Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings claw back to where they once were

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12962941.html
    [size=12pt]Brad Childress' first year was lousy. This season was better -- a return to the level of Mike Tice, who had fewer resources.[/size]
    Now that we've had a couple of years to observe the Vikings' new operation, to appreciate the challenges the job presents, it's time to concede that the coach did a pretty good job.

And by "the coach," we, of course, mean Mike Tice.

Brad Childress? In his two years at Winter Park, he's succeeded only in the way the tide succeeds when it returns to the beach. He has regained lost ground...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings claw back to where they once were

Holy crud!
    A star tribune article that didn't want to make me throw my computer monitor out of the house.
    I thought it was a pretty good article as
    quick sum up of the Childress regime, and even got a little man love for my man Tice.
    ;D

purplepowered is offline Pro-Bowler

I keep saying it and it is hard to say in fact i choke up saying Green has never looked so good but definately Tice Much <Much better coach. I can think of a guy right now who looks good. Maybe if not frasier (who now deserves it bringing up our dbs better) but how about Mike Singletary? He would be a great Vikings coach...old black and blue. The would be awesome. Or Pepper Johnson NE def line coach
    I am THE #1 Sidney Rice #18 Fan ever! Don't Be surprised when this kid IS a superstar! He is humble, smart, tough, talented and has alot of character! Takes alot of pride in his work, team, fans and life. Watch out for this kid! I think he is awesome! Everytime he touches the ball its MAGIC!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't even want to talk about replacements right now. It is pretty clear he will be coaching the team starting next year. I want to see what the team does in FA and the draft to solidify the roster. We will know quite a bit about the teams future before they get down here to Mankato this summer.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Are you kidding me?

Were is that thread that laid out the 2005, 2006, 2007 stats.

Were is it, were is it.
    Gonna go find it.
    ;D

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I don't even want to talk about replacements right now. It is pretty clear he will be coaching the team starting next year. I want to see what the team does in FA and the draft to solidify the roster. We will know quite a bit about the teams future before they get down here to Mankato this summer.
    Don't expect much out of Free Agency... Chilly has said time and time again that he wants to build through the draft. He may take a player or too... but don't keep your hopes up for any big names. (I still have my fingers crossed for Fitz or Ocho-Cinco... but realistically... not gonna happen)
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Don't expect much out of Free Agency... Chilly has said time and time again that he wants to build through the draft. He may take a player or too... but don't keep your hopes up for any big names. (I still have my fingers crossed for Fitz or Ocho-Cinco... but realistically... not gonna happen)
    I think you are right C Mac... We may take a player or two in the off season, probably even take a look at a big name or two if any come up in free agency that fit our needs.
    But I doubt we would initiate any trade talk because we are likely not going to give up draft picks for anyone.
    The draft picks are too valuable to Childress an co., and the Vikings front office has shown that they can be pretty effective in the draft.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"C" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    The organization has said time and time again that they want to build through the draft.

The coaches have to coach that talent, keep a "Company Stance" in front of the press and beeeeyyyyatcch like hell behind the scenes (Fran Foley firing) when they don't get what they want.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"Schutz" wrote:
    Holy crud!
    A star tribune article that didn't want to make me throw my computer monitor out of the house.

quick sum up of the Childress regime, and even got a little man love for my man Tice.
    ;D
    In defense of Childress, (I cannot even believe I am defending Childress), he did believe he was set at quarterback when he took the Vikings job.
    Only to find out that Culpepper's ego had grown to the point where he thought he was the best qb in the NFL, and could make any demands he wanted.

I believe that the past two seasons have proven that without great wide receivers Culpepper is a below average quarterback.

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Holy crud!

;D
    In defense of Childress, (I cannot even believe I am defending Childress), he did believe he was set at quarterback when he took the Vikings job.
    Only to find out that Culpepper's ego had grown to the point where he thought he was the best qb in the NFL, and could make any demands he wanted.

I believe that the past two seasons have proven that without great wide receivers Culpepper is a below average quarterback.
    And Tice sucked without Moss.
    Where the hell is that stat thread that compared the 2005 (first year without Moss), 2006 and 2007 stats?
    I have searched and it doesn't come up.

Never mind, I found it I found it......... ;D

Minnesota Vikings team stats 2005-2007

Breaking down Vikings' team stats in 2005 (Head Coach Mike Tice's last year) and 2006 and 2007 (the Childress era). Please bear in mind that the official stats from Week 17 aren't out yet.

Offense

Pts/G:

22.8 (15th)

17.6 (26th)

19.1 (19th)
    Yds/G:
    336.2 (13th)

308.9 (23rd)

288.3 (25th)
    Pass/G:
    171.6 (28th)

195.2 (18th)

196.6 (20th)
    Rush/G:
    164.6 (1st)

113.8 (16th)

91.7 (27th)
    Yds/P:

5.6 (5th-T)

4.8 (24th-T)

4.9 (20th-T)
    20yd+

3rd%:

34% (27th-T)

33% (28th-T)

33% (28th-T)
    # Pen:

86 (13th)

123 (32nd)

128 (23rd)

Defense

Pts/G:

19.4 (11th-T)

20.4 (14th)

21.5 (19th)
    Yds/G:
    338.1 (20th)

300.2 (8th)

323.3 (21st)
    Pass/G:
    264.1 (32nd)

238.6 (31st-T)

208.3 (22nd)
    Rush/G:
    74.1 (1st)

61.6 (1st)

115.1 (19th)
    Sacks:

38 (8th)

30 (25th-T)

34 (22nd)
    PD:

74 (15th)

71 (21st-T)

84 (11th)
    Yds/P:

5.1 (15th)

4.9 (7th-T)

5.0 (16th)
    20yd+

3rd%:

40%
    (18th)

34% (5th)

43% (31st)
    #Pen:

110 (28th)

112 (30th)

(30th)

Special teams

Avg yds/KO return:

24.8 (4th)

22.6 (17th)

21.8 (19th)

Turnover ratio:

2007: +1

(31 takeaways)
    2006: +4

(36 takeaways)
    2005: +5

(35 takeaways)

Stats compiled from sports.yahoo.c om
    and nfl.com. Explosive plays are separated for rushing and passing. I added the two together and can't easily rank that against other teams.

Observations

Better under Childress: offensive explosive plays (20yd+), rushing offense, rushing defense, kickoff returns, number of offensive penalties, number of defensive penalties, sacks, points per game, offensive yards per game, offensive yards per pass, points allowed per game, opponents' 3rd down percentage.

The following statistics have grown worse: explosive plays allowed (20yd+), passing yards per game, passes defensed, and turnover ratio.

Some statistics, like allowed yards/pass, improved notably in 2006 when Mike Tomlin was defensive coordinator, then slid back to 2005 levels after Tomlin left.

The Vikings haven't defended the pass well under Coach Childress. The holes in the pass defense have undermined the top-notch rushing defense. The passing attack was more consistent with Brad Johnson as QB in 2006, but the important yards/pass statistic climbed nicely in 2007 with young Tarvaris Jackson throwing the ball.

A key improvement is offensive penalties. The Vikings are not suffering numerous false start calls anymore hurting drives. There is still much to improve upon here, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Rushing defense is near perfect. Everything else needs more work. The trend is mostly positive.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=41131.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast