singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' DB Edwards ready to showcase his skill

[size=18px]Vikings' DB Edwards ready to showcase his skill[/size]

By Eric Krupka on June 16, 2006 12:20 AM

If you utter the name Devonte Edwards, there are only three groups of people who are likely to know who he is. North Carolina State fans, Minnesota Vikings fans, and Green Bay Packers fans. The most important person to know Edwards, by far, is Packers quarterback Brett Favre.

In Edwards' rookie campaign he fought all season long for playing time. He displayed a great attitude toward the game and the team, kept working hard, and had that one special moment.

On Monday Night Football against the Green Bay Packers , he saw his first extensive action. Before the game, he reportedly said with confidence that he was going to intercept a Favre pass and make a name for himself on the national stage. He one-upped himself, intercepting an errant Favre pass, and taking it to the house for a 51-yard touchdown.

Not a bad way to start your career.

At times last season, Edwards played very well. What makes it even more remarkable is that he hasn't been a defensive back for long. He signed on and played wide receiver his freshman and sophomore years with the Wolf Pack. He was also an accomplished basketball player in high school, recruited by a bevy of mid-major college programs. At one point, he was added to the NC State basketball team as a reserve guard.

So far this offseason, the second-year corner has a stranglehold on the competition for the nickel back job. At 6-0, 182 pounds, he has good size. As a former receiver, he has good hands, fine speed and long arms. He plays gritty on defense, is physical, and will try to jump routes to make spectaculars play.

The plan would be for Edwards to play in nickel and when he's on the field, move No. 1 cornerback Antoine Winfield into the slot.

With Edwards' work-ethic and excellent attitude, he is quickly becoming a favorite of head coach Brad Childress and defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

A successful 2006 campaign will, no doubt, do wonders for the Minnesota Vikings . On paper, they already have a solid secondary. A good year from Williams could give the team one of the best pass defenses in the NFL.

-Eric Krupka can be reached at [email protected]

Vikings' DB Edwards ready to showcase his skill

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings' DB Edwards ready to showcase his skill

Our secondary is stacked with potential.I love Davonte, he played very well for his first season last year.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

I think Devonte's play made it an easy decision to let B Will go.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"stjmnsota" wrote:
    I think Devonte's play made it an easy decision to let B Will go.
    I disagree. I don't think they made that decision based on one game & one interception.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I think Brian Williams's demands with regards to a new deal in relation to what position he would be playing made it an easy decision to let him go. Who would pay $10 million guaranteed to a nickel corner?

Exactly.

I like Devonte, and if he can become a solid nickelback that's one less position we have to worry about!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    I think Brian Williams's demands with regards to a new deal in relation to what position he would be playing made it an easy decision to let him go. Who would pay $10 million guaranteed to a nickel corner?
    Based on last year's season, they are already paying big $$$ to a nickel corner.

And his name is Fred Smoot.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

go Dovonte! pick off Favre again!
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

It will be exciting to see some young blood get in there. It always is. I think he'll step up and fill in nicely. Although I don't expect much of an improvement over B. Williams any time soon.

It sounds like Devonte has that fire inside himself to go out and prove to the world he's got the stuff. That burning desire can often times get more accomplished on the field than a more talented veteran IMO.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i think he's got potential to be an extremely good answer to our nickle position, do i think he's an immediate replacement to brian williams had he stayed? hell no. but i think he could be

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

i hope he has a good season this year because i like his potential, and maybe he will get 2 picks on farve this year