singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: Contract talks won't intensify for a few weeks

[size=18px]Vikings: Contract talks for draft picks won't intensify for a few weeks[/size]

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: June 26, 2006 – 10:32 PM

Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings vice president of football operations, said Monday he has had preliminary discussions with the agents for all six of the team's picks from the April draft. However, talks aren't expected to heat up until after Independence Day.

"After the Fourth of July, we'll have nearly a month," Brzezinski said. "[Negotiations] will be ongoing. ... We'll be working through them the next few weeks. I don't anticipate any problems."

The Vikings' draft class includes first-round linebacker Chad Greenway; three second-round picks in cornerback Cedric Griffin, offensive lineman Ryan Cook and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson; fourth-round defensive end Ray Edwards; and fifth-round safety Greg Blue.

The Vikings' rookie pool to sign these players, along with other undrafted free agents, has been set at $3.7 million, according to ESPN.com. Greenway, the 17th overall pick who is represented by agent Marvin Demoff, will be looking for a deal that stands to eat up a significant portion of that number.

One of the starting points for talks will be the contract signed by Cincinnati Bengals linebacker David Pollack, the 17th overall selection in the 2005 draft. Pollack held out for 19 days last summer before agreeing to a five-year contract that is worth between $10 and $13 million and includes $7.65 million guaranteed.

"When you start [negotiations], all you have to work off is last year's market," Brzezinski said. "It's relevant obviously. But we have our own business principles that may or may not be like what other teams do."

Many organizations have differing views on their approach to signing picks. Some start at the top and work their way down; others like to open negotiations with their late-round selections. Brzezinski said he has no set rule.

"We talk to everybody simultaneously and wherever we can get a deal that's where we'll pull the trigger," he said. "You just need to be mindful of being able to take the pie and try to budget it accordingly."

The Vikings' picks, along with other rookies, are due to report to training camp July 27 in Mankato. The remainder of the veterans are scheduled to arrive July 30.

Brzezinski knows new coach Brad Childress will want all of his players in camp on time, but Brzezinski stressed the Vikings front office is on the same page when it comes to the rookie deals.

"Coaches always want guys in, and it's important to get them in," he said. "But one thing Brad will support is us doing good contracts. He believes in that. Getting the right business terms. The only reason a guy won't be in on time is if, in the professional opinion of Dave [Blando, the Vikings' director of football administration] and myself, it's not a good deal for the club. Coach has our back on that."

Vikings: Contract talks for draft picks won't intensify for a few weeks

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings: Contract talks won't intensify for a few weeks

In a perfect world, we will have all of them in camp without a holdout.. Well, we don't live in a perfect world.. If anything, lets see Greenway in camp on time, and Jackson as well..

Jarlvik2006 is offline Rookie

Demoff can be tough. I hope that we can get it done so things stay on schedule. Can't wait to see T Jacks in preseason! Can't wait for preseason in general. Hooaah!
    I m Watching You- You may not see me, you may not hear me, but I m watching you...

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Contact talks with rookies not expected to heat up until after July 4
    Tue, 27 Jun 2006 05:31:41 -0700

Jeff Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings vice president of football operations Bob Brzezinski said Monday, June 23, he has had preliminary discussions with the agents for all six of the team's picks from the April NFL Draft. However, talks aren't expected to heat up until after July 4. The Vikings' rookie pool to sign these players, along with other undrafted free agents, has been set at $3.7 million. "When you start (negotiations), all you have to work off is last year's market," Brzezinski said. "It's relevant obviously. But we have our own business principles that may or may not be like what other teams do." The Vikings' picks, along with other rookies, are due to report to training camp July 27 in Mankato. Brzezinski knows new head coach Brad Childress will want all of his players in camp on time, but Brzezinski stressed the Vikings front office is on the same page when it comes to the rookie deals.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Greenway has already stated that he wants to be in camp on time and is looking to be signed quickly so no real worries their. Second rounders and later realy dont have a leg to stand on as far as negotiations are concerned so this will be the year we have them all in camp on time and that will bode well for the season.
    I.B.O.T. #213

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

im not worried a bit ^_^, we all know Brzezinski can work magic

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Poor Williamson8211...he can't even get one article in edgewise!!!

And all he wants is a new name...poor little guy!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Poor Williamson8211...he can't even get one article in edgewise!!!

And all he wants is a new name...poor little guy!
    And you're just pushing for the big 20,000!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

oakmage is offline Starter

"sunny" wrote:
    Greenway has already stated that he wants to be in camp on time and is looking to be signed quickly so no real worries their. Second rounders and later realy dont have a leg to stand on as far as negotiations are concerned so this will be the year we have them all in camp on time and that will bode well for the season.
    I don't want to be seen as a party pooper but saying and being in camp on time is two different things. I am going to wait and see if he does or does not come into camp on time.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Would be nice to see all our un-signed players, signed up and ready for camp......

I have a feeling, it will happen....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.