Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

[size=13pt]Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you[/size]

Putting more pressure on opposing QBs can be risky, but the payoff can be substantial.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: November 28, 2007 – 12:01 AM

Sitting in his Winter Park office last spring, new Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said he hoped to call fewer blitzes than his predecessor, Mike Tomlin...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings' blitzing philosophy: Get them before they get you

Eleven regular-season games and six months later, Frazier has shown a clear willingness to adjust.
    The keys have been different looks up front, blitzes and man-to-man coverages mixed with the zone scheme that comes from the Tampa-2 philosophy Minnesota considers its base defense. Now the Tampa-2 is in use less than 50 percent of the time.

Frazier admits he has found a happy medium
    Frazier's in-season adjustments aren't going to stop opponents from throwing the ball -- especially with veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield (hamstring) having missed three of the past four games -- but it can certainly slow teams down.

What's this Marrdro? Are my eyes decieving me?
    :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

You say tomato... he says tomato... (guess that doesn't work as well in text huh?)
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Articnv is offline Coach

at least he is adjusting and nto trying to slam the same defense down our throat

Freya is offline Team Alumni

I feel good about that philosophy. And it's about time Frazier bends.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Did you read the whole article.
    Seems to echo exactly what I have been saying in numerous threads over the past few weeks........

"singersp" wrote:
    Eleven regular-season games and six months later, Frazier has shown a clear willingness to adjust.
    The keys have been different looks up front, blitzes and man-to-man coverages mixed with the zone scheme that comes from the Tampa-2 philosophy Minnesota considers its base defense. Now the Tampa-2 is in use less than 50 percent of the time.

Frazier's in-season adjustments aren't going to stop opponents from throwing the ball -- especially with veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield (hamstring) having missed three of the past four games -- but it can certainly slow teams down.

Nope they aren't however, you left off the most important para from the article......

"Having to bring five and six guys, it puts a lot more pressure on your secondary," Frazier said at the time. "If opponents pick it up, they have a chance to have some explosive plays, stay on the field and put your offense in a tough position."
    Isn't that what is really happening when we face teams with Veteran QB's who can make the proper reads, audibles and hit the hot reads in the middle, slants and seams?

???

All I have been saying is that they haven't changed the scheme but have been using more of the LB's blitz package to make up for the lack of pressure on the DL.
    That is not a scheme change my friends.

IT IS A FRICKEN BANDAID THAT WILL GET EXPOSED AGAIN........
    ;D
    ;D

Lets hope Kitna and the coaches staff over there in Kitty land don't handle the pressure the way Lord Favreeeee did or you guys will be calling the coaching staff idiots again.

;D

Frazier's in-season adjustments aren't going to stop opponents from throwing the ball -- especially with veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield (hamstring) having missed three of the past four games -- but it can certainly slow teams down. Part of the problem with the Green Bay game was Frazier knew veteran quarterback Brett Favre would be able to handle any changeups thrown at him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Seems to echo exactly what I have been saying in numerous threads over the past few weeks........

"singersp" wrote:

Nope they aren't however, you left off the most important para from the article......

"Having to bring five and six guys, it puts a lot more pressure on your secondary," Frazier said at the time. "If opponents pick it up, they have a chance to have some explosive plays, stay on the field and put your offense in a tough position."
    Isn't that what is really happening when we face teams with Veteran QB's who can make the proper reads, audibles and hit the hot reads in the middle, slants and seams?
    ???

All I have been saying is that they haven't changed the scheme but have been using more of the LB's blitz package to make up for the lack of pressure on the DL.

;D
    ;D

Lets hope Kitna and the coaches staff over there in Kitty land don't handle the pressure the way Lord Favreeeee did or you guys will be calling the coaching staff idiots again.
    ;D

Frazier's in-season adjustments aren't going to stop opponents from throwing the ball -- especially with veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield (hamstring) having missed three of the past four games -- but it can certainly slow teams down. Part of the problem with the Green Bay game was Frazier knew veteran quarterback Brett Favre would be able to handle any changeups thrown at him.
    What are you talking about?
    Lord Favre beat us because we didn't bring enough blitz, and dropped Pat Williams into coverage.
    The Vikings aren't good in the secondary period.
    The only way we can hope to beat the pass is blitzing, because our secondary is going to get picked apart either way.
    When what you are doing isn't working you adjust.
    We thought we could be Favre with coverage, it didn't work out so well.
    The only way the Vikings will beat the passing game is bringing blitzes hard and heavy, make their QB run for his life, and think twice about holding onto that rock, thus making bad plays.
    You mess up someone like Kitna's rythom and he'll make the mistakes we want.
    Then just run the clock with our run and keep them off the field.
    I praise any coach who can make adjustments instead of being stubborn losing with "their" system.
    The Viking's coaching staff has shown moments of bending, but they need to keep it up and not going back to the same old same old that won't work.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

???

;D
    ;D

;D

What are you talking about?
    Lord Favre beat us because we didn't bring enough blitz, and dropped Pat Williams into coverage.
    The Vikings aren't good in the secondary period.
    The only way we can hope to beat the pass is blitzing, because our secondary is going to get picked apart either way.
    When what you are doing isn't working you adjust.
    We thought we could be Favre with coverage, it didn't work out so well.
    The only way the Vikings will beat the passing game is bringing blitzes hard and heavy, make their QB run for his life, and think twice about holding onto that rock, thus making bad plays.
    You mess up someone like Kitna's rythom and he'll make the mistakes we want.
    Then just run the clock with our run and keep them off the field.
    I praise any coach who can make adjustments instead of being stubborn losing with "their" system.
    The Viking's coaching staff has shown moments of bending, but they need to keep it up and not going back to the same old same old that won't work.
    Do you actually think we didn't blitz during the GB game?
    We did and we got burned gol 'darnit near everytime we did it, especially after the first QTR when they figured out what we were doing.

Additionally, you do realize the reason you drop a DL into the zone is because you are blitzing with a LB that would normally be vacating that zone.
    (Note:
    I do agree that Phat Pat probably wouldn't be my first choice to drop into the zone vacated by the MLB in this case
    ;D).

Maybe if I give you guys a few articles about it you will believe me that this isn't a new concept and I am making this pooh up as I go.

;D
    ;D
    ;D

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/davie/1430750.html

Summary
    As you can see, there are unlimited combinations of zone blitzes. The idea is to confuse the offense's identification of who the rushers and pass defenders are. It plays havoc with the offense's count system in determining blocking assignments.

The offense counters the zone blitz with ways to identify if it is coming and where it is coming from. They may utilize different formations and change the snap count so that the defense tips of its plan prior to the snap.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_blitz

This is the one I found 2 weeks ago that closely resembles what we see our LB's doing, I.e running up to the line and then dropping back then running up to the line again and dropping back.
    Sometimes (I saw this alot in the GB game) they will send one gut up and then drop him back and then send 2 guys up and drop them back and then just rush/blitz with the 1rst guy and only 1 of the second 2 running up.

Key note: I am not exactly sure they are using a Double zone Blitz package but it is the closest thing I know to what they are doing (especially when they show the 3-4) without having access to actual game tape.

;D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/bill070018.html

Long story short, we have been doing this stuff since (as near as I can figure) the first Lions game and have been successfull with it against QB's that can't figure the Blitz packages out.

Unfortunately, we have/will run into QBs that can figure it out (ie. Lord Favreeeeee the whole gol 'darnit game) (Romo shortly after the half time adjustments) and will pick us apart doing it if we blitz as many times as we have been doing to generate a pass rush.

It is very easy, blitzing works and is part of the game, but it has to be done at times that it isn't expected or disguised as it exposes your secondary to the underneath stuff.

Again, I hope that our DL generates enough of a pash rush to keep our LBs in coverage/stopping the run and not trying to sack the fricken QB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Long story short
    Too late...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Mar on the DT coverage thing I don't disagree with you that we should be doing it, but I was just pointing out I don't wan't PAT WILLIAMS doing it.
    I would be more than fine if Kevin "Sticky Hands" Williams was doing a little coverage here and there.
    Acutally if our secondary keeps getting beat I do believe we should take a look at Kevin at CB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast