Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings' burning question:Should we buy into the hype?

"Garland" wrote:
    peopel also have to remember tha this is one of the better offseasons that we have had in a while. We have had some glaring needs and the Vikes FO really out did their selves in addressing most(Not all ) of those issues.
    I've been thinking that this off season has a chance to go down as the best ever!!
    IF, Jared Allen stays clean and delivers double digit sacks every year, Madieu stays healthy and provides the "range and coverage" that we need in the secondary, Berrian becomes a true go to, reliable deep threat at WR, and most of the draft picks (especially Tyrell "Tornado" Johnson!) work out too.

I mean really, can anyone remember an offseason like this in the history of the Vikes?
    Where we addressed all our major needs with top end talent...I certainly don't think it happened during the McDick era!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings' burning question:Should we by into the hype?

"pack93z" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    It will be interesting to see how it all plays out... talent wise you should be right up there, the million dollar question is can the coaching staff conduct the pieces into a team that can win over the course of a season.. with the ups and the downs..

I assume that TJ will have an improved year and you have enough on the outsides of the offense to balance it out.. really in my eyes it comes down to Bevell and Chilly... can they make it roll.

I should point out that I still see your passing defense as a weakness.. but a well tuned offense can minimize that a great deal.
    How so?

Sure ball control will limit the touches but I think in the long run it will eqaute to more passing by the other teams......

Say for instance our offense is better, we sustain more drives and score more points.
    That in of itself would make a rational man believe the Vikes will be ahead and the other team would be behind.

Based on score (how far are we ahead) and time left on the clock, I would think at some point we will see teams trying to catch up which in my mind equates to passing and not running.

Now, because we run a Cover 2 which is almost a version of a prevent D at times, we will still give up yards in the short passing game in an effort to force teams to work to get down the field instead of giving up the big play.

Long story short, improved offense equates to more passing by other teams in my book.

;D
    That is one approach.. but don't over discount the impact of reduction in overall plays from scrimmage.. the way I look at it is this, to attack the Vikes defense you have little choice early on other than to pass on them and play the ball possession game. You have to keep the Williams boys on the field and wear them down if you want to be effective running the ball on them. You play ball control against them.. maybe it is the short passing game an chipping away.. but you have to keep them on the field. Personally I think it is flipped when playing the Vikes.. pass early and often.. loosen that front up then run the rock at them. Especially with the matador in Sharper as a tackler.

One thing the Vikes aren't on the defensive side of the ball up front.. that is deep..

Back to your point.. I think it is vital for the Vikes to win the battle of ball control.. limit the number of strikes a team has at that secondary..
    Especially with the matador in Sharper as a tackler.
    Be carefull.
    Some people on here think he can do no wrong..... ;D

I like the way you are thinking with respect to attacking us with the short passing game as it has worked in the past.
    Problem is, now that we have a percieved threat on the edge (JA) our LB's can be more active in that area.

It is amazing what a LB dropping back into that short (5-10yd Zone) will do to the short slant type passes we haven't been able to stop before.

Me thinks we will be a bit better in that area and teams won't be able to sustain long drives that way.

As to our secondary, even with Sharper in there trying to freelance, they aren't as much of a concern to me as our DT's are.
    Kevin needs to prove that he can collapse the pocket so that the QB can't just step up and avoid the rush from the edges.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Quick answer:
    Why not?
    It's the OFFSEASON...let's enjoy the daydreaming before the reality kicks in.

If the reality becomes what we daydream, then we will be in for one heck of a season.

If not, then at least we will have been happy in the offseason.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

"To Buy into the Hype? Or not To buy into the hype??? I would say yeah for the moment "NO" that buying into such sweet hype can be as poisonious as a Rattlesnake. I would say Yes. There is a a very Solid team here. I await the actual Season with great anxiety, and hope.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123