Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Vikings stadium clears final hurdle

Vikings stadium clears final hurdle | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Attachment 336
    WE DID IT! The stadium bill has passed in both the House of Representatives and Senate and, once signed by the Governor, will make the construction of a new publicly-owned stadium for the State of Minnesota and the Vikings a reality!

Get ...out and celebrate because YOU DID IT! Your calls, emails, tweets and rallies helped push us over the top. We could not have done it without you! Thanks to you, thousands of jobs will be supported, the Vikings will stay in Minnesota where they belong and the tradition will passed on to many future generations.

Please take a minute to THANK the legislators in the House and Senate who gave a final vote in favor of the bill and call the bill authors, Senator Julie Rosen and Representative Morrie Lanning.

Again, we could not have come this far without such incredible, passionate, active fans like you! THANK YOU for your ongoing support and commitment. We will continue to keep you updated on the stadium plans as things move forward.

Thank you for your support!

And a special Thank You goes out to Thee Viking World Order
    Your support and hard work for years on this will never be forgotten battle after battle and the VWO never gave up on this great cause, and Larry Spooner thank you for all you have done, I look forward to Knighting you into the VWO at the season opener, and Corry Merrifield of Save The Vikes.org great Job my friend I'm sure you feel the same satisfaction I do in the job getting done!!!

Dibbzz is offline Starter

Vikings closing in on deal for new stadium in Minnesota

This was pretty much a given but I'm glad it's now officially over. Now I'm just wondering what design they'll come up with an who the contractor is going to be an if it's going to be a retractable stadium or not.

To build a stadium in Minneapolis, supporters needed help from St. Paul.

And St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman began showing up at hearings, talking about his city's concerns over the deal, in particular how it could affect the Xcel Energy Center.

Everyone was anticipating a close vote in the Legislature, and every vote counted.

There had to be something in the stadium negotiations for the capital city, Rosen said.

But St. Paul leaders started by asking for about $175 million, she said, "and I'm like, 'No way.' "

Then, the night before a key committee hearing, St. Paul officials laid out a proposal that "had everything," Rosen said. "You know, the whole laundry list ... and I said, 'Well, not going to happen.' "

Knowing she needed some St. Paul votes, she put a $1.3 million annual contribution to St. Paul in the bill "as a placeholder." That was later boosted to $2.7 million at the urging of Senate Minority Leader Tom Bakk, DFL-Cook.
    In order to build a stadium, the state had to give a $2.7 million annual contribution to St. Paul, just to get their votes?

No wonder it costs a billion dollars to build a stadium. No wonder why they demanded another $50 mil from the Wilf's.

How much did St. Paul give Minneapolis when they built the Xcel Energy Center?
    Last edited by singersp; 05-27-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Ultrapurple is offline Rookie

Any support out there for honoring one Harry Peter (Bud) Grant in naming the new stadium?
    UltraPurple, USAF (Ret)
    The Woodlands, Texas

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrapurple View Post
    Any support out there for honoring one Harry Peter (Bud) Grant in naming the new stadium?
    It woud be cool, but considering naming rights mean millions of dollars in revenue, I doubt it would happen. It is going to be Target Stadium, or 3M field, or something of the sort.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Ultrapurple is offline Rookie

I understand the $$ involved in the naming rights. I'm just thinking along the lines of, Mall Of America Field at the HHH Metrodome. I just thought it would be cool...... Not to mention awfully attractive to Budweiser!
    UltraPurple, USAF (Ret)
    The Woodlands, Texas

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Sen Marty is an idiot.

Yes, it was a good deal for the Vikings. It was also a good deal for the state of Minnesota, the city of Minneapolis, and the city of St Paul. If he could get past his obsessive rally against public spending on private businesses, he would be able to see that there was mutual benefit.

Obviously we all would have loved it if Wilf would have just been benevolent and built the entire stadium himself while still allowing the state to use it 300+ days per year rent free. But that simply is an unrealistic expectation, and would be a poor business decision.

If the United States was a vacuum of public spending - meaning that no other location would be willing to subsidize private investment with public money - then Marty's position of zero public money for private business would make sense. Honestly, I would love that. Small government, low taxes, capital freedom. I love it. Unfortunately this kind of fiscal utopia cannot exist unless all parties play by the same rules. And short of a federal law preventing public subsidization, this will never happen. The reality is that public bodies do have the ability to subsidize private business as a way to entice them to locate in a specific area.

What Marty doesn't get is that Minnesota wouldn't be making any kind of revolutionary statement by not building the stadium. Cities and states across the nation wouldn't all of a sudden widen their eyes and collective say "We can DO that?". Instead, it would have the opposite effect. The Vikings would have left, and it would have reinforced the NFL's stance that they can and will leave if their host venue does not value them enough to invest in them. It would literally be the opposite of his desired effect. I think that if he spent less time screaming his absolute stance of no public money, and instead worked towards increasing private investment, he would be much more successful.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647