Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 96
  1. #21
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,053

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

    That would be nice to have a brand new awesome stadium on the site of the Metrodome.. All fans will know exactly how to get there, and will be a hell of alot better then the current stadium..

  2. #22
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,053

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream


  3. #23
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    “The sole focus of the Vikings stadium development project is to keep the team in Minneapolis and build a new stadium on the Metrodome site as part of a broader redevelopment of the Downtown East area,” Bagley said in the letter. “This is a development opportunity that Mr. Wilf has indicated an interest in being involved since first purchasing the Vikings in 2005. Indeed, he testified to his intention in investing in this part of Minneapolis at the State Legislature in 2006.
    Plain and simple.
    Hopefully, that ends all of the Chicken Littling around here.

    =Z+

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #24
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

    KFFL
    Vikings | Hoping Legislature will approve stadium plans
    Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:36:05 -0800

    Paul Levy, of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings plan to ask Legislature this spring about approving their proposed new stadium plan, which would be located right where the Metrodome now stands. However, the team has yet to decide on a financial partner, complete a stadium blueprint and has not named the legislators who would champion their cause. The Vikings' financial strategy is expected to become evident in the coming weeks after tentative plans for a stadium with a retractable roof are unveiled Feb. 1, giving the team enough time to present plans to the Legislature. The Vikings' lease for the Metrodome stadium expires after the 2011 season.

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #25
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

    "singersp" wrote:
    Things I see as potential show stoppers/problems before it is brought before the legislature;

    No financial partner(s)

    How to make up the loss of the $280 mil that Anoka county was going to give. (They couldn't get it done when that revenue was there)

    Parking/tailgate areas: The parking lots are quickly disappearing & with one of the main big lots closing (Rapid Park) for the building of the Twins stadium, parking & tailgating will be an issue. There are some ramps & lots now, but they are sporatically located within a mile radius of the dome.

    Traffic: Always has been a nightmare getting out of the downtown area & it will have to be addressed.

    Season ticket sales: Based on what I saw this past year, season tickets will take a hit this year as will the sale of regular ticket sales.

    Where to play: They are leaning towards the UM stadium while the dome is torn down & the new stadium built, but if that deal falls thru, what other options/locations do they have?

    State support: The support of the state & the local taxpayers hasn't been overwhelming & following a 6-10 record, it may become more difficult.



    I thought the Vikes were looking at buying land next to the Dome anyways? That would solve some of the Parking issues and hopefully give some prime Tailgating area.

    Driving around the dome even on non game days can be a pain in the arse. But they could look at other options for getting down there. Hopefully something will work out. But I like the idea of building 3/4 of the stadium until the end of the season and then complete it after the season. But I am sure that using the Gophers new stadium for a year or 2 if neccesary is a option as well.

  6. #26
    BigMoInAZ's Avatar
    BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    446

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

    Minneapolis preferred

    In the Vikings' letter, written by team vice president Lester Bagley on behalf of owner Zygi Wilf, the team said that its fans, sponsors and Twin Cities business leaders "have clearly communicated" their preference for keeping the Vikings in Minneapolis. "The Metro Dump site provides for the most cost-efficient location in Minnesota," stated the letter, also sent to Pawlenty.
    First I have to ask, does anyone remember a poll or study done by the Vikings that explicitly asked their fans for their opinions?
    Maybe there was a local newspaper poll done that wasn't used as supporting proof?
    I just don't ever remember the fans being asked squat about this issue.
    Based on everything up through last November, most fans thought the Blaine Stadium was the teams future!
    Anyone?
    Lost when the Vikings' partnership with Anoka County ended was the $280 million the county pledged toward the stadium in Blaine. However, by building on the Metro Dump site, the Vikings avoid costs for new roads, which the Minnesota Department of Transportation projected would cost up to $270 million in Blaine.
    This last part was a big issue because it was plainly stated that any new stadium built up in Blaine would require the current highways and roads to receive the needed upgrades to support the plans.
    Wasn't it also stated that the Department of Transportation was scheduled to make those very same upgrades regardless if a stadium was built in Blaine?
    Seems to me the Vikings used this as an excuse and deal killer just because the DOT wasn't scheduled to make those necessary upgrades until much later in the future?
    Someone should know!

    Personally, I think the Vikings are screwing their fans by planning on building over the current site.
    Without adequate parking revenues as well as having a plan for marketing tail gating events, the fans are the ones left holding the bag!
    Sounds very screwy!


    Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

  7. #27
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

    "BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    Minneapolis preferred

    In the Vikings' letter, written by team vice president Lester Bagley on behalf of owner Zygi Wilf, the team said that its fans, sponsors and Twin Cities business leaders "have clearly communicated" their preference for keeping the Vikings in Minneapolis. "The Metro Dump site provides for the most cost-efficient location in Minnesota," stated the letter, also sent to Pawlenty.
    First I have to ask, does anyone remember a poll or study done by the Vikings that explicitly asked their fans for their opinions?
    Maybe there was a local newspaper poll done that wasn't used as supporting proof?
    I just don't ever remember the fans being asked squat about this issue.
    Based on everything up through last November, most fans thought the Blaine Stadium was the teams future!
    Anyone?
    Yes.
    Minnesota Momentum has conducted a couple of polls, and there was a public opinion study done when Red was owner that went fairly in depth in to the public's view of a new stadium.
    Many fans also contacted their local congressmen during the last session expressing their views about the new stadium.
    You can also write to the Vikings organization directly and express your concerns.
    I did last year and received a response.
    It was a form letter, but at least it was a response.
    Finally, keep in mind that the Vikings have marketing firms who are paid to keep their finger on the pulse of the fan base.
    They monitor sales, opinion polls, and even online forums like this one.
    FYI, You are always welcome to join Minnesota Momentum and help contribute to the stadium effort.
    Just because you weren't personally polled doesn't mean that the Vikings organization is out to screw the fans.
    :

    "BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    Lost when the Vikings' partnership with Anoka County ended was the $280 million the county pledged toward the stadium in Blaine. However, by building on the Metro Dump site, the Vikings avoid costs for new roads, which the Minnesota Department of Transportation projected would cost up to $270 million in Blaine.
    This last part was a big issue because it was plainly stated that any new stadium built up in Blaine would require the current highways and roads to receive the needed upgrades to support the plans.
    Wasn't it also stated that the Department of Transportation was scheduled to make those very same upgrades regardless if a stadium was built in Blaine?
    Seems to me the Vikings used this as an excuse and deal killer just because the DOT wasn't scheduled to make those necessary upgrades until much later in the future?
    Someone should know!
    The Dot was planning the upgrades... but not for nearly ten years after the proposed stadium was to be built.
    A stadium and retail development the size of the one proposed in Blaine needed the transportation upgrades sooner rather than later, hence the extra $270 mil.
    The transportation upgrades weren't just for convenience either.
    With a major influx in traffic, not only do they have to keep the Interstates up to Federal standards in order to receive Federal money to upkeep them, but there are also safety issues with forcing traffic into a congested issue.

    "BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    Personally, I think the Vikings are screwing their fans by planning on building over the current site.
    Without adequate parking revenues as well as having a plan for marketing tail gating events, the fans are the ones left holding the bag!
    Sounds very screwy!
    I think we need to wait until Feb 1st when the Vikings make their stadium plans public before we start accusing Wilf of trying to screw the fans.
    Wilf is very much a proponent of old school foot ball.
    Outdoor fields and tailgating as a part of that.
    Plus he isn't stupid.
    He knows that issues like parking actually affect ticket sales.
    And the MSC, if they partner again, know that adequate parking affect other events as well up to and including the Superbowl.

    Besides, I actually like the idea of the new stadium in the city.
    But that is a post for another thread...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #28
    PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,738

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Things I see as potential show stoppers/problems before it is brought before the legislature;

    No financial partner(s)

    How to make up the loss of the $280 mil that Anoka county was going to give. (They couldn't get it done when that revenue was there)
    But they saved $270 mi in transportation costs, which they wanted from the state.
    This way, the state contribution stays the same, but the county contribution becomes negligible.
    Plus, a lot of politicians will get to see a return on investment for that light rail system in downtown Minny, and that is a good selling point for the stadium.

    "singersp" wrote:
    Parking/tailgate areas: The parking lots are quickly disappearing & with one of the main big lots closing (Rapid Park) for the building of the Twins stadium, parking & tailgating will be an issue. There are some ramps & lots now, but they are sporatically located within a mile radius of the dome.
    I see this as a problem still too, but I don't think it will be any kind of stopper in the legislature.

    "singersp" wrote:
    Traffic: Always has been a nightmare getting out of the downtown area & it will have to be addressed.
    I don't think it will.
    Again, I agree that this is a problem, but it will be no more of a problem than what we are currently facing.
    Therefore it is out of scope for the stadium bill.

    "singersp" wrote:
    Season ticket sales: Based on what I saw this past year, season tickets will take a hit this year as will the sale of regular ticket sales.
    This won't affect the legislature as much as it will affect Zygi and his pocket book.
    I think he realizes that he will have to make some of his own initial investments to ge the stadium done.
    I think he is also eying some of that expensive real estate that is going up around Washington, so he knows that the stadium is just one part of many investments.

    "singersp" wrote:
    Where to play: They are leaning towards the UM stadium while the dome is torn down & the new stadium built, but if that deal falls thru, what other options/locations do they have?
    Probably not a major issue.
    Most universities would jump at the chance to host the Vikins for 8 games.
    When Soldier field was remodeled, several colleges (including the one I was at at the time) lobbied to get the Bears there for the season.
    Heck, maybe the Vikes could come up here to Fargo for the year! That would save me quite a bit of gas! ;D

    Most likely the UoM will be fine with it.
    Plus, TCF stadium will be big enough to allow for all the season ticket holders to have a seat too...

    "singersp" wrote:
    State support: The support of the state & the local taxpayers hasn't been overwhelming & following a 6-10 record, it may become more difficult.
    This is probably the only area that I think is really a problem.
    Last year Zygi was able to generate a decent amount of excitement with the new staff, new uniforms, and new look Vikings.
    Now that that initial excitement has ebbed, we may not be able to make headway as quickly as we did last year.

    I am keeping my fingers crossed though, and I have faith in Zygi!
    Where do you buy your purple colored glasses? I need to get me a pair.

  9. #29
    BigMoInAZ's Avatar
    BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    446

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

    TY Nodak, I am familiar with Minnesota Momentum, but I wasn't aware their poll of fans was the official poll being used by the Vikings to determine all Viking Fans concerns.
    As far as the DOT upgrades, don't you think that the downtown cluster f*ck
    currently presented will also have an adverse affect with any new stadium built in that same area?
    The DOT certainly will have a monumental job of improving the downtown traffic area as is and in order to support a new stadium with hopes of hosting national events like bowl games, and college hoops, that improving that situation downtown is just as tantamount to a successful downtown location for the Vikings? Hmmmmmm??????

    Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

  10. #30
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

    "BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    Minneapolis preferred

    In the Vikings' letter, written by team vice president Lester Bagley on behalf of owner Zygi Wilf, the team said that its fans, sponsors and Twin Cities business leaders "have clearly communicated" their preference for keeping the Vikings in Minneapolis. "The Metro Dump site provides for the most cost-efficient location in Minnesota," stated the letter, also sent to Pawlenty.
    First I have to ask, does anyone remember a poll or study done by the Vikings that explicitly asked their fans for their opinions?
    Maybe there was a local newspaper poll done that wasn't used as supporting proof?
    I just don't ever remember the fans being asked squat about this issue.
    Based on everything up through last November, most fans thought the Blaine Stadium was the teams future!
    Anyone?
    Lost when the Vikings' partnership with Anoka County ended was the $280 million the county pledged toward the stadium in Blaine. However, by building on the Metro Dump site, the Vikings avoid costs for new roads, which the Minnesota Department of Transportation projected would cost up to $270 million in Blaine.
    This last part was a big issue because it was plainly stated that any new stadium built up in Blaine would require the current highways and roads to receive the needed upgrades to support the plans.
    Wasn't it also stated that the Department of Transportation was scheduled to make those very same upgrades regardless if a stadium was built in Blaine?
    Seems to me the Vikings used this as an excuse and deal killer just because the DOT wasn't scheduled to make those necessary upgrades until much later in the future?
    Someone should know!

    Personally, I think the Vikings are screwing their fans by planning on building over the current site.
    Without adequate parking revenues as well as having a plan for marketing tail gating events, the fans are the ones left holding the bag!
    Sounds very screwy!


    The already scheduled improvements in Anoka County had a cost estimate of 115 million, so there was some additional improvements beyond what they currently have scheduled.
    Plus the time table for that work would have to have been moved up which is a big issue in Minnesota right now as the state has moved back the time table on 3 or 4 major highway improvements because of lack of funding for the projects.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings: a Def. Coordinator's dream
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 01:22 AM
  2. My dream for a new stadium
    By Boyum in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 05:05 PM
  3. Vikings Dream Team starters
    By brbitker in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 03:32 PM
  4. DREAM DOVANTE, DREAM
    By simonsparre in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 11:19 PM
  5. Minnesota Vikings dream team
    By sdvikefan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 11:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •