Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings' burning question:Should we by into the hype?

"pack93z" wrote:
    It will be interesting to see how it all plays out... talent wise you should be right up there, the million dollar question is can the coaching staff conduct the pieces into a team that can win over the course of a season.. with the ups and the downs..

I assume that TJ will have an improved year and you have enough on the outsides of the offense to balance it out.. really in my eyes it comes down to Bevell and Chilly... can they make it roll.

I should point out that I still see your passing defense as a weakness.. but a well tuned offense can minimize that a great deal.
    How so?

Sure ball control will limit the touches but I think in the long run it will eqaute to more passing by the other teams......

Say for instance our offense is better, we sustain more drives and score more points.
    That in of itself would make a rational man believe the Vikes will be ahead and the other team would be behind.

Based on score (how far are we ahead) and time left on the clock, I would think at some point we will see teams trying to catch up which in my mind equates to passing and not running.

Now, because we run a Cover 2 which is almost a version of a prevent D at times, we will still give up yards in the short passing game in an effort to force teams to work to get down the field instead of giving up the big play.

Long story short, improved offense equates to more passing by other teams in my book.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

This offseason on purplepride reminds me of all those we had with Culpepper and Moss on the team.
    There seems to be a lot of fan confidence and expectations (almost to a fault).
    I'm happy with the moves we made, but until I see us winning game I'm not proclaiming anything other than we look great on paper and SHOULD win the NFC North.
    But as a Vikings fan, I should know better than to think that what we SHOULD do and what we WILL do are the same...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    It will be interesting to see how it all plays out... talent wise you should be right up there, the million dollar question is can the coaching staff conduct the pieces into a team that can win over the course of a season.. with the ups and the downs..

I assume that TJ will have an improved year and you have enough on the outsides of the offense to balance it out.. really in my eyes it comes down to Bevell and Chilly... can they make it roll.

I should point out that I still see your passing defense as a weakness.. but a well tuned offense can minimize that a great deal.
    You might want to take a closer look at our passing defense.
    Sometimes the only stat people look at is yards per game.
    yards per attempt is more telling, as is points.
    In both we were in the middle of the pack.
    To tell you the truth.. I didn't look at the stats.. instead I am relying on more of what I seen in terms of the Vikes play. Will Williams solve all the issues at safety.. can't play both sides at once.. it might be convenient to dump all the blame on those no longer there.. but Sharper is still back there with his showboating and gambling nature.. I wonder what the ratio of his big plays to the number he gives up really is.

At corner.. I think they are improving, but still are the overall weakest link on the defense.

Again.. I don't think they are subpar.. but they are far from elite in terms of passing defense, IMO. That said, I think plays can be had on the backend of this defense.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I have to say that this was by far one of the best articles I read about the Vikings so far this off season. Pretty much honest about everything. He was pretty straight forward about TJack and his preformance up to this point. that sounds familiar by someone : And about the play of our defense and how we have improved it and where we may still have some holes on the team. Do I expect nothing less than a Super Bowl this year? No Do I want them to go HELL YES!. But this team is in a spot to make a very good run over the next few years and I expect the to get there and stay there based on what they have done overall.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:

How so?

Sure ball control will limit the touches but I think in the long run it will eqaute to more passing by the other teams......

Say for instance our offense is better, we sustain more drives and score more points.
    That in of itself would make a rational man believe the Vikes will be ahead and the other team would be behind.

Based on score (how far are we ahead) and time left on the clock, I would think at some point we will see teams trying to catch up which in my mind equates to passing and not running.

Now, because we run a Cover 2 which is almost a version of a prevent D at times, we will still give up yards in the short passing game in an effort to force teams to work to get down the field instead of giving up the big play.

Long story short, improved offense equates to more passing by other teams in my book.

;D
    That is one approach.. but don't over discount the impact of reduction in overall plays from scrimmage.. the way I look at it is this, to attack the Vikes defense you have little choice early on other than to pass on them and play the ball possession game. You have to keep the Williams boys on the field and wear them down if you want to be effective running the ball on them. You play ball control against them.. maybe it is the short passing game an chipping away.. but you have to keep them on the field. Personally I think it is flipped when playing the Vikes.. pass early and often.. loosen that front up then run the rock at them. Especially with the matador in Sharper as a tackler.

One thing the Vikes aren't on the defensive side of the ball up front.. that is deep..

Back to your point.. I think it is vital for the Vikes to win the battle of ball control.. limit the number of strikes a team has at that secondary..

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"C" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    I love realistic articles.

I won't demand a superbowl this year, all i long for is improvement as a team overall but especially improvement from our QB. If you have improvement you can always compete for a superbowl.
    You may have missed this in my past posts... but we're beating the Colts in the Super Bowl this year.

I had a premonition.

I like it C mac D gimme a plus 1.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Wow!
    Great Article!!
    Very up front and seemingly unbiased.
    ;D

OMG!
    I'm about to agree with a Packer fan

But, I got to say, that our offense's ability to stay on the field greatly effected the number of pass plays (or any other for that matter) that our defense had to defend last year.
    Way too many 3 and outs!
    That coupled with the fact teams aren't even trying to run on us anymore leads to lots and lots and more pass reps and eventually, everybody gets beat.
    I like your logic on the passing to catch up idea, but still think the oppurtunities will be limited.
    How often do we see our defense play great and hold strong in the 1st and 3rd Qs, but tire out in the 2nd and 4th?

As for Sharper, I only remember a few Fups from this past year...not sure about that ratio, but it would be a nice one to look at for any DB I suspect...

IMHO, our CBs are vastly underrated!
    As Nodak Paul pointed out, in the stats that matter (points!) we're not that bad.
    MacCauley and Griffin are young and have both seen a bunch of shit directed their way, and really, haven't been beat all that often.
    I'm pretty sure another year of experience and improved pass rush is going to allow these guys to really shine.
    In fact, I think there's a chance that Winfield is the Nickel back by season's end...he's been a favorite, no disrespect!
    But he's been dinged up the past year or two and it seems to have effected his play at times.
    By season's end, I think the league will be talking about our secondary as one of the best as the reps go down and the pass rush minimizes the time they have to cover for.

LOL!!
    I saw that on Colbert too!
    I'm pretty sure that the Colts would be favored against the Vikes, and getting an underdog victory in the Superbowl like that would be pretty Fn Sweet!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Actually, I don't see any hype at all, to me, it's a fact that we are going to be a better team and we are going to be feared by all in a short amount of time, once the real season starts and we get those Wins rolling in....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Nice article one thing he's worried about more than me is that CB spot opposite of Winfield. I think Grifin is gonna be a great player for us and showed good promise. When he was beat last year it was minimal on perfect passes by the QB. He'll be in his third season and I look for a big year out of the Longhorn. Rice is a guy he mentions but just as a Redzone threat, this guy can make plays all over the field and especailly in the redzone. I understand everyones worries about Tarvaris and his improvements but I have no worries at the QB position, granted Ferotte isn't an all-star he would definitly be capable of winning games for us.

Last year on our 5 game winning streak I started thinking highly of Childress because I was seeing his plans in action, what it was all about and how he wants to do it. In order to sustain those types of streaks we got to stay healthy and improve in all aspects. Last year we should have been at least 9-7 if not 10-6, it was that close. Having Winfield and Rice hurt the last two games hurt us more than fans realize, especailly Rice because Tarvaris was left with backup WR's as his primary targets. He needed Rice in the Redskin games and the Denver game. Basically Rice's injury gave Troy his last opportunity and we all know what happened.

IMO we should go to playoffs easy, no questions asked if we don't I'll consider the season a complete failer and a possible coaching change, but it isn't gonna happen. When I look at the other teams in the NFC there's nobody we can't beat. We should be going to SB but this is just my expectations for this team. Adding Jared Allen was icing on the cake, he's a specail player that brings so much to this team not only on the field but in the locker room and off the field. The moral is very high right now the players understand what is being built, we're planning to win more than one SB. If we can't make it this year next year should look even better.

Anytime your ranked #1 at running and stopping the run this automaticly gives you a major chance for sucess. Another thing I would like to see is more production from the specail teams unit, I'm exited about getting a guy like Jaymar who's a threat. We want to score on all three units and if we do we will be leaving teams in the dust. Adrian Peterson is another reason for my confidence in this team, he's literally a beast with a winning attitude. For some fans these type of expectations are not welcomed but its understandable we've been picked before and his hasn't went as expected. IMO it was anomoly with our explosive offesne. In the Childress era we plan on developing all three units to high levels.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings' burning question:Should we buy into the hype?

peopel also have to remember tha this is one of the better offseasons that we have had in a while. We have had some glaring needs and the Vikes FO really out did their selves in addressing most(Not all ) of those issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast