Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

Vikings D analysis of talent/experience.

Some of the numbers can be quite interesting looking at the potential Vikings D for 2005-2006 season on paper. Obviously I realize they play the games on grass not paper, but it is interesting to think about none the less.

First off the D could and probably will have 6 new starters next year. While that can also be scary from a chemistry/continuity standpoint. I dont think the chemistry/continuity could get much worse on the Defensive side of the ball than it has been the last several years.

The new starting Defense would sport all first or second round draft picks (with the exception of FA pickup Pat Williams from Buffalo, and we all know what he can do) sporting 5 first round picks and 5 second round picks. Also with the exception of 8 year veteran PW our D-line would all have been first round draft picks (no lower than 20th overall) in the last three years. That would be a formidable pedigree. Contrast that to last years starting defensive lineup which had 4 first rounders, 3 second rounders, 1 third round, 1 fourth round, and 2 undrafted players.

Overall our Defense will have 4.2 years of experience on average when this season rolls around. Obviously we all know that we have upgraded in several key positions, but it is interesting when you actually sit down and make the comparison one for one. There are some interesting numbers when you look at age and pedigree of this years tenative starters vs. last years.

I am excited about the season, and while I am not predicting any Super Bowls just yet as we never know how the team will come together and gel, it should be fun to watch. I am only asking for a Defense that gives us a fighting chance to win a game where we dont have the ball last in the game. For the last several years that was our only hope was to score with so little time left that nobody would be able to mount a drive against our feeble D.

Bring on the season!!!!!

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings D analysis of talent/experience.

im not gonna predict a superbowl..but thats only becuz my dreams never come true lol..but i will say that we are by far the most improved team in the league, and thats an added bonus considering we were pretty damn good before the offseason anyways..people might say that weve taken a step backwards offensively, but when u have a defense that can hold the opposition to 14 or less, it takes that much more pressure off daunte to produce points..i gotta say a field goal kicker is what im begging for, becuz im guessing we will have a fair number of games this coming season that will come down to kicking
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

6-KINGS Guest

This Vikings D is going to be special!
    And I think they will hold their own against anyone.
    Then in 2-3 years provided they are kept together and healthy, it could be a great unit.

I am so pumped about this year and the next few to come.

I can't wait to see this defense jell.

bleedn_purple is offline Training Camp

I really think this defense is going to be a force to contend with in and out of the division. I truly think we will dominate unlike any other year before. I do however feel that our achilles heel will be right up the middle, unless the D-line maybe plays a 2 gap or plays real "big". If a team like Chicago (Cedric Bennson) runs us right up the middle I think they will get to us due to the choice to go with speed instead of size. I truly have no problem at all with that because there are few that I believe will be able to run on us.
    "When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something"

Dick Butkus

"They say Football s a matter of life and death - but it s more important than that"

PurpleElf Guest

"bleedn_purple" wrote:
    I really think this defense is going to be a force to contend with in and out of the division. I truly think we will dominate unlike any other year before. I do however feel that our achilles heel will be right up the middle, unless the D-line maybe plays a 2 gap or plays real "big". If a team like Chicago (Cedric Bennson) runs us right up the middle I think they will get to us due to the choice to go with speed instead of size. I truly have no problem at all with that because there are few that I believe will be able to run on us.
    In the middle is where K.Will, P.Will and Cowart reside. It's does'nt look at all weak to me. But you never know I guess...

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

I imagine at the start of the season,the D will have a few problems here and there.But I also expect as the season wears on for them to gell and start to perform as we are all expecting.
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

I feel slightly better knowing that the defense is what needs to gel...I would be more concerned if the offense had 6 brand new starters. They're a relatively cohesive unit.

In any event, I feel more confident going into this season than in any of the past five. And that's a good thing.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

gr8vike is offline Asst. Coach

I hope the defense will gel early. I think we have a lot of big name players now. But games arent won on paper. I think it will be a pretty good season Im predicting 12-4 record, and a trip to the NFC Championship.

Thanks PPE for the Sig

Fighting on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you are still mentally challenged!

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

thats why we got Pat Will to stop the run
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!