Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings cut QB Bomar, WR Holmes, eight others

Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1106415
    Quote Originally Posted by "STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES" #1106394
    I mentioned longwell is on his last leg in another thread, and mars jumped on me for it. The 53 yarder was a good 8 yards short sat. night. It took 2 bounces and a good roll to get it to touch the goal post.

As for kickoffs, sans 1 late in the game, dallas was getting a running start.

The game replays tonight at 7 central, if anyone wants to watch it.
    Is the game still at 7 tonight? I thought it was changed due to the Jet/Giant game moving to tonight. I think it replays on Tuesday sometime but I'm not positive.
    Their website shows them moving the vikings re-broadcast to 10pm eastern.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1106417
    Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1106415
    I mentioned longwell is on his last leg in another thread, and mars jumped on me for it. The 53 yarder was a good 8 yards short sat. night. It took 2 bounces and a good roll to get it to touch the goal post.

Is the game still at 7 tonight? I thought it was changed due to the Jet/Giant game moving to tonight. I think it replays on Tuesday sometime but I'm not positive.
    Thanks tasty.

Their website shows them moving the vikings re-broadcast to 10pm eastern.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I have never heard of any of those players that got cut.
    We're bringing purple back.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "NDVikingFan66" #1106387
    Marrdo

Not sure your hatred for Longwell (other than the short kickoffs) but he is consistently one of the best kickers year in and year out.

Feild Goals
    1 Ryan Longwell, PK MIN 17 18 94.4 (Missed 1 at 30-39 yards)
    2 Ryan Longwell, PK MIN 26 28 92.9 (Missed 1 at 30-39 and 1 at 40-49)
    17 Ryan Longwell, PK MIN 29 34 85.3 (Missed 2 at 30-39 and 3 at 40-49)
    19 Ryan Longwell, PK MIN 20 24 83.3 (Missed 1 at 40-49 and 3 at 50+)
    14 Ryan Longwell, PK MIN 21 25 84.0 (Missed 2 at 40-49 and 2 at 50+)

I can accept a knock that he could be more accurate at the longer ranges, but knocking on him because he is a former packer is a bit harsh. The last 2 years he has been solid for us. I would argue that our offense could be a bit more efficient and pick up additional yardage for our kicker, making his job easier.

Now, if you have a better selection that the team can actually pick up, I would certainly love to hear who that would be, and we could evaluate from there.

PS. I did not take the time to check stats of how Longwell stacks up to other kickers at the long distances, but I may do that for the fun of it.
    First, I don't hate football players. Thats a emotion I use only for certain individuals in certain circumstances.

Second, One of my failings in life that I repeatedly have apologized for on here......I do not like anything PUKER. It is just something I can't get over.

Third, my biggest hack on Shortwell was his short kickoffs. By the way, I didn't make up his knickname, it was given to him by members of the PUKER media.

Fourth, I tolerate him on this team cause he can kick FG's. When he can't do that, like any other player on this team who fails to produce, I will start saying its time to go, regardless of his background or history.

Trust me, when/if AD ever starts to play like an old has been I will ask for him to leave as well. On that I have been pretty consistent.

Fifth, his history has nothing to do with this year. This year will determine what happens this year, not how many long FG's he has kicked in the past.

So far he has been short on Kickoffs and is now missing FG's (atleast last game).

Sixth, ....There were several I would have tried to bring in, but alas, our CAP issues and time have made all of them out of reach I fear.

In no specific order.....
    Prater. Longer on kickoffs and just as accurate inside the 40 as Shortwell.
    Vinatieri. More clutch than Shortwell ever was. Has had some dropoff on KOffs though but again, the rule helps just like it should with our current kicker.
    David Akers. No issues. Kicks outside and has lots of distance. Just as reliable as Shortwell especially outside of 50.
    Matt Bryant. I think he was something like 8 of 11 outside the 50 last year.

In the long run, I guess we are stuck with him and just to stress it one more time, as long as he makes FG's I won't beeyyyyatch (to much), but when he starts missing them, standby for heavy rolls as the ship comes about.(Old Navy warning when a ship turns in heavy seas)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I don't think our good friend Mars intended to jump you.

Most of the stuff about Shortwell on this site comes from my constant dislike of anything PUKER and is usually posted to poke me in the eye.....

In short, Ole Mars is a good poster who knows alot about the game. I'm sure his reply was more directed at my pea brain than at you my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1106411
    It's the green and gold blood in his veins that forever puts him in Marrdro's doghouse.
    Our good friend Tasty understands the main issue, but I am also sure that he will also say that I usually only hack on players if they actually have it coming.

In almost every post to date, I have repeatedly said how good Mr. Shortwell was at FG's and my only issue with him was related to his Kickoff prowes.

Problem, atleast for now, is that he missed 2 out of 3 FG's. Kickers, damn good ones for that matter, have been shitcanned for alot less my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by "MulletMullitia" #1106392
    He worried me a little bit in the Cowboys game. I've always supported Longwell, but he missed short from 53 and the 44 yarder he made looked like it BARELY made it over the bar. It looks like our notoriously short kicker is getting even shorter. Not very excited that we signed him to a long contract.
    As our good friend Mars pointed out, one was missed/blocked because a guy used poor technique on the line. The other was just a bad hit.

I'm hoping, just as much as Ole Mars is, that the bad hit doesn't happen anymore.

If it does, I'm sure there is an out in the contract that will make him releasable, problem is, who is still out there that could come in and replace him at this point.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106593
    He worried me a little bit in the Cowboys game. I've always supported Longwell, but he missed short from 53 and the 44 yarder he made looked like it BARELY made it over the bar. It looks like our notoriously short kicker is getting even shorter. Not very excited that we signed him to a long contract.
    As our good friend Mars pointed out, one was missed/blocked because a guy used poor technique on the line. The other was just a bad hit.

I'm hoping, just as much as Ole Mars is, that the bad hit doesn't happen anymore.

If it does, I'm sure there is an out in the contract that will make him releasable, problem is, who is still out there that could come in and replace him at this point.
    from walter football

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011KP.php

Ryan Longwell, K, Vikings. Age: 37.
    Re-signed with Vikings (4 years, $12 million)

Ryan Longwell's field goal percentages the past five years: 84.0, 83.3, 85.3, 92.9 and 94.4. Age is a concern, but Longwell is still one of the NFL's elite kickers.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1106601

from walter football

Ryan Longwell's field goal percentages the past five years: 84.0, 83.3, 85.3, 92.9 and 94.4. Age is a concern, but Longwell is still one of the NFL's elite kickers.
    Good stuff my friend. Again, I love what he has done in the past and have been pretty clear that his FG's were not my issue.

But those numbers are in the past. Were they a factor in him being retained by the Vikes? Sure, but what he does on the field this year will be what drives the train, not his history.

So far, I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Just to recap, in case it gets confused.....

a. He hasn't kicked one deep yet. I am not sure if he can, however, what I am sure of is the staff is asking him to kick it higher, with more hang time, in an effort to tackle the guy before he gets to the 20 instead of just kicking it deep and giving them the ball on the 20......so we don't really know if he can kick it out of the endzone.

b. He has missed at least one FG due to a poor kick. The other can be attributed to bad line play.

In the end, there is no real need to panick here, unless of course he starts missing them on a regular basis.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106716
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1106601

from walter football

Good stuff my friend. Again, I love what he has done in the past and have been pretty clear that his FG's were not my issue.

But those numbers are in the past. Were they a factor in him being retained by the Vikes? Sure, but what he does on the field this year will be what drives the train, not his history.

So far, I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Just to recap, in case it gets confused.....

a. He hasn't kicked one deep yet. I am not sure if he can, however, what I am sure of is the staff is asking him to kick it higher, with more hang time, in an effort to tackle the guy before he gets to the 20 instead of just kicking it deep and giving them the ball on the 20......so we don't really know if he can kick it out of the endzone.

b. He has missed at least one FG due to a poor kick. The other can be attributed to bad line play.

In the end, there is no real need to panick here, unless of course he starts missing them on a regular basis.
    Also a moot point is whether or not he has the abiilty to kick it deep. We no longer need him to kick it deep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast