Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings cut QB Bomar, WR Holmes, eight others

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1106743
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106716
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1106601
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106593
    Quote Originally Posted by "MulletMullitia" #1106392
    He worried me a little bit in the Cowboys game. I've always supported Longwell, but he missed short from 53 and the 44 yarder he made looked like it BARELY made it over the bar. It looks like our notoriously short kicker is getting even shorter. Not very excited that we signed him to a long contract.
    As our good friend Mars pointed out, one was missed/blocked because a guy used poor technique on the line. The other was just a bad hit.

I'm hoping, just as much as Ole Mars is, that the bad hit doesn't happen anymore.

If it does, I'm sure there is an out in the contract that will make him releasable, problem is, who is still out there that could come in and replace him at this point.
    from walter football

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011KP.php

Ryan Longwell, K, Vikings. Age: 37.
    Re-signed with Vikings (4 years, $12 million)

Ryan Longwell's field goal percentages the past five years: 84.0, 83.3, 85.3, 92.9 and 94.4. Age is a concern, but Longwell is still one of the NFL's elite kickers.
    Good stuff my friend. Again, I love what he has done in the past and have been pretty clear that his FG's were not my issue.

But those numbers are in the past. Were they a factor in him being retained by the Vikes? Sure, but what he does on the field this year will be what drives the train, not his history.

So far, I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Just to recap, in case it gets confused.....

a. He hasn't kicked one deep yet. I am not sure if he can, however, what I am sure of is the staff is asking him to kick it higher, with more hang time, in an effort to tackle the guy before he gets to the 20 instead of just kicking it deep and giving them the ball on the 20......so we don't really know if he can kick it out of the endzone.

b. He has missed at least one FG due to a poor kick. The other can be attributed to bad line play.

In the end, there is no real need to panick here, unless of course he starts missing them on a regular basis.
    Also a moot point is whether or not he has the abiilty to kick it deep. We no longer need him to kick it deep.
    Agree, but it would be nice to see him kick it atleast deep enough so that teams don't bring it out all the time.

I understand what they are trying to do with the shallow/high hang time approach, but all we need to do is have one breakdown in coverage or have one not hang as long as he intended and it would completely change a game.

For a team that will have to work to get to 10-6/11-5, that could be a season killer.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Longwell isn't bad but like many org. (Vikings)that have no vision they look for a kicker once they don't have one. I watched the draft and was mad that we never drafted Alex henery. I am a huge Nebraska fan and he can kick sixty yarders!! He has ice in his veins and he can also punt if need be. He will be the best kicker in the game in two years bar none! We should have drafted him and you wouldn't be worrying about kickoffs. As usual another team (Eagles) was smart and got a great young kicker and next year we will have Jack!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1106765
    Longwell isn't bad but like many org. (Vikings)that have no vision they look for a kicker once they don't have one. I watched the draft and was mad that we never drafted Alex henery. I am a huge Nebraska fan and he can kick sixty yarders!! He has ice in his veins and he can also punt if need be. He will be the best kicker in the game in two years bar none! We should have drafted him and you wouldn't be worrying about kickoffs. As usual another team (Eagles) was smart and got a great young kicker and next year we will have Jack!!
    Damn, its a sighting of our good friend Tark......

JK, good to see you and a great post.

For the life of me I can't figure out why teams won't "Grow" a kicker. Seems like old retreads are just "Retreaded" all the time. What bothers me the most is after I made a few posts on this topic yesterday, I went and looked at what K'rs of Shortwells caliber (and better) went for.

We sure could have had a nice upgrade of a few of those "Retreads" for what we are paying him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

With roughly 80 players still remaining on the Minnesota Vikings roster, and under a week left to reach 53, the Vikings will be looking hard at whom they need to cut, as well as who deserves to go—two opposing situations that will be answered this week.

Here are the five player I think deserve to be let go for various reasons.
    NFL Roster Cuts 2011: 5 Minnesota Vikings Who Deserve to Be Let Go (Bleacher Report)

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106769
    Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1106765
    Damn, its a sighting of our good friend Tark......

JK, good to see you and a great post.

For the life of me I can't figure out why [strike]teams[/strike] the Vikings won't "Grow" a [strike]kicker[/strike]QB. Seems like old retreads are just "Retreaded" all the time. What bothers me the most is after I made a few posts on this topic yesterday, I went and looked at [strike]what K'rs[/strike] QB's of [strike]Shortwells [/strike] ( Insert latest washed up retread QB) caliber (and better) went for.

We sure could have had a nice upgrade of a few of those "Retreads" for what we are paying him.

Boy you said a mouthful there Marr my friend.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106783
    With roughly 80 players still remaining on the Minnesota Vikings roster, and under a week left to reach 53, the Vikings will be looking hard at whom they need to cut, as well as who deserves to go—two opposing situations that will be answered this week.

NFL Roster Cuts 2011: 5 Minnesota Vikings Who Deserve to Be Let Go (Bleacher Report)
    Thanks for the read. Maybe I've been watching different games but Ryan D'Imperio? What has he done or not done to be cut? IMO this guy will be great as a FB. He's much better than Tahi (not saying much) but he definitely can catch and run. His blocking has had it's ups and downs but to say he needs to be cut is ridiculous to me. Then he talks about Charlie Johnson. I admit he hasn't had the best camp. I can tell you he did much better in the 3rd game. However, who is his replacement? I think this guy needs to seriously rethink his agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1106843
    Boy you said a mouthful there Marr my friend.
    You still crack me up no matter what screen name you use. :woohoo:

Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1106926
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106783

Thanks for the read. Maybe I've been watching different games but Ryan D'Imperio? What has he done or not done to be cut? IMO this guy will be great as a FB. He's much better than Tahi (not saying much) but he definitely can catch and run. His blocking has had it's ups and downs but to say he needs to be cut is ridiculous to me. Then he talks about Charlie Johnson. I admit he hasn't had the best camp. I can tell you he did much better in the 3rd game. However, who is his replacement? I think this guy needs to seriously rethink his agenda.
    He is kindof clueless on a couple of his recommendations.

On a side note, I'm not all that impressed with D'imperio. Truth of the matter is, I think you take a weapon off the field when you put him out there.

I like it alot more when they put Dugan or even Sauce back there and either throw to them coming out or motion them out of the backfield.

Again, one change in the scheme is that this O-coord admits there isn't much of a role for a FB in this scheme and says he can live without one. After watching the stuff I mentioned above, I can't see why everyone hasn't caught on to that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123