Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings - Bad things come with 3-and-outs

[size=13pt]Vikings: Bad things come with 3-and-outs[/size]

The Vikings are the second-worst team in the NFL in converting third downs, a major symptom of their offensive struggles.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: November 13, 2007 – 9:19 PM

The Vikings are 36-for-118, a 30.5 percent efficiency rate, placing them 31st in the NFL, ahead of only San Francisco (34-for-123, 27.6 percent)...........

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings - Bad things come with 3-and-outs

[size=13pt]Vikings third-down conversions[/size]

Last update: November 13, 2007 – 7:51 PM

startribune.com

Click the link for the game by game breakdown.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Ugly stats, I hope Tarvaris can stay healthy the rest of the season so we can get some continuity on offense.We've struggled for a couple seasons now, and unfortunantly I don't see us improving much this year. Maybe we can raise our percentage by 5% or so.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I didn't even look at who might be 30th and 32nd on that list, but I am sure we are with the likes of the Ravens and the Niners?
    We are one of the worst overall offenses in the league, even with the rushing thread we pose.

It wasn't rocket science for Judd to come up with that article.
    It is a little late to be pointing it out, we have been that way all season.
    With the musical (injury) QB situation, there hasn't been an opportunity to improve from week to week to week.

Ha, just about had that one pegged.
    I found it interesting that our ineptness started with Tice.

The Vikings' struggles are nothing new. Last season, Brad Childress' first as Vikings coach, his team was 77-for-233 (33 percent) and ranked 28th in the league. The year before, Mike Tice's last as Vikings coach, they were 64-for-196 (32.7 percent) and finished 30th.
    I would still attribute this to a lack of playmakers at WR and the QB problems we have had from injury to replacements of the QB.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    Really!?
    HOLY SHIT!
    Somebody should tell Childress - I don't think he knows!

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

The Vikings are the second-worst team in the NFL in converting third downs, a major symptom of their offensive struggles.

The Vikings are 36-for-118, a 30.5 percent efficiency rate, placing them 31st in the NFL, ahead of only San Francisco (34-for-123, 27.6 percent)...........

Yes, many bad things...including the added stress put on our defense. A lot of this ineptitude is due to our predictable offense. 3rd and 1...who do you think the defense will be keying on??? There are those who will say that to give the ball to anyone other than AP is a mistake, but in that situation a play-action should work once in a while. (I'm not saying this as 20-20 hindsight.) Our offense has so little creativity...I expected so much more from this offensive guru.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Yes, many bad things...including the added stress put on our defense. A lot of this ineptitude is due to our predictable offense. 3rd and 1...who do you think the defense will be keying on??? There are those who will say that to give the ball to anyone other than AP is a mistake, but in that situation a play-action should work once in a while. (I'm not saying this as 20-20 hindsight.) Our offense has so little creativity...I expected so much more from this offensive guru.
    Damn, for the last 5 to 6 weeks I have recieved nothing but heat from the "Run it everydown" crowd and now all I see is the guys who want to see more passing.

Were the hell were you guys when I was taking all the heat?
    Better yet, were are all the "Run it everydown" guys now?

I still say a balanced attack (60% run/40% pass) is the way to go.
    Play to your strength (run heavy) with just enough passing to keep them honest (7 in the box).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

gol 'darnit, for the last 5 to 6 weeks I have recieved nothing but heat from the "Run it everydown" crowd and now all I see is the guys who want to see more passing.

Play to your strength (run heavy) with just enough passing to keep them honest (7 in the box).

Marrdro, you should not have received any heat for proposing a mixed attack!!!...60/40 sounds good to me. (Wish I was around then...I just started posting regularly again the past few days.) But I'll add my few cents. Running it every down is crazy no matter who you have in the backfield...every good/great offense employs a balanced run/pass attack. Look at any of the great teams of the past and present. Even the Redskins with Riggins and the Hogs had a really good passing game.

We don't have either. We have a great runner (actually two), but we do NOT have a great running game because we can't get a passing game off the ground. And vice versa, we can't get a passing game going when we can't run the ball. I am certainly not a football genius, but I've seen enough teams to form my own humble opinions on what works or why something is not working.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

gol 'darnit, for the last 5 to 6 weeks I have recieved nothing but heat from the "Run it everydown" crowd and now all I see is the guys who want to see more passing.

Marrdro, you should not have received any heat for proposing a mixed attack!!!...60/40 sounds good to me. (Wish I was around then...I just started posting regularly again the past few days.) But I'll add my few cents. Running it every down is crazy no matter who you have in the backfield...every good/great offense employs a balanced run/pass attack. Look at any of the great teams of the past and present. Even the Redskins with Riggins and the Hogs had a really good passing game.

We don't have either. We have a great runner (actually two), but we do NOT have a great running game because we can't get a passing game off the ground. And vice versa, we can't get a passing game going when we can't run the ball. I am certainly not a football genius, but I've seen enough teams to form my own humble opinions on what works or why something is not working.
    Thanks my friend.

There are a few yutz's on here that don't always agree with me.
    ;D

Keep it on the downlow, however, sometimes they are right though.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Oh, Reeeeaaally?

Nice Headline...not!

Umm, yeah, running it every down with AP didn't work either.
    Surprise, surprise.
    By the time they let Bollinger pass, it was too late...well, there was a few, poor throws early...short, behind, no rhythm.
    Looked like BB had too much time to think about it this week...seems like he plays better off the bench, or late in the game when it no longer matters.
    He just doesn't take the pressure well-pun intended

Back to Tarvaris, they all had their chance, and he is still the only one with any future potential...and then there is that consistency thing.
    Hard for the WRs to develop any confidence in their QB when it changes every week...then again, the same can be said of our WRs.
    They've all been shuffled around too...injuries, funerals, etc.
    If he could just get a bit more accuracy on that deep ball, I think he could be special.
    Pretty much all of my non-Viking friends out here in CO (less biased?) who have watched games with me think he's gonna be good...someday.

Here's a better headline:
    Funny Fickle Fans Flip Flop in Frustration
    ;D

Crack myself up.
    No offense intended, its good to laugh at yourself once in awhile!
    I think we're all at least a bit frustrated with our team right now...and reaching for answers or a win any way we can get it.

Last year, the big complaint was, "All we do is run left,"
    The big joke was that run left was the only play on the Chiller's card.
    We get a young, stud RB in the off season and suddenly the plan should always be, run AP.
    Plan used to be AP All Day, now he's hurt and the more balanced attack is suddenly looking better.
    IMHO 30+ plays/game takes a toll...breaks down a body's natural defenses, pounding your instincts into submission on some level.
    Good thing we didn't trade away Chester Taylor.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast