Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I'm kindof torn on this.

I'm gonna go that it is a good thing, but to make that work in my mind, I'm going to go back a few years when we had a certain MLB suck (EJ) and get moved to the outside. After playing out there a couple years he moved back in when the Chiller took over and did pretty good.

Maybe all Erin needed was some reps on the outside and now, with a bit of coaching, could be ready to step up.

Additionally, one could also take that same rationale and say that it could apply to whomever they plug in at the Will. Running him out there and feeding him to the wolves at the MIke might not be as good for him as letting him get some reps at the Will.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I'm torn too, but I'm more positive to Erin sliding inside now that I've let the idea sink in. Just think that player wise (instincts, run stopping abilites) he's a good fit.

I still don't want to completely count out Audie Cole. Was rated among the top MLB's coming out of college, but I think his combine caused him to fall in the draft. So what if he didn't bench much and ran a sub-par 4.7... it's what he does on the field that counts. He has quick feet, good size, intelligence and instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    I'm torn too, but I'm more positive to Erin sliding inside now that I've let the idea sink in. Just think that player wise (instincts, run stopping abilites) he's a good fit.

I still don't want to completely count out Audie Cole. Was rated among the top MLB's coming out of college, but I think his combine caused him to fall in the draft. So what if he didn't bench much and ran a sub-par 4.7... it's what he does on the field that counts. He has quick feet, good size, intelligence and instincts.
    With better play at both our S spots last year, our defense looked alot better. Same will apply this year with improved interior defensive line play. Our whole defense will look alot better which will equate to whoever we have at the Mike position.

Again, Jasper did fine when he was allowed to take normal alignments pre-snap. For the most part, when he looked like crap vs the pass, he was up mugging the line. That put him at least 2 steps out of position and 3 to 5 steps behind a faster receiver.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yep. The improvements in the secondary and the DL will make the MLB look more competent but next year when we draft a stud MLB you will see the defense really look stellar. A franchise MLB is to the defense what the franchise QB is to the offense.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You act as if a 7th round pick is something akin to fodder.

You ever look at how many 14, 15, 16 etc round draft picks are in the HOF? Or I suppose Sonny Randle, drafted in round 19 (in 1958) should have just packed his bags and not even shown up for camp.

Would have saved his owner 10 years of paychecks.

I mean seriously, why do people of this age think that a 5, 6, or 7 round pick can't make it in this league?
    Probably for the same reason that someone (*cough* yes I mean you) believes the former first-round pick FA we sign for $780,000 including a $65,000 signing bonus, was signed on as nothing more than TC fodder.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Probably for the same reason that someone (*cough* yes I mean you) believes the former first-round pick FA we sign for $780,000 including a $65,000 signing bonus, was signed on as nothing more than TC fodder.
    I've given you several reasons for why I think that, you, on the other hand haven't given me squat. To recap:

a. The Lions are in dire need of DE's. Solution? Resign a certain former 1rst round pick for practically nothing. NOPE........Let let us steal him for almost nothing......YUP, makes me think he is here as the second coming.

b. What topflight DE's get paid.......

4/23/2008: Signed a six-year, $73.260 million contract. The deal contains $31 million guaranteed, including a $15.50 million signing bonus, a $4 million second-year "signing" bonus, and a $4 million guaranteed-for-injury roster bonus in the third season. 2013: $14,280,612, 2014: Free Agent

NOPE....you don't sign a top flight DE for what we signed that cat for,you land cats that are just hoping to make a roster for that kindof money.

You can label him what you will, to me, he equates to camp fodder.

By the way, don't come back with "I didn't use TOPFLIGHT. You might not have used that word but you tried to convince me that we were going to trade one of our TOPFLIGHT DE's becasue we signed this guy for a cup of coffee and a cheap sandwich for goodness sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Yep. The improvements in the secondary and the DL will make the MLB look more competent but next year when we draft a stud MLB you will see the defense really look stellar. A franchise MLB is to the defense what the franchise QB is to the offense.
    Agree. Guess what, I didn't go the research yet, but I asked one of the guys from Ourlads what next years MLB's looked like......He said probably one or two......

Because of the spread offense, not many teams use them anymore so the class will be just as weak as this years class.

If we finish this year like we did last year (drafting bottom of the round) we might not get one again.

I've given you several reasons for why I think that, you, on the other hand haven't given me squat. To recap:

a. The Lions are in dire need of DE's. Solution? Resign a certain former 1rst round pick for practically nothing. NOPE........Let let us steal him for almost nothing......YUP, makes me think he is here as the second coming.

b. What topflight DE's get paid.......

4/23/2008: Signed a six-year, $73.260 million contract. The deal contains $31 million guaranteed, including a $15.50 million signing bonus, a $4 million second-year "signing" bonus, and a $4 million guaranteed-for-injury roster bonus in the third season. 2013: $14,280,612, 2014: Free Agent

NOPE....you don't sign a top flight DE for what we signed that cat for,you land cats that are just hoping to make a roster for that kindof money.

You can label him what you will, to me, he equates to camp fodder.

By the way, don't come back with "I didn't use TOPFLIGHT. You might not have used that word but you tried to convince me that we were going to trade one of our TOPFLIGHT DE's becasue we signed this guy for a cup of coffee and a cheap sandwich for goodness sakes.
    Training camp fodder is a body that is signed for training camp purposes only & is cut once training camp is over & he's no longer needed.

Regardless of your little BS disclaimer, I never said he was a TOPFLIGHT signing nor did I try to convince you he was a TOPFLIGHT signing. All I did was try & convince you he wasn't signed as camp fodder, meaning the Vikings intend to use him in a back up role & keep him beyond TC.

You on the other hand are adamant & feel we threw $65,000 at him just to practice & give our guys someone to go against for a couple of weeks. Again, a walk on can do that.

The former first-round pick has 19.5 career sacks, and he'll slot in as a rotational end behind Jared Allen, Brian Robison, and Everson Griffen.
    Lawrence Jackson - Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Don't see anywhere in that statement that he was brought in as camp fodder & will be tossed back out on the curb once TC is over.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Training camp fodder is a body that is signed for training camp purposes only & is cut once training camp is over & he's no longer needed.

Regardless of your little BS disclaimer, I never said he was a TOPFLIGHT signing nor did I try to convince you he was a TOPFLIGHT signing. All I did was try & convince you he wasn't signed as camp fodder, meaning the Vikings intend to use him in a back up role & keep him beyond TC.

You on the other hand are adamant & feel we threw $65,000 at him just to practice & give our guys someone to go against for a couple of weeks. Again, a walk on can do that.

Lawrence Jackson - Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Don't see anywhere in that statement that he was brought in as camp fodder & will be tossed back out on the curb once TC is over.
    So now he's going to be given a shot at a spot behind those guys. Isn't that a bit different than your contention that the signing of this bust for a mere pittance is a indication that they are going to trade one of them?

You tell me who he is going to beat out and make the 53 day roster and I will relent on my contention that he is camp fodder.

To be anything other than CAMP FODDER he will have to make the roster and I don't see that happening.

I'm kindof torn on this.

I'm gonna go that it is a good thing, but to make that work in my mind, I'm going to go back a few years when we had a certain MLB suck (EJ) and get moved to the outside. After playing out there a couple years he moved back in when the Chiller took over and did pretty good.

Maybe all Erin needed was some reps on the outside and now, with a bit of coaching, could be ready to step up.

Additionally, one could also take that same rationale and say that it could apply to whomever they plug in at the Will. Running him out there and feeding him to the wolves at the MIke might not be as good for him as letting him get some reps at the Will.

Which is it?

I sure hope this isn't what they are going to do.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast