Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings' Center Lineman

John Sullivan, the starting center for the Minnesota Vikings, will likely sit out Thursday's season opener against the Saints. As I see it, the Vikings have three options (in order of most likely to happen) :

1. Play starting guard Anthony Herrera at center and start rookie Chris DeGeare at guard.
    Pros: Herrera took many snaps at center in the preseason and did a good job.
    Cons: Rookie DeGeare is very raw and struggled in the preseason. I'd much rather have Herrera at guard than Degeare, plus this option involves two position changes.

2. Play backup John Cooper at center.
    Pros: This option involves only one position change, and Cooper knows the system.
    Cons: I don't know if John Cooper is ready to take on the tole as the starting center. I've never seen him really play.

3. Play Ryan Cook at center.
    Pros: As with option 2, this involves only one position change. Ryan Cook was the starting center in his college years. He switched to right tackle in the NFL and mainly struggled with the reaction to the ball snap which resulted in many penalties. This would be completely resolved if he moves over to center because he'll have completely control over the snap, just like his college years.
    Cons: I have never seen Ryan Cook play center in the NFL, and the coaches seem to know something that we don't know.

You can read more about the Vikings' options at Vikings Blog: Who's the Man in the Middle for Thursday?.

I find it strange that Ryan Cook's name is not even mentioned in the article above. :huh:

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings' Center Lineman

I think I saw it on TV Sunday, FSNO, that Herrera was going to start at center.
    At any rate, I have little confidence in this patchwork line.I'm not that thrilled with Sullivan anyway, so maybe it won't make much difference.
    Sure would like to see some run blocking to get AD going.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

jargomcfargo wrote:
    At any rate, I have little confidence in this patchwork line.I'm not that thrilled with Sullivan anyway, so maybe it won't make much difference.
    I heard this morning that Sullivan is going to play.

So - basically - I think this means that we won't know until gametime what's actually going to happen.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Erinnn is offline Starter

Zeus wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    I heard this morning that Sullivan is going to play.

So - basically - I think this means that we won't know until gametime what's actually going to happen.

=Z=
    It's a fluid situation.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

From what I observed during the preseason games, Cooper did fine. Atleast better than Degeare did at G.

I would opt for playing the "Backup Center" (Cooper) and make only one position change if Sully doesn't go, however, like it was mentioned in a previous post, all indications are that Sully made it through the practice "Loading" that the coaches wanted to see and will go.

With Hargrove being dinged, they only have 2 DT's (thier starters) with no one to rotate in and out. the pressure will come from the outside (if it comes at all).

All we have to do in knullify Smith (13 Sacks last year) and Wilkerson (6 Sacks last year) and there will be no pressure, especially if Vilma (Groin) can't go.

Besides, AD gashing them on a consistent basis means that the Noodle won't get touched at all as AD will be carrying the load.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

With Sully coming back, Herrera will be back at LG, and both Anthony and Hutch are back 100% healthy, I expect 25+ rushes for Adrian. First game of the year, and we are going to run the ball, set a physical tone, and control the clock. I think our depth is fine.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Well Sully hasn't been ruled out so until then I go with him

If he can't I want to see Herrera and Degeare take it on

I want to see what Degeare is made of

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

V4L wrote:
    Well Sully hasn't been ruled out so until then I go with him

If he can't I want to see Herrera and Degeare take it on

I want to see what Degeare is made of
    I don't think it's time to test a rookie. Send Cooper in.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

All signs are pointing to Sully getting the start. I'd be very happy if he starts, then maybe get degeare's feet wet a little bit in the game, rotating him with Herrera. If Sully can't start, then Cooper should start.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

12purplepride28 wrote:
    All signs are pointing to Sully getting the start. I'd be very happy if he starts, then maybe get degeare's feet wet a little bit in the game, rotating him with Herrera. If Sully can't start, then Cooper should start.
    Quick question....Why rotate Degeare?

In the Zone Blocking scheme, familiarity of who will disengage and move on to the next time and the timing of it all is very important, especially for the back as he sets for his cut.

Moving a G in and out would mess that up/compound the problem of Sully missing reps, I think.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast