Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    vikesfargo's Avatar
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    600

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    Our defense has inexperienced players at DE, RCB, nickel DB, and LB (Greenway). We have two safeties who remain excellent but are just starting to show their age. We don't have a defense right now that can just step on the field and totally intimidate the other team. For now we rely on deception and pressure. Frazier is doing a good job making the most of our defense, with the possible exception of the second GB game. I still think adding more delayed blitzes would help. Also, one of the DTs needs to stay home to prevent step-ups and scrambles.


    Go Vikings!

  2. #12
    MNgriff's Avatar
    MNgriff is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    148

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Did you read the whole article.
    Seems to echo exactly what I have been saying in numerous threads over the past few weeks........


    "singersp" wrote:
    Eleven regular-season games and six months later, Frazier has shown a clear willingness to adjust.
    The keys have been different looks up front, blitzes and man-to-man coverages mixed with the zone scheme that comes from the Tampa-2 philosophy Minnesota considers its base defense. Now the Tampa-2 is in use less than 50 percent of the time.

    Frazier admits he has found a happy medium
    Frazier's in-season adjustments aren't going to stop opponents from throwing the ball -- especially with veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield (hamstring) having missed three of the past four games -- but it can certainly slow teams down.

    What's this Marrdro? Are my eyes decieving me?
    :P
    Nope they aren't however, you left off the most important para from the article......

    "Having to bring five and six guys, it puts a lot more pressure on your secondary," Frazier said at the time. "If opponents pick it up, they have a chance to have some explosive plays, stay on the field and put your offense in a tough position."
    Isn't that what is really happening when we face teams with Veteran QB's who can make the proper reads, audibles and hit the hot reads in the middle, slants and seams?
    ???

    All I have been saying is that they haven't changed the scheme but have been using more of the LB's blitz package to make up for the lack of pressure on the DL.
    That is not a scheme change my friends.


    IT IS A FRICKEN BANDAID THAT WILL GET EXPOSED AGAIN........
    ;D
    ;D

    Lets hope Kitna and the coaches staff over there in Kitty land don't handle the pressure the way Lord Favreeeee did or you guys will be calling the coaching staff idiots again.
    ;D

    Frazier's in-season adjustments aren't going to stop opponents from throwing the ball -- especially with veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield (hamstring) having missed three of the past four games -- but it can certainly slow teams down. Part of the problem with the Green Bay game was Frazier knew veteran quarterback Brett Favre would be able to handle any changeups thrown at him.
    Good stuff mar and I agree with you. The blitz in the packers game created good pressure but every time favre was able to get the ball out a split second before he'd be hit. Just tearing the D apart. Then on the few bad throws the vikes couldn't capitalize on opportunities. There were a few missed Ints. The TD in the endzone where griff and sharp collided was the story of the game. That being said Kitna holds the ball way too long so vikes should be able to apply pressure and create opportunities. Now if the vikes can just execute on those chances we're made in the shade. Still mar is right. Against good QBs the vikes have to find a way to get consistent pressure with the front 4. If they can't then any good qb will pick them apart, being forced to blitz to apply pressure will only make it worse.
    Skol

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    "Schutz" wrote:
    Mar on the DT coverage thing I don't disagree with you that we should be doing it, but I was just pointing out I don't wan't PAT WILLIAMS doing it.
    I would be more than fine if Kevin "Sticky Hands" Williams was doing a little coverage here and there.
    Acutally if our secondary keeps getting beat I do believe we should take a look at Kevin at CB.
    I agree on the need for some help at CB my friend but believe our guys are getting better, remembering that they are very young.

    But I also think that we really need a DE that can scare the hell out of the Tackles.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Mar on the DT coverage thing I don't disagree with you that we should be doing it, but I was just pointing out I don't wan't PAT WILLIAMS doing it.
    I would be more than fine if Kevin "Sticky Hands" Williams was doing a little coverage here and there.
    Acutally if our secondary keeps getting beat I do believe we should take a look at Kevin at CB.
    I agree on the need for some help at CB my friend but believe our guys are getting better, remembering that they are very young.

    But I also think that we really need a DE that can scare the hell out of the Tackles.
    Terrell Suggs
    ;D

  5. #15
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    Our defense has inexperienced players at DE, RCB, nickel DB, and LB (Greenway). We have two safeties who remain excellent but are just starting to show their age. We don't have a defense right now that can just step on the field and totally intimidate the other team. For now we rely on deception and pressure. Frazier is doing a good job making the most of our defense, with the possible exception of the second GB game. I still think adding more delayed blitzes would help. Also, one of the DTs needs to stay home to prevent step-ups and scrambles.
    You my friend are right on target.

    Very nice post indeed.


    Actually, this whole thread has alot of good input from all.....
    Isn't this so much better to talk football than to rant on about firing somebody.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Mar on the DT coverage thing I don't disagree with you that we should be doing it, but I was just pointing out I don't wan't PAT WILLIAMS doing it.
    I would be more than fine if Kevin "Sticky Hands" Williams was doing a little coverage here and there.
    Acutally if our secondary keeps getting beat I do believe we should take a look at Kevin at CB.
    I agree on the need for some help at CB my friend but believe our guys are getting better, remembering that they are very young.

    But I also think that we really need a DE that can scare the hell out of the Tackles.
    Terrell Suggs
    ;D
    I had that guy way up on my draft board the year he came out.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    MNgriff's Avatar
    MNgriff is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    148

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    Our defense has inexperienced players at DE, RCB, nickel DB, and LB (Greenway). We have two safeties who remain excellent but are just starting to show their age. We don't have a defense right now that can just step on the field and totally intimidate the other team. For now we rely on deception and pressure. Frazier is doing a good job making the most of our defense, with the possible exception of the second GB game. I still think adding more delayed blitzes would help. Also, one of the DTs needs to stay home to prevent step-ups and scrambles.
    You my friend are right on target.

    Very nice post indeed.


    Actually, this whole thread has alot of good input from all.....
    Isn't this so much better to talk football than to rant on about firing somebody.
    ;D
    Good point bro. I may just have to eat crow and change my sig if he keeps it up. Anyone know what the FA market looks like for DEs? Or would you feel that would be the wrong move to make and should instead focus on developing the talent we have?
    Skol

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    "MNgriff" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    Our defense has inexperienced players at DE, RCB, nickel DB, and LB (Greenway). We have two safeties who remain excellent but are just starting to show their age. We don't have a defense right now that can just step on the field and totally intimidate the other team. For now we rely on deception and pressure. Frazier is doing a good job making the most of our defense, with the possible exception of the second GB game. I still think adding more delayed blitzes would help. Also, one of the DTs needs to stay home to prevent step-ups and scrambles.
    You my friend are right on target.

    Very nice post indeed.



    Actually, this whole thread has alot of good input from all.....
    Isn't this so much better to talk football than to rant on about firing somebody.

    ;D
    Good point bro. I may just have to eat crow and change my sig if he keeps it up. Anyone know what the FA market looks like for DEs? Or would you feel that would be the wrong move to make and should instead focus on developing the talent we have?
    Here is the site I've been using lately.

    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/...eagentsDL.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Did you read the whole article.
    Seems to echo exactly what I have been saying in numerous threads over the past few weeks........


    "singersp" wrote:
    Eleven regular-season games and six months later, Frazier has shown a clear willingness to adjust.
    The keys have been different looks up front, blitzes and man-to-man coverages mixed with the zone scheme that comes from the Tampa-2 philosophy Minnesota considers its base defense. Now the Tampa-2 is in use less than 50 percent of the time.

    Frazier admits he has found a happy medium
    Frazier's in-season adjustments aren't going to stop opponents from throwing the ball -- especially with veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield (hamstring) having missed three of the past four games -- but it can certainly slow teams down.

    What's this Marrdro? Are my eyes decieving me?
    :P
    Nope they aren't however, you left off the most important para from the article......

    "Having to bring five and six guys, it puts a lot more pressure on your secondary," Frazier said at the time. "If opponents pick it up, they have a chance to have some explosive plays, stay on the field and put your offense in a tough position."
    Isn't that what is really happening when we face teams with Veteran QB's who can make the proper reads, audibles and hit the hot reads in the middle, slants and seams?

    ???

    All I have been saying is that they haven't changed the scheme but have been using more of the LB's blitz package to make up for the lack of pressure on the DL.
    That is not a scheme change my friends.


    IT IS A FRICKEN BANDAID THAT WILL GET EXPOSED AGAIN........
    ;D
    ;D

    Lets hope Kitna and the coaches staff over there in Kitty land don't handle the pressure the way Lord Favreeeee did or you guys will be calling the coaching staff idiots again.

    ;D

    Frazier's in-season adjustments aren't going to stop opponents from throwing the ball -- especially with veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield (hamstring) having missed three of the past four games -- but it can certainly slow teams down. Part of the problem with the Green Bay game was Frazier knew veteran quarterback Brett Favre would be able to handle any changeups thrown at him.
    LOL! Took you long enough?

    Why is it when I keep saying adjustments & tweaks, you cite me as saying changes?

    :P

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #20
    Rambro's Avatar
    Rambro is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    128

    Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

    I refuse to believe Farve played that well against us in that blowout loss... *points to Ruvell Martin TD*
    I blame it on the players losing faith in Childress after the Williamson gamecheck thing, and the corners not being physical enough and getting beat on slants and go's, because that's all the Packers ever throw.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do our players match-up with WCO philosophy?
    By bsmithberkley in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 10:14 AM
  2. New Philosophy
    By VikingMike in forum Two Beer Minimum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 08:21 PM
  3. Vikings Facing Blitzing Conundrum
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 01:27 AM
  4. Blitzing the Packers
    By sdvikefan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 10:26 AM
  5. And my philosophy was right
    By VikingsTw in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 12:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •