Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings coach Childress won't call plays? Maybe

Vikings coach Childress won't call plays? Maybe
    Opening up during a lengthy radio appearance, the Vikings coach hinted he might hand over the duty over to Darrell Bevell.
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1073943.html
    Kind of a rehash from the KFAN interview but I hadn't seen this headline.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings coach Childress won't call plays? Maybe

"I always struggled with where his release came from," Childress said. "It's kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over the top release. Just in the tape I've watched [since] he's been in the league, he can make some of the throws, he can't make all the throws. He gets some balls batted [down] at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from. ...
    I am sure that is what Kubiak couldn't fix and is why they let him go.....

I still think this might be a bit of smoke here.
    I still hope they try to bring him in at a lower price after he is released.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I heard this interview and a caller (might have been Del Rio) asked him what a offensive coordinator does, hinting that Childress should not call the plays and let his offensive coordinator do it and Chilly answered that Bevell is in the booth and that he gives Chilly information on what the defenses are doing against them and tendencies.

Didn't sound to me like Childress was thinking of not being the play caller even tho I think the head coach should be a head coach and not the offensive coordinator.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Whoever can be most effective calling plays should do it.
    There isn't any rule that says the OC should / must call plays.

Hopefully, Childress AND Bevell both learned from 2006 what works and what doesn't work, makes adjustments, and that the OL doesn't set the Vikings back 5-10 yds with penalties that hinder drives with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd and-long situations.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

Childress needs to suck it up and realize that he is not the best play caller on the block. I guess his former boss, Andy Reid, knew that as well because he never called the plays in Philly either. I recommended the quick solution of getting an offensive coordinator to call the plays a long time ago, but now after seeing who we are going for in Free Agency, I realize that the Vikings will not see Brad Childress calling plays in two years.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

"ballhog27" wrote:
    Childress needs to suck it up and realize that he is not the best play caller on the block. I guess his former boss, Andy Reid, knew that as well because he never called the plays in Philly either. I recommended the quick solution of getting an offensive coordinator to call the plays a long time ago, but now after seeing who we are going for in Free Agency, I realize that the Vikings will not see Brad Childress calling plays in two years.
    I like it when someone blames Childress. Its like it is a secret code for "My opinion is worthless because I don't know what I'm talking about"
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"ballhog27" wrote:
    I don't think that the Vikings need to have the BEST playcaller on the block.

I'd be happy with top 10 in the league.
    The defense is good enough, and may get better at pass defense, that an effective, low-mistake, offense will yield a winning record.

I hope Childress AND Bevell learned from 2006, and improve in 2007.
    I don't expect perfection or excellence in the first year of work by anyone I supervised, so I assume the same for a head coach or OC.
    But I do expect and DEMAND improvement over past performance.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

One thing is for sure, this season is going to tell a heck of alot about Childress and his ability to call a game and develop players. Last year he inherited a team that had been 9-7 and got a big checkbook balance to supplement his talent. He got to bring in his coaching staff and his system.

I think it is safe to say his rookie year was less successful than many of the other first year coaches and many of them came on the job with less money and less power to change things than he did.

Now we will get to watch and see if those coaches sacrificed long term success for a short term gain and whether their teams continue to improve or if they flatten or regress.The same way with our team. We may have taken a step backward in order to build our foundation so that we can now improve and get better for a long period of time, or we may have hired the wrong guy who,by the tome he leaves,will have destroyed the foundation of the franchise. Nobody can say for sure and that is why we watch the games. If we all knew how every game was going to end,it would be far less interesting.

The thing I will be watching for is how the players that he has gotten develop. He was touted as a QB developing machine and a person with an eye for talent and attention to detail.
    If that is the case, we should see a QB who becomes a solid player who makes good decisions playing behind a line that has had a year to get better and is able to execute their assignment without committing penalties or missing blocks. We have run a boatload of WR's through our doors since Childress took the helm and by the season opener he has found 3 guys who can fit his system and we should see that system making them better players who run correct routes.If, on the other hand we see an offense that still looks lifeless,unorganized and confused enough to commit penalties at key times and unable to convert third downs, then I think things will speak for themselves.

I really hope that we have a team next year that can get into the playoffs and scare some teams in the process, but I cannot say that I am at all optimistic about it happening. Hopefully I am eating a big plate of crow by the 3rd quarter of game one and it takes me all year to choke it down
    ;D

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    One thing is for sure, this season is going to tell a heck of alot about Childress and his ability to call a game and develop players. Last year he inherited a team that had been 9-7 and got a big checkbook balance to supplement his talent. He got to bring in his coaching staff and his system.

I think it is safe to say his rookie year was less successful than many of the other first year coaches and many of them came on the job with less money and less power to change things than he did.

Now we will get to watch and see if those coaches sacrificed long term success for a short term gain and whether their teams continue to improve or if they flatten or regress.The same way with our team. We may have taken a step backward in order to build our foundation so that we can now improve and get better for a long period of time, or we may have hired the wrong guy who,by the tome he leaves,will have destroyed the foundation of the franchise. Nobody can say for sure and that is why we watch the games. If we all knew how every game was going to end,it would be far less interesting.

The thing I will be watching for is how the players that he has gotten develop. He was touted as a QB developing machine and a person with an eye for talent and attention to detail.
    If that is the case, we should see a QB who becomes a solid player who makes good decisions playing behind a line that has had a year to get better and is able to execute their assignment without committing penalties or missing blocks. We have run a boatload of WR's through our doors since Childress took the helm and by the season opener he has found 3 guys who can fit his system and we should see that system making them better players who run correct routes.If, on the other hand we see an offense that still looks lifeless,unorganized and confused enough to commit penalties at key times and unable to convert third downs, then I think things will speak for themselves.

I really hope that we have a team next year that can get into the playoffs and scare some teams in the process, but I cannot say that I am at all optimistic about it happening. Hopefully I am eating a big plate of crow by the 3rd quarter of game one and it takes me all year to choke it down
    ;D

Uffda,

Although I don't agree 100% with you on everything here, it is by far one of the better posts I have read lately.

Props man
    ;D

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I hope whatever he decides to do, the players understand it and execute the plays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast