Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Here's a list of some of his stellar draft picks since joining the team in 2006. I removed successful players, which were only about 4-5... which is pathetic.

Christian Ballard
    Brandon Burton
    Brandon Fusco
    Stephen Burton
    Chris Cook
    Chris DeGeare
    Nathan Triplett
    Mickey Shuler, Jr.
    Ryan D'Imperio
    Phil Loadholt
    Asher Allen
    Jamarca Sanford
    Tyrell Johnson
    John Booty
    John Sullivan
    Jaymar Johnson
    Sidney Rice
    Marcus McCauley
    Aundrae Allison
    Rufus Alexander
    Tyler Thigpen
    Chandler Williams
    Cedric Griffin
    Ryan Cook
    Tarvaris Jackson
    Greg Blue
    Here is a complete list of players we have obtained via draft picks (either selected or traded) from 2006-2010. I left 2011 off because one year is not enough time to adequately evaluate (2010 is pushing it IMHO). I highlighted the ones that I feel had good value relative to the draft pick spent.

There were 35 players taken, and out of them, I highlighted 11 players. That is over 30% success in the draft. There may be a couple of players who some may disagree with, such as Loadholt and Cook. But even if you remove them we are still at a 25+% success rate.

Overall I feel like we draft pretty much as well as most other teams. Some years will be good, some won't. But overall it averages out pretty well.

CHAD GREENWAY
    CEDRIC GRIFFIN
    RYAN COOK
    TARVARIS JACKSON
    Artis Hicks (Trade)
    RAY EDWARDS
    GREG BLUE
    Toniu Fonoti (trade)

ADRIAN PETERSON
    SIDNEY RICE
    MARCUS McCAULEY
    BRIAN ROBISON
    AUNDRAE ALLISON
    RUFUS ALEXANDER
    TYLER THIGPEN
    CHANDLER WILLIAMS

Jared Allen (trade)
    TYRELL JOHNSON
    JOHN DAVID BOOTY
    LETROY GUION
    JOHN SULLIVAN
    JAYMAR JOHNSON

PERCY HARVIN
    PHIL LOADHOLT
    ASHER ALLEN
    JASPER BRINKLEY
    JAMARCA SANFORD

CHRIS COOK
    TOBY GERHART
    EVERSON GRIFFEN
    CHRIS DEGEARE
    NATE TRIPLETT
    JOE WEBB
    MICKEY SHULER
    RYAN D'IMPERIO
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Here is a complete list of players we have obtained via draft picks (either selected or traded) from 2006-2010. I left 2011 off because one year is not enough time to adequately evaluate (2010 is pushing it IMHO). I highlighted the ones that I feel had good value relative to the draft pick spent.

There were 35 players taken, and out of them, I highlighted 11 players. That is over 30% success in the draft. There may be a couple of players who some may disagree with, such as Loadholt and Cook. But even if you remove them we are still at a 25+% success rate.

Overall I feel like we draft pretty much as well as most other teams. Some years will be good, some won't. But overall it averages out pretty well.

CHAD GREENWAY
    CEDRIC GRIFFIN
    RYAN COOK
    TARVARIS JACKSON
    Artis Hicks (Trade)
    RAY EDWARDS
    GREG BLUE
    Toniu Fonoti (trade)

ADRIAN PETERSON
    SIDNEY RICE
    MARCUS McCAULEY
    BRIAN ROBISON
    AUNDRAE ALLISON
    RUFUS ALEXANDER
    TYLER THIGPEN
    CHANDLER WILLIAMS

Jared Allen (trade)
    TYRELL JOHNSON
    JOHN DAVID BOOTY
    LETROY GUION
    JOHN SULLIVAN
    JAYMAR JOHNSON

PERCY HARVIN
    PHIL LOADHOLT
    ASHER ALLEN
    JASPER BRINKLEY
    JAMARCA SANFORD

CHRIS COOK
    TOBY GERHART
    EVERSON GRIFFEN
    CHRIS DEGEARE
    NATE TRIPLETT
    JOE WEBB
    MICKEY SHULER
    RYAN D'IMPERIO
    I would say this is pretty accurate. I may add one or subtract one here or there, but we all have our opinions.

Everyone remembers the poor choices, and everyone remembers the bad choices.

I would like to see us hit on a few more mid to late round picks. I guess in my mind we do not do as well there as I think we should. I think there is more time for some of these players to develop though, so for now I will reserve those types of opinions to the great football minds who are members of PPO.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Though I think it is silly to bring in Luck and RG3 as well, I do like the fact that we are planning in case they do not go 1&2.

However, we all know they will go 1&2, so is Spielman thinking about trading up to get one of them? That would take way to much in my opinion.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

CHAD GREENWAY
    CEDRIC GRIFFIN
    RYAN COOK
    TARVARIS JACKSON
    Artis Hicks (Trade)
    RAY EDWARDS
    GREG BLUE
    Toniu Fonoti (trade)

ADRIAN PETERSON
    SIDNEY RICE
    MARCUS McCAULEY
    BRIAN ROBISON
    AUNDRAE ALLISON
    RUFUS ALEXANDER
    TYLER THIGPEN
    CHANDLER WILLIAMS

Jared Allen (trade)
    TYRELL JOHNSON
    JOHN DAVID BOOTY
    LETROY GUION
    JOHN SULLIVAN
    JAYMAR JOHNSON

PERCY HARVIN
    PHIL LOADHOLT
    ASHER ALLEN
    JASPER BRINKLEY
    JAMARCA SANFORD

CHRIS COOK
    TOBY GERHART
    EVERSON GRIFFEN
    CHRIS DEGEARE
    NATE TRIPLETT
    JOE WEBB
    MICKEY SHULER
    RYAN D'IMPERIO
    I'd say good teams with good scouting usually happen to come across talent in the 4th round or later... name one Vikings starter that was taken in the 4rth round or later since 2006... Brian Robison is the only one. Most teams have more success than that... not to mentioned you have Jared Allen listed as a successful use of a draft pick. That was a no-brainer, he led the league in sacks the year before he was traded. You failed to throw in the Moss trade, Hank Baskett trade, Greg Camarillo trade... all of them were failures.

Again, think what you will, but Spielman is making us into the Lions of old. We will be the laughing stock of the NFCN for years to come. Trust me on this.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

CHAD GREENWAY
    CEDRIC GRIFFIN
    RYAN COOK
    TARVARIS JACKSON
    Artis Hicks (Trade)
    RAY EDWARDS
    GREG BLUE
    Toniu Fonoti (trade)

ADRIAN PETERSON
    SIDNEY RICE
    MARCUS McCAULEY
    BRIAN ROBISON
    AUNDRAE ALLISON
    RUFUS ALEXANDER
    TYLER THIGPEN
    CHANDLER WILLIAMS

Jared Allen (trade)
    TYRELL JOHNSON
    JOHN DAVID BOOTY
    LETROY GUION
    JOHN SULLIVAN
    JAYMAR JOHNSON

PERCY HARVIN
    PHIL LOADHOLT
    ASHER ALLEN
    JASPER BRINKLEY
    JAMARCA SANFORD

CHRIS COOK
    TOBY GERHART
    EVERSON GRIFFEN
    CHRIS DEGEARE
    NATE TRIPLETT
    JOE WEBB
    MICKEY SHULER
    RYAN D'IMPERIO
    That looks about right to me.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

TNViking is offline Starter
    Agree with the smokescreen theory.

This is just a way of trying to make teams think we are interested in a QB so maybe CLE or MIA will trade up for Tanehill and we can get a bunch of picks (and still get a OT like Kalil or Reiff.) Don't think it will work but, hey, it's worth a try.
    Last edited by TNViking; 04-11-2012 at 03:54 PM.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    No, this is a GM doing his job. He has an opportunity to evaluate very closely 30 players, per the Rules. Many of these evaluations are not for this Draft, rather, they are merely part of a due diligence process, because, down the line, you may have an opportunity to trade for some of these guys.

I am not the Author of this explanation...just passing on this point made by both Pat Kirwan and Bill Polian, former GMs, on Sirius NFL Radio. Both actually did the same thing, and, gave examples of players they brought in, didn't draft, and traded for later.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    That makes sense maxvike.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

CHAD GREENWAY
    CEDRIC GRIFFIN
    RYAN COOK
    TARVARIS JACKSON
    Artis Hicks (Trade)
    RAY EDWARDS
    GREG BLUE
    Toniu Fonoti (trade)

ADRIAN PETERSON
    SIDNEY RICE
    MARCUS McCAULEY
    BRIAN ROBISON
    AUNDRAE ALLISON
    RUFUS ALEXANDER
    TYLER THIGPEN
    CHANDLER WILLIAMS

Jared Allen (trade)
    TYRELL JOHNSON
    JOHN DAVID BOOTY
    LETROY GUION
    JOHN SULLIVAN
    JAYMAR JOHNSON

PERCY HARVIN
    PHIL LOADHOLT
    ASHER ALLEN
    JASPER BRINKLEY
    JAMARCA SANFORD

CHRIS COOK
    TOBY GERHART
    EVERSON GRIFFEN
    CHRIS DEGEARE
    NATE TRIPLETT
    JOE WEBB
    MICKEY SHULER
    RYAN D'IMPERIO
    Chris Cook, IMO, is too early to include in that list since he has played less games than many of the draft class of 2011 that you purposely omitted.

Loadholt is another one I'd remove from the list. His play for a 2nd round pick has been mediocre & his knack for being flagged even worse.

If you listen to the masses here, they would probably also remove the following 2 players;

Rice: "Mr. One Season" who many fans here claimed only looked good because of Brett Favre.

Edwards: Who many fans here claimed was mediocre & only had good stats because of K-Will, P-Will & JA & needed to keep his pie hole shut.

Removing those 4 puts us at 7 out of 34 or 20%.

Lets say for argument sake that we only remove Loadholt & Cook & use your 25% success rate. Now, while that may look OK, what's important is how many of those 9 remaining players were we able to retain.

4 of those 9 are no longer with the team, meaning only 5 good players out of those 35 or 14% of them are still with the team.

5 players in 5 years doesn't seem that good to me.

For those proponents of us "building thru the draft" & not thru FA, at that rate, how many years will it take us to rebuild & be a competitive team once again if we don't sign anyone good during FA & continue to sign no name players for 1 year deals from the FA foreclosure pool?
    Last edited by singersp; 04-12-2012 at 07:28 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I'd say good teams with good scouting usually happen to come across talent in the 4th round or later... name one Vikings starter that was taken in the 4rth round or later since 2006... Brian Robison is the only one. Most teams have more success than that... not to mentioned you have Jared Allen listed as a successful use of a draft pick. That was a no-brainer, he led the league in sacks the year before he was traded. You failed to throw in the Moss trade, Hank Baskett trade, Greg Camarillo trade... all of them were failures.

Again, think what you will, but Spielman is making us into the Lions of old. We will be the laughing stock of the NFCN for years to come. Trust me on this.
    Sullivan. JA wasn't a no-brainier for the price we paid.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast