Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings confident in their other receivers

[size=14pt]Vikings confident in their other receivers[/size]
    BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — Vikings players had little comment Wednesday on the DWI arrest of No. 1 wide receiver Koren Robinson, expressing support for their teammate and confidence in the other receivers on the roster.

Coach Brad Childress indicated the team would bring in receivers for tryouts with Robinson out, but he added, "There's not a rush to replace him or anything like that."

Unless the Vikings are willing to swing a trade for a disgruntled wideout such as Denver's Ashley Lelie, Oakland's Jerry Porter or New England's Deion Branch, whomever they sign probably won't be coming in as a starter.

Among the available free agents are Az-Zahir Hakim, Kevin Johnson, Nate Poole, Chris Doering and Freddie Mitchell.

Quarterback Brad Johnson said he would wait until today's scheduled media session to discuss the Robinson situation but said he feels comfortable with Troy Williamson and Travis Taylor as the starting receivers.

"(As) I've talked about from the get-go, I feel confident with the guys we have," Johnson said. "Obviously, I've played with the four we had last year. With Troy, Marcus (Robinson) and Travis, we've had a lot of practice time, had a lot of playing time last year and this year. I do feel comfortable with those guys going in."

With Koren Robinson facing a possible one-year NFL suspension, Taylor moves into the starting lineup at the No. 2 receiver spot, with Williamson moving up to de facto No. 1.

Off what Taylor has seen during training camp, last year's No. 1 draft choice is up to the challenge.

"Troy has shown great improvement from last year," Taylor said. "He has learned the game. He's picking things up a lot faster. You know he can run, so he has been working on other aspects of his game — adjusting to the ball in the air. This year, you can see he's timing his jumps and using his body and his feet at the same time. He can play."

Williamson said he's ready for whatever the Vikings throw at him.

"However coach wants to use me, I'm willing to go with it," he said. "I just have to keep doing what I'm doing and continue to keep making plays as a receiver."

As for any added pressure he might be feeling, Williamson said: "We have responsibility as a whole. That's how I look at it. We're all going to work together in this."

Robinson's arrest is the first such incident on Childress' watch, and some players said it was disappointing to have to deal with yet another off-the-field distraction, especially with the team scheduled to break training camp Friday after today's final practices.

"You always have to expect something every year," Johnson said. "No matter what team, what year you play, something happens to every team. You have to deal with it and move on as best you can."

Add in linebacker Chad Greenway's season-ending knee injury, and the Vikings are dealing with a potentially damaging 1-2 punch. But cornerback Fred Smoot said it's up to the team's veteran leaders to keep things together.

"In a season, things like this happen," he said. "You lose guys by injury or a lot of other different ways. Somebody's just got to step up. Somebody's got to shock the world. Somebody that you probably never heard of."

Safety Darren Sharper and cornerback Antoine Winfield, like the majority of players, said they will decline comment on Robinson's arrest until all the facts of the case are in.

"That happens," Winfield said. "We're all adults. You have to be responsible for your actions. What he did, he did. It's over with."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

dixieVKNG is offline Waterboy

Re: Vikings confident in their other receivers

Umm...for some reason "Freddy Mitchell" sticks out the most to me in this article...maybe it is because he played in Philly?!?!?!?
    Not saying I would like to see him here...just think that he is a possible.
    Personally I would like to see about Porter. JMHO.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't think we will trade for Porter or Lelie.
    branch might be an outside possibility.
    I actually wouldn't mind picking up Kevin Johnson.
    He has some productive years with the Browns a few years ago.
    He stunk it up with the Lions, but so did everybody else.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Please God, do not allow us to pick up Freddie Mitchell.
    I think I would rather have TO on the Vikings roster... and that is saying a LOT.

dixieVKNG is offline Waterboy

Please don't think that I want to see him here either...just with the whole Childress connection and past "moves" make it an unfortunte possibility...however..maybe Childress since he worked with Mitchell...knows he sucks...lets hope that anyway.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Its not that I dont think our WR's on the field cant get it done, its the fact that in the NFL injuries occur often.What happens when one of our top 3 goes out? (God forbid)We where just fine with K-Rob in...without him I really think we need to sign a WR with atleast number 2 expierence.Problem is there is none in FA worth our time.I ask myself do I want Porter or LeLie on this team? Sure why not, both arnt shabby, but do we wanna give up what we have to get them? Nope.LeLie isnt a bad deal IMO, third or 4th rounder.I think he'd a solid addition to this team.I guess we'll see what happens tho.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    Please God, do not allow us to pick up Freddie Mitchell.
    I think I would rather have TO on the Vikings roster... and that is saying a LOT.
    I'd have to agree with ya there !

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | B. Johnson confident in Williamson and Taylor
    Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:09:32 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Brad Johnson is confident in the abilities of the starting receiver tandem of WRs Troy Williamson and Travis Taylor. Taylor recently moved into a starting role with WR Koren Robinson, the previous No. 1 receiver, out of action due to his arrest on a DWI charge.

Vikings | Team to bring in players for workouts
    Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:52:14 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress intends to bring in receivers for workouts due to WR Koren Robinson's arrest.

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

I think we should get Derrick Armstrong from the texans or az ahir akim or whatever. Since there only decent wrs in free agency right now. However a trade would make the most sense I think because Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson are terrible and Williamson hasn't developed yet. McCareins would make the most since he has no bad rapsheet and Porter and Lelie do with their teams.

Formerly Viking24

Prophet Guest

I'm not a big fan of M. Robinson, but T. Taylor is far from terrible.
    He started off his career at the #1 slot with the Ravens when they had Leafesque-type QBs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast