Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Are Vikings Believers in Themselves?

From Vikings update.com

Are Vikings Believers in Themselves?

By Scout.com
    Date: Oct 27, 2005

The Vikings’ win over Green Bay could be a turning point in the season or just a momentary lapse of happiness in an otherwise gloomy season, depending on their follow-up in Carolina.

The Vikings’ season of turmoil and disappointment looked finished at halftime of last Sunday’s game against Green Bay. Trailing 17-0, the Vikings were booed off the Metrodome field and appeared destined to for a 1-5 start.

And then everything changed ...

Perhaps inspired by embattled coach Mike Tice’s halftime speech or maybe just embarrassed enough by a combination of off-the-field issues and on-the-field ineptitude, the Vikings rallied for 23 second-half points en route a 23-20 victory.

As kicker Paul Edinger’s team-record 56-yard field goal went through the uprights, the Vikings were given a second lease on life in the NFC North.

On Sunday, we’ll find out how Tice’s team handles this bit of prosperity. It won’t be an easy task for the Vikings, who at 2-4 are amazingly only one game behind division co-leaders Chicago (3-3) and Detroit (3-3).

The Vikings will make their first-ever regular-season trip to Carolina, a much better team than Green Bay. The Panthers (4-2) are tied for second place in the highly competitive NFC South and will be well-rested coming off a bye. It’s the second consecutive week the Vikings will face a team that had a bye.

Tice’s biggest concern will be getting his team to believe it can win a game away from the Metrodome. At home, the Viking are 2-1, losing the season-opener to Tampa Bay (24-13) and then rebounding with victories over New Orleans (33-16) and the Packers.

Away from home is a different story.

The Vikings have been dreadful on the road, getting routed by Cincinnati (37-8), Atlanta (30-10) and Chicago (28-3). There only two touchdowns have been late scores that came when the games were out of hand.

Getting this type of failure turnaround quickly won’t be easy for Tice. Since taking over in 2001, his teams have never had much success on the road and it has been especially tough in outdoor stadiums.

Tice is 9-18 on the road since taking over for the final game of the 2002 season after Dennis Green was fired. Overall, the Vikings have lost 31 of their past 40 contests as visitors, dating to the middle of the 2000 season. Minnesota has a 3-20 record outdoors in that time.

One of the Vikings’ biggest problems is an inability to keep cool after something goes wrong on the road. Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and Co., seem to get rattled far too easily at the first sign of trouble.

But if the Vikings are too stay within striking distance of the NFC North lead — and they are being every chance to do so — they must prove that not only was last Sunday no fluke but that this team can win in a tough environment.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Are Vikings Believers in Themselves?

Even though Tice is 9-18 on the road, that's an improvement from the Denny era!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

hopefully we believe in ourself. i know some of the players do, but i dont think all of them are on the same page yet. winning this weekend would help that along.
    We're bringing purple back.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I believe in the Vikes.

Doesn't that count for something?

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Me too ultra. We can do it!

I've never stopped believing in them!

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    Even though Tice is 9-18 on the road, that's an improvement from the Denny era!
    It is??? I'm pretty sure the Denny era was one of the best in our history, unlike this year when the talent is there but we're underachieving....when Denny coached we did more with (maybe) less talent and if not the same amount....

The "Denny Years"
    W L
    1992 min | 11 5 0 |
    | 1993 min | 9 7 0 |
    | 1994 min | 10 6 0 |
    | 1995 min | 8 8 0 |
    | 1996 min | 9 7 0 |
    | 1997 min | 9 7 0 |
    | 1998 min | 15 1 0 |
    | 1999 min | 10 6 0 |
    | 2000 min | 11 5
    |2001 min| 5 11

I believe we only missed the playoffs twice those years.....

97-63 overall record with the Vikes, purdy darn good.... those were the years where I could make it to the end of the season and actually feel good about what the Vikes did that year.....

Tice: 25-30 overall record.....I wish cheapy McCombs wouldn't have blown his load when the Vikes had 1 losing season....shoulda kept him or got somebody better....but we got Tice, the team got the short end of that deal......I want John Randle and Chris Doleman and Cris Carter and Robert Smith and Randall McDaniel and Denny back!!! :sad:

DENNY ACTUALLY WON, I loved him as a coach....he knew how to get results.....Green and Grant, the best coaches in our history.....

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

That being said....I believe the Vikings can WIN THE SUPERBOWL....but I 'd be a lot more confident if we had a better coach....

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"audioghost" wrote:
    Tice: 25-30 overall record.....I wish cheapy McCombs wouldn't have blown his load when the Vikes had 1 losing season....shoulda kept him (Denny) or got somebody better....but we got Tice, the team got the short end of that deal......I want John Randle and Chris Doleman and Cris Carter and Robert Smith and Randall McDaniel and Denny back!!! :sad:

DENNY ACTUALLY WON, I loved him as a coach....he knew how to get results.....Green and Grant, the best coaches in our history.....
    I liked Denny too. I think what happened with Denny was him and Red got into it. I think Denny got sick of him talking to the players like he was the pep ralley king. I can see it in Tice's eyes too every clip in the locker room after the games when Red speaks. Tice's eyes and Denny's had a lot in them that said, "just shut up old man."

Seriously, next time you see one of those year highlight films and you see Red talking, look for Tice's face and his eyes. It is something to see.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

And then everything changed ...

Perhaps inspired by embattled coach Mike Tice’s halftime speech or maybe just embarrassed enough by a combination of off-the-field issues and on-the-field ineptitude, the Vikings rallied for 23 second-half points en route a 23-20 victory.
    I heard a comment from a player, and it went like this, I think it was Burley on NFL TA.

Tice gave a speach at half time and if you closed your eyes and listened, you would have thought it was on of the players talking.

He meant it as a positive for Tice. But the first thing that I thought was "players coach."

Good or Bad???????

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast