singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings DBs will shine if Griffin pulls his weight

Vikings trio will shine if Griffin pulls his weight

The cornerbacks are most formidable as a unit, which won't be proven until Chris Cook and Cedric Griffin show how much they can handle.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/128539173.html

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings DBs will shine if Griffin pulls his weight

Alot of people really missed how well the DB's played last year, especially considering that we had alot of backups in there at CB.

Ranked 8th in passing yards allowed.
    Ranked 8th in passing yards a game.
    Ranked 20th in receptions a game. (By nature a Cover 2 will give up more passes)
    Ranked 11th in first down receptions.

Mix in the small fact that our DL didn't start getting pressure on the QB's until well into the season, and I think its safe to say that our DB's will be fine this year even if just Griff gets back on the field.

Look, I know most people want to see DBs jumping routes and knocking the ball down or getting the pick, but by design the scheme just isn't conduscive for that to happen.

Unless the front four can cause the QB to make bad throws resulting in tips at the line or thrown to spots the WR's aren't at, your just gonna have to hope the DB's do their job and tackle the guy after the catch with minimal YAC.

Again, its the nature of the scheme.

Defensive stats recieving
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106368
    Alot of people really missed how well the DB's played last year, especially considering that we had alot of backups in there at CB.

Ranked 20th in receptions a game. (By nature a Cover 2 will give up more passes)

Mix in the small fact that our DL didn't start getting pressure on the QB's until well into the season, and I think its safe to say that our DB's will be fine this year even if just Griff gets back on the field.

Look, I know most people want to see DBs jumping routes and knocking the ball down or getting the pick, but by design the scheme just isn't conduscive for that to happen.

Unless the front four can cause the QB to make bad throws resulting in tips at the line or thrown to spots the WR's aren't at, your just gonna have to hope the DB's do their job and tackle the guy after the catch with minimal YAC.

Our DB's did not play well last year. Many of those numbers are skewed because of teams being up on us and running the ball a lot. The DB's were atrocious minus Winfield.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "gamecocksbaseball31" #1106401
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106368

Our DB's did not play well last year. Many of those numbers are skewed because of teams being up on us and running the ball a lot. The DB's were atrocious minus Winfield.
    I were not elite but they weren't terrible either. However, perhaps they wouldn't have gotten eaten alive last season if the offense controlled the ball instead of constant 3 and outs. My issue with our DBs is their lack of pass break ups/ints. I am not a sack/int chased as I believe hurries and pass breakups to be more important.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Our team needs Griffin so badly. In the division we play, we need all the pass coverage we can get. Lions and Packers are going to murder us with the talent they have.

Griffin should be our best corner, but has to be healthy.
    We're bringing purple back.