance against James and Udeze failing to provide a pass rush.

2. Greenway might be the best option for MLB, perhaps on all downs, or on obvious passing downs, because he has better speed and coverage skill than EJH.

3. A backup to spell Pat Williams as NT, and perhaps replace him in a few years.
    Perhaps Ian Scott of Da Bearrrsss should be signed for that role?

4. A few developmental DBs to possibly, eventually replace Sharper and Winfield, as insurance against Blue, D.Smith, Gordon, Griffin, Edwards, etc. all failing to develop into those roles.

Otherwise, the Vikes D is young and in great shape, talent-wise.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

=Z=

His name is Patrick Willis.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

freaky is offline Starter

i'd love to see us go after an experienced pass rusher. without pressure from off the end any quarterback can burn you. inside we are obviously great & our linebacker corp will be much improved this season. greenway can be the real hustler we lack. at corner we are fine with antoine dominating & a good group of athletic guys battling for the other side. while our safeties are old we've got some real playmakers who will benefit from staying deep if we can sort out our ends & linebacker mobility. i think we're really close to something great on defense. pity about the other side lol

Hawkeye23 is offline Starter

first thing dont hate Dwight he's better than tank and until Blue gets a bit better he should be starting.
    I think the vikings should have just cut williams.
    Our cbs rigth now suck but can be very good if we pick up Leon Hall in the draft.
    That way we can have Winfield Hall starting and now teams use more WR so Griffin as 3rd string and Whitaker as 4th will give us time to develop the younger cb's before Winfield retires.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

There are 2 major concerns on defense.
    Although the defense is much improved than previous years they weren't stellar.
    Once the "hole" was exposed offenses took advantage of that.
    The 2 concerns are:
    Getting a DE that can harrass the QB and getting a MLB that can cover well.
    We may have both in EJames and CGreenway however it is only speculation at this point.

Other than that, if the defense remains healthy it should be a good group.

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

yah by far pass rush is the biggest need.
    i think our coverage will be fine if we can get to the qb.
    it's a zone defense so if qb's get time they are gonna find a whole in the defense.
    and we had to compensate alot by blitzing, which still didn't get to the qb enough, and left us vulnerable in coverage.
    we just gotta hope that e.james is the real deal.
    otherwise they might address in the draft.
    any worthwhile DE in free agency were either franchised or snatched up quick.
    if simeon rice gets cut by the bucs, which i heard, i'd take him in a heartbeat.
    even if he is getting a bit old, he still would be a great situational DE.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast