Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings | Birk won't play for less

He had not 1 surgery but 4, over a 13 month period. The type of injuries he had should not be career threatening, hopefully he can come back and regain the form he had in 2003. He was the brains of the offense line and is the one who called out block assignments and was the leader of the o-line, if he does not come back here then we have to get somebody in FA that is just as good!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Does not unreasonable to me. He is worth it.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Now the question is, if Birk is not one hundred percent healthy, does the team keep him for that money? I think the obvious answer for fans is yes but you never really know what the team will do. If it turns out he is not fully recovered does the team ask him to take less money? Probably not but a very good possibility. Nothing is garunteed in the NFl and the Vikings have made a committment to this guy but if he's not what he used to be, it will be interesting to see if the team will do nothing with his contract.

[color=red]

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

i read this article and it means nothing, somone is stirring up rumors cause peppers agent wants him to get more money. so who's next? kevin williams?
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

TheKnuck is offline Asst. Coach

We need Birk like.....................well i cant think of anything right now, but we need him badly!!!!!! if god....i mean Culpepper is to return to his bad self it starts with this man and hopefully an improved o line. give him what he's entiltled to and move on.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Birk Birk Birk Birk

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Don't get me wrong,

I think Birk is one of the top 5 Centers in the league, when healthy..

I'm just concerned how well he will come back from his injury.....

I also believe, players have a hell of a nerve to ask for MORE money, coming off a big injury, espeicaly an injury that's kept you out of the game for a year or more..

As is the case with Birk and is also the case with PEP...

But the team should uphold the last contract in place, and if anything, offer a performance bonus to be paid at the end of one years playing time..
    Like in Birks case, you start at center next year, you grade out high in your games and at the half way point of the season if he's still playing strong, throw him some dow.....
    Finishes the whole season, more dow.......Playoffs and Super Bowl, more dow and new contract for the next year..

Thats fare to both sides......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Hopefully we get a Center in the draft. Maybe in the 3rd to 6th round range. I’m not saying to replace Matt Birk. Just an insurance policy, plus we could groom a young guy to take over for Birk when he’s done.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

I love Birk and truly believe he can change the entire complexation of a line by himself. IS anyone else getting a feeling he might not want to stay in Minnesota? He almost seems like he is trying to stir things up only to have it back fire in his face.

With this comments he made before the surgury and wanting money, I could see him hoping that would start a controversy and the Vikings putting their foot down or saying the wrong thing. Instead they were just like no get your injuries taken care of and come back next year. Now they tell him he's getting his money and he is almost egging them on trying to get them to say he should get less?!

I hope I am totally wrong on this and that Birk has many more years with the VIkings....I have just been getting some weird vibes from articles about him over the last year

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    I love Wilf's response.

===============================================

KFFL
    Vikings | Birk won't play for less
    Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:17:44 -0800

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports the agent for injured Vikings C Matt Birk (hip, hernia) recently was quoted as saying, "Under no circumstances will Matt Birk play for the Vikings for one penny less than what his contract calls for," which is $3.94 million in 2006. Owner Zygi Wilf was reportedly surprised by the statement. "If Birk can play football he will be paid his contract," Wilf said.
    Sounds to me like an open & shut case.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast