Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings chase Stadium dream

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/945971.html

Very interesting concept of building it on the current site of the dome and they really do need the retractable roof. Looks like some huge finacial hoops to go through, but that is expected. Lets just get something done.

aceclown is offline Coach

Re: Vikings chase Stadium dream

I think its a good plan, cant wait to see the renderings.

Chuch.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i think the stlouis cardinals had a good idea when they built their new ballpark directly next to (and slightly overlapping) the old busch stadium..after the 2005 season ended, they tore down the old ballpark, and finished the new one (since the left field bleachers of the new one overlap where they old stadium was) before this past season started

this is what were also doing up here in winnipeg for our cfl team..building about 3/4 of the new stadium directly next to the current one, and after the season, tearing it down, and finishing it before the next season starts
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

at least thins is good new and means the vikes won't go to LA !
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Things I see as potential show stoppers/problems before it is brought before the legislature;

No financial partner(s)

How to make up the loss of the $280 mil that Anoka county was going to give. (They couldn't get it done when that revenue was there)

Parking/tailgate areas: The parking lots are quickly disappearing & with one of the main big lots closing (Rapid Park) for the building of the Twins stadium, parking & tailgating will be an issue. There are some ramps & lots now, but they are sporatically located within a mile radius of the dome.

Traffic: Always has been a nightmare getting out of the downtown area & it will have to be addressed.

Season ticket sales: Based on what I saw this past year, season tickets will take a hit this year as will the sale of regular ticket sales.

Where to play: They are leaning towards the UM stadium while the dome is torn down & the new stadium built, but if that deal falls thru, what other options/locations do they have?

State support: The support of the state & the local taxpayers hasn't been overwhelming & following a 6-10 record, it may become more difficult.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Please tell me I'm wrong, but does it seem to anyone else like Wilf and Co. are making only a half a$$ed effort to get this stadium deal done?......

For some reason, I have a bad feeling about the whole thing....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:

Please tell me I'm wrong, but does it seem to anyone else like Wilf and Co. are making only a half a$$ed effort to get this stadium deal done?......

I think you're totally wrong.

Wilf stepped into a situation where there were agreements in place with Blaine and Anoka County.
    He turned that into a plan for a stadium and commercial development where he personally would have invested one BILLLION dollars.
    He managed to get that proposal farther in the state legislature than Red McCombs ever did, in a year when two other stadiums were also in play.

After that initiative stalled for 2006, factors popped up with the Anoka situation (wetlands, property owners wanting more money, roof, etc.) which made it clear to the Wilfs that other alternatives should be explored.
    And so they reached out to the Metropolitan Sports Commission and now the MSC is making plans, doing studies and preparing a proposal which could go to the legislature this year.
    The Vikings also reached out to the Star-Tribune company about land surrounding the stadium site.

Meanwhile, the Wilf family, who are football fans who understand the connection a team has to the area where it lives, have said all the right things about keeping the team here.
    It is only outside speculative sources who have pondered moves to LA because they are searching for something to write.

So, yes, I think you're wrong and the Vikings will be playing here for years and years to come.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:

I think you're totally wrong.

Wilf stepped into a situation where there were agreements in place with Blaine and Anoka County.
    He turned that into a plan for a stadium and commercial development where he personally would have invested one BILLLION dollars.
    He managed to get that proposal farther in the state legislature than Red McCombs ever did, in a year when two other stadiums were also in play.

After that initiative stalled for 2006, factors popped up with the Anoka situation (wetlands, property owners wanting more money, roof, etc.) which made it clear to the Wilfs that other alternatives should be explored.
    And so they reached out to the Metropolitan Sports Commission and now the MSC is making plans, doing studies and preparing a proposal which could go to the legislature this year.
    The Vikings also reached out to the Star-Tribune company about land surrounding the stadium site.

Meanwhile, the Wilf family, who are football fans who understand the connection a team has to the area where it lives, have said all the right things about keeping the team here.
    It is only outside speculative sources who have pondered moves to LA because they are searching for something to write.

So, yes, I think you're wrong and the Vikings will be playing here for years and years to come.

=Z=
    Well, thanks for the reply Zeus, and for us all, I hope your correct with your vision.

Maybe I'm still suffering from the hangover Red gave me over the years on this issue or lack of issue..

I really do hope we get our new stadium in the future.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

My first trip to a game in a while resulted in a urine-wading experience in the halls of the metrodump...right in front of Zygi's suite.
    There is no doubt he's pushing hard for a stadium.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast