Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Vikings: Coach says offense is close

[size=10pt]Vikings: Coach says offense is close[/size]

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/709211.html

About 48 hours had passed when Brad Childress sat down Tuesday night to take a final look at film of the Vikings' three-point loss to Chicago. Win or lose, this has become his custom. Remove the emotions felt in the hours after a game and then make a final assessment with a fresh perspective.
    And so as Childress ran through Chicago's 19-16 victory, the frustration the Vikings coach felt about his offense having failed to score a touchdown in nine-plus quarters was tempered by this thought: "We're about this far away," he said holding his thumb and forefinger about 2 inches apart.

Childress has spent this week trying to close that gap as the Vikings prepare for Sunday's game at Buffalo. As the man who calls the plays, the Vikings' 18th-ranked offense is his baby, and right now it's his problem.

The offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles the past four seasons, Childress has brought his version of the West Coast offense to Minnesota. Much of it resembles what the Eagles do, but Childress has sprinkled in his own philosophies, while subtracting others used by Philadelphia coach Andy Reid.

"It feels a lot like it did the first year in Philadelphia," Childress said of the Vikings offense. "It's not rote. There is a new experience every week, but we're getting there. It's a work in progress."

On the run

Most Vikings agree the offensive system in which they are playing largely resembles Philadelphia's -- except for one thing. Childress, who watched Reid call plays for the Eagles, is more focused on establishing the run.

The stats support that. In three games, the Vikings have rushed the ball 91 times, with running back Chester Taylor getting 75 of those carries. The Eagles, meanwhile, have 78 rushes, with leading rusher Brian Westbrook carrying the ball 44 times.

"I know Coach Childress wants to run the ball," Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "Whereas in Philly they kind of used the pass to set up the run. But I know that his philosophy is to run the football and have that set up the passing game."

One thing Bevell attempts to shoot down is any suggestion that the pass-catching tight end isn't as important to Childress as it is Reid. While Eagles tight end L.J. Smith leads the team with 16 receptions, the Vikings' Jermaine Wiggins has half that many catches.

"This offense is about getting the ball to the guy that is open and being able to spread the ball throughout," Bevell said. "Everybody has the same amount of opportunities to catch the ball. Coverage is going to dictate oftentimes where the ball is going to go. The quarterback [Brad Johnson] is doing a great job of getting it to the guy within his progression of where that ball is supposed to go."

Receiver Billy McMullen, who spent the past three seasons in Philadelphia with Childress, agrees the biggest difference he has seen is in the approach to the run.

"We ran the ball in Philly but not like with Chester," he said. "It helps out in the passing game because you can go deeper. They are looking for the run."

And as the Vikings' offense continues to evolve, that is exactly what Childress wants. The West Coast system by its nature can lull an opponent into believing one thing is coming only to get the opposite.

"That's the good thing about this offense. It's flexible," said right guard Artis Hicks, who like McMullen was obtained in an offseason trade from the Eagles. "Some offenses, if you can't get one thing to work you're kind of limited. You don't have as many choices. But with this offense one week you can be a running team, the next week you [use short passes], the next week you have deep routes."

Of course, having the proper personnel in place is vital to the success of any system. Childress has continually assessed what he has and tweaked things when he thought it would help.

"I think the important thing to always know is where you are at," he said. "What you can do and what you can't do. Just because I want to do something that's in the West Coast offense doesn't mean that we can. You probe. That's what training camp is for. You see what you do well and you kind of try to play to your strengths."

And even then penalties, minus-yardage plays and other assorted mistakes can make for a frustrating scoreless stretch.

"You can have 10 guys doing the right thing and one guy that is a little bit off, and the play looks like slop," Childress said. "It's just hitting all the keys to the piano. Everything sounding right, being right, that one little key that's not right makes the whole thing sound bad. In this case, look bad."

Judd Zulgad • [email protected]

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings: Coach says offense is close

Well it sounds like he needs to do a little more sprinkling & subtracting.

A Play that I miss seeing in the redzone is hitting a wide open Jimmy Kleinsasser in the endzone for 6.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Just imagine what they will do once that offense is clicking.. We have won 2 close ones, and we lost one close one that we should have won.. Our defense is doing their job, once that offense comes around, its lights out..

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

Hopefully this offense will start firing on all cylinders this weekend in buffalo.

BJ'S A Great leader and has the more arm strength than I realized to give the Vikes a deep threat ...if TWill can just catch it!.
    [img width=253 height=190]http://bestsmileys.com/sports1/8.gif[/img]

Chester has great vision and definetly ready to have a break out game soon!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

They need to mix in more backs tho if they continue to run this much because Chester will not hold up if he is running the ball 30 to 35 times a game.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"One thing Bevell attempts to shoot down is any suggestion that the pass-catching tight end isn't as important to Childress as it is Reid. While Eagles tight end L.J. Smith leads the team with 16 receptions, the Vikings' Jermaine Wiggins has half that many catches."

DUH...if they keep taking Wiggins OUT on third down (like they did numerous times last Sunday), this is going to continue to happen...wake up, Vikes...Wiggy needs to be in there on EVERY third down!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

i think chester will have a great game and will set up alot of passes for brad, his passes have mainly been right on target and we need to catch them and hold on to them, but then again, bogus calls for interference doesnt help either, maybe we will get some refs who can really see what is going on.
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

does anyone know if they took wiggy out on that 4th and 2 last sunday...if they did it was a big mistake
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "One thing Bevell attempts to shoot down is any suggestion that the pass-catching tight end isn't as important to Childress as it is Reid. While Eagles tight end L.J. Smith leads the team with 16 receptions, the Vikings' Jermaine Wiggins has half that many catches."

DUH...if they keep taking Wiggins OUT on third down (like they did numerous times last Sunday), this is going to continue to happen...wake up, Vikes...Wiggy needs to be in there on EVERY third down!!!
    Well for that game I think they wanted to put Jimmy K. out there to block Urlacher and keep him out of the play. I do hope we get Wiggins involved some more as we go and I think they want away from throwing to Chester as well in that game they should give him a couple passes to work with along with his 20 carries.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePumpkin" wrote:
    Hopefully this offense will start firing on all cylinders this weekend in buffalo.

BJ'S A Great leader and has the more arm strength than I realized to give the Vikes a deep threat ...if TWill can just catch it!.
    [img width=253 height=190]http://bestsmileys.com/sports1/8.gif[/img]

Chester has great vision and definetly ready to have a break out game soon!
    Besides drops, we had two fumbles by CT and TT at key points in the game.
    One, we were in FG range.

Yes, we need to play better on O. LIke I said in another thread, it is being more consistant from possession to possession during the game.
    This will make us appear more dominant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast