Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    He was a 7th round pick. He wasn't drafted to be the heir apparent, he was drafted because they saw potential in him. Potential to contribute or compete for a roster position and even possibly be a starter some day. He was a guy they felt was worthy of the 210th pick, nothing more.
    I think you underestimate Cole. He has a similar skillset to Brinkley, and no one minded Brinkley starting last year. I like Cole a little more than Brinkley because I think you don't lose that much in the run game and you get much more in the passing game. Cole is way more instinctive in the passing game than Brinkley ever will be, give the guy a chance, he can't do any worse than Brinkley.
    I'm all for giving him a chance if he earns it. I was just addressing the next one in the hopper comment that I felt was a bit too generalized for a 7th round pick.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I'm all for giving him a chance if he earns it. I was just addressing the next one in the hopper comment that I felt was a bit too generalized for a 7th round pick.
    You act as if a 7th round pick is something akin to fodder.

You ever look at how many 14, 15, 16 etc round draft picks are in the HOF? Or I suppose Sonny Randle, drafted in round 19 (in 1958) should have just packed his bags and not even shown up for camp.

Would have saved his owner 10 years of paychecks.

I mean seriously, why do people of this age think that a 5, 6, or 7 round pick can't make it in this league?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You act as if a 7th round pick is something akin to fodder.

You ever look at how many 14, 15, 16 etc round draft picks are in the HOF? Or I suppose Sonny Randle, drafted in round 19 (in 1958) should have just packed his bags and not even shown up for camp.

Would have saved his owner 10 years of paychecks.

I mean seriously, why do people of this age think that a 5, 6, or 7 round pick can't make it in this league?
    There is a difference between expectation and potential. 7th round is more about potential then expectation IMO.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    There is a difference between expectation and potential. 7th round is more about potential then expectation IMO.
    I am not saying he is the answer, what I am saying is if you gave Brinkley a shot why not Cole. Look at their measurables and skillset, see what the difference is between the two players. They are very similar and Cole is way more instinctive in the pass coverage, that is huge for a MIKE in a Tampa two. I am all for giving him a shot with the #1s and see how he pans out. I would rather do that then go with Henderson, he is a known commodity and he is not a very good answer for us at the MIKE IMO.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    OK, I'm tracking now. You've been watching Singer and his play on words haven't you......Well played.....

What I expect is that if the staff drafts a guy and invests time into him in an effort to improve him at the position he was drafted in, then they must see potential in him.

My assumption is that they see the potential and assume that he can be expected to grow into that position (eventually) depending on his rate of learning.

If nothing else, my assumption is that he is being groomed for what he was projected to be on most boards......

Ability to back up at multiple positions enhances his value but is most ideally suited for a backup role.
    ProFootballWeekly.com - Draft Prospect - Audie Cole

Still doesn't mean that he couldn't surprise and wind up our MLB this year. Heck, for that matter, if Erin moves inside, he could wind up starting at the Will.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I want Cole to start this year. Something about that kid that I like. But alas it may just be the Greg Blue syndrome.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I want Cole to start this year. Something about that kid that I like. But alas it may just be the Greg Blue syndrome.
    I really believe we don't hurt anything by giving him a chance to work with the #1s. If he doesn't pan out we can always stick Henderson in there, we know what he can do and CAN'T do.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I really believe we don't hurt anything by giving him a chance to work with the #1s. If he doesn't pan out we can always stick Henderson in there, we know what he can do and CAN'T do.
    I agree with this. Let it sort itself out in the off-season/early training camp and then decide which way to go.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Why move Henderson from a position he is good at to a position he sucks at? Leave him where he is and either sign a FA that can play or promote someone from in the Vikings to play the position. I assume the coaches know whether Cole can play this year or not. He is only going to be as good this year as he was at the end of last year unless he has been doing a lot of off season training with someone. Waiting to sign a FA until the middle of training camp will be too late IMO.

WWBGD

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Sounds like it's more sure to happen that Henderson will be our MLB.

Vikings move Erin Henderson to middle linebacker

Vikings move Erin Henderson to middle linebacker - TwinCities.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast