Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Rodgers was the 24th pick of the 2005 Draft. Is he part of the "team full of late first rounders?"
    He is an elite QB.
    Cna you find one later in the draft? Yes. However, the chances of that happening are lower than higher in the draft. Rodgers was part of an epic fall. Going into the draft he was expected to be the first QB selected. It was a dead heat between him and Alex Smith. His draft position doesn't change my statement. Just like I could have corrected the person that said Brees was a late 2nd rounder. He was the first pick of the 2nd round. None of that changes that without an elite Qb...one of the best teams in football looks like one of the worst. We have to stop dumpster diving for Qbs and hoping we find one in the 2nd and third round. Stop drafting guys in the first round that scounts aren't calling can't miss talents. We need Bridgewater. Everything about the guy screams polished. Arm, poise, character, commitment, leadership. He instantly makes this team better. Thats all you can ask for from your QB..... Lose the damn games.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    He is an elite QB.
    Cna you find one later in the draft? Yes. However, the chances of that happening are lower than higher in the draft. Rodgers was part of an epic fall. Going into the draft he was expected to be the first QB selected. It was a dead heat between him and Alex Smith. His draft position doesn't change my statement. Just like I could have corrected the person that said Brees was a late 2nd rounder. He was the first pick of the 2nd round. None of that changes that without an elite Qb...one of the best teams in football looks like one of the worst. We have to stop dumpster diving for Qbs and hoping we find one in the 2nd and third round. Stop drafting guys in the first round that scounts aren't calling can't miss talents. We need Bridgewater. Everything about the guy screams polished. Arm, poise, character, commitment, leadership. He instantly makes this team better. Thats all you can ask for from your QB..... Lose the damn games.
    Hahaha... you had me until the "We need Bridgewater" comment. He's looked pretty pedestrian the past few games and has all the makings of being a bust.

And I was the one that said Brees was late 2nd round, that was indeed incorrect... but every team in the NFL had a chance to draft him in the first and passed on him. To the people saying we need the #1 or #2 pick to get an elite NFL QB, they're just wrong... especially if we draft Bridgewater.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Hahaha... you had me until the "We need Bridgewater" comment. He's looked pretty pedestrian the past few games and has all the makings of being a bust.

And I was the one that said Brees was late 2nd round, that was indeed incorrect... but every team in the NFL had a chance to draft him in the first and passed on him. To the people saying we need the #1 or #2 pick to get an elite NFL QB, they're just wrong... especially if we draft Bridgewater.
    Epic Qbs in the late rounds are exceptions to the rule.
    Brady and Brees shouldn't be the standard we hope for.

Also drafting trends has changed significantly since 2001.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Epic Qbs in the late rounds are exceptions to the rule.
    Brady and Brees shouldn't be the standard we hope for.

Also drafting trends has changed significantly since 2001.
    This is true.

THe important point is not that you pick a qb in round1. It's that you pick the best QB. They consequently go in round 1.

As we saw with Ponder, three QBs went in the first 11 picks, we took #4. We should have never drafted him in the top half of the round. Our poor scouting, and the run on QBs dictated we might reach, and we did.

I did a breakdown a couple years ago over the past 6 or 7 years and the percentage of quarterbacks who are even starters(nevermind good ones) when drafted from the late rounds. The number is quite low.

Worht noting also, Brees was #32 overall pick, which would be a first rounder in this years format

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Love it. Agree 100%.

Things I know are true:

1: Frazier is a terrible Coach.
    2: Musgrave is a terrible Coach.
    3: Williams is....you get the idea.
    4: The Wilf's need to be bought out/replaced. All of them.
    5: Christian ponder is NOT the answer. He's not even the question.
    6: Adrian Peterson is amazing.
    7: Matt Cassell is not the future of the franchise...but he's the best we got right now.
    8: Getting Freeman was a waste.
    9: I almost cried when Walsh missed that FG.
    10: I almost shat when Gould did the same thing.
    11: I did a little happy-dance when we beat Chicago.
    12: The Packers still suck.

Caine
    Ooh Rah!!!!!!
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Rodgers was the 24th pick of the 2005 Draft. Is he part of the "team full of late first rounders?"
    He is an elite QB.
    I disagree with your assessment of Bridgewater and will never wish for, cheer, root for, nor toast a Vikings loss. MaxVike, out

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

purpledoom is offline Starter
    I disagree with your assessment of Bridgewater and will never wish for, cheer, root for, nor toast a Vikings loss. MaxVike, out
    Not sure about Bridgewater, I lean toward Johnny Football myself. Lets face it it's a crapshoot no matter what. I agree totally with everything else you said.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Love it. Agree 100%.

Things I know are true:

1: Frazier is a terrible Coach.
    2: Musgrave is a terrible Coach.
    3: Williams is....you get the idea.
    4: The Wilf's need to be bought out/replaced. All of them.
    5: Christian ponder is NOT the answer. He's not even the question.
    6: Adrian Peterson is amazing.
    7: Matt Cassell is not the future of the franchise...but he's the best we got right now.
    8: Getting Freeman was a waste.
    9: I almost cried when Walsh missed that FG.
    10: I almost shat when Gould did the same thing.
    11: I did a little happy-dance when we beat Chicago.
    12: The Packers still suck.

Caine
    It does not take a brain surgeon to understand that Cassel was the best qb on the roster this year. Because of Ponder's draft position the brass stubbornly stayed with a guy everyone knew could and would never even be close to Cassel in quarerbacking an NFL team. This team with Cassel starting from day one would be right in the thick of the NFC North. Not saying we are a good team by any means but neither is 3/4 of the teams in th NFL today. It amazes me there has not been a bigger uproar for Cassel early on this season.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    This is true.

THe important point is not that you pick a qb in round1. It's that you pick the best QB. They consequently go in round 1.

As we saw with Ponder, three QBs went in the first 11 picks, we took #4. We should have never drafted him in the top half of the round. Our poor scouting, and the run on QBs dictated we might reach, and we did.

I did a breakdown a couple years ago over the past 6 or 7 years and the percentage of quarterbacks who are even starters(nevermind good ones) when drafted from the late rounds. The number is quite low.

Worht noting also, Brees was #32 overall pick, which would be a first rounder in this years format
    Yeah.
    I'm not saying draft a QB just because he is there. I hate that thought process. No team should be drafting the 4-5th best prospect in one position in the 1st round. No way the 4th best QB is a better player than the #1 DT.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVikesTX View Post
    Was I the only one secretly hoping for another tie?
    I was hoping for a loss or tie, preferably a loss.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast