singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' backups prove they can help team win

Duluth News Tribune
    Posted on Mon, Nov. 28, 2005
    Commentary by BOB SANSEVERE

[size=18px]Vikings' backups prove they can help team win[/size]

It covers C.J. Mosley's upper arm and part of his right shoulder, this tattoo of a lion with flames rising off his mane.

"Keep that burn," Mosley said, explaining the flames. "You've got to have that fire."

That is how Mosley wants to play football. With that burn, that fire.

"Look," he said, nodding to the tattoo. "You can see the lion with his chest out."

It's a proud lion. A lion telling you there isn't anything that can douse his flame.

"You've got to stay hot," Mosley said.

Mosley sure did that Sunday during the Vikings' 24-12 victory over the Cleveland Browns. He's just a rookie, a sixth-round pick out of Missouri who hadn't done much before Sunday. When Kevin Williams injured his knee on Cleveland's second offensive play, Mosley replaced him. He brought that burn into the game.

Mosley was one of the Vikings' standout defensive players with seven total tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble that set up the Vikings' first touchdown.

"It's about stepping up and doing your part," Mosley said.

Several backups have done that this season, particularly during the Vikings' four-game winning streak.

Check it out:

• Since Daunte Culpepper's season-ending knee injury, Brad Johnson is 4-0 as the starting quarterback.

• Defensive end Darrion Scott, who is playing more because of the season-crunching injury to Kenechi Udeze, had four tackles, a sack and a fumble recovery Sunday.

• Brian Williams has been exceptional since replacing injured cornerback Fred Smoot.

• Rookie Dovonte Edwards, who also moved up the depth chart after Smoot got hurt, returned an interception for a touchdown in last week's victory over Green Bay.

• The offensive line, which has just one player, Bryant McKinnie, who began the season as a starter, gave Johnson enough time Sunday to pass for 207 yards, three touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 110.3.

• Marcus Robinson and Travis Taylor took more reps Sunday because of injuries to Nate Burleson and Troy Williamson and had impressive performances. Robinson caught all three of Johnson's TD passes, and Taylor had five catches for 70 yards.

"When a guy goes down, we don't worry," defensive tackle Pat Williams said. "We have hungry backup guys."

"This train is going to keep on moving," Johnson said.

This is the best depth Mike Tice has had in four seasons as the Vikings' coach, and it is better than most of the years Denny Green coached the team.

"I guess that shows the coaches know how to develop young talent," Tice said, seizing an opportunity to tweak his critics. "Players don't just go out there."

When Mosley went out there in place of Williams, he got a quick bit of advice from defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell. "I told him, 'Play like hell. Play like crazy,' " Cottrell said.

Mosley was planning to do that, anyway.

"When you go out there and play, you've got to make the most of the opportunity," he said. "I could have taken it the wrong way and choked."

Instead, he did his part in strangling the Browns' offense, which had five turnovers and didn't score its lone touchdown until the game was way out of reach.

"I heard (Mosley's) name on the head phones a couple of times prefaced by a curse word," Tice said. "So I would say he had some good plays and had a few bad plays."

More good than bad.

"He was all revved up," said Pat Williams, who played alongside Mosley. "That's how you're supposed to play, how you want to play. I go out there and play with anger. It doesn't matter who we're playing against. I always play with a chip on my shoulder."

Mosley's locker is next to Williams'. He heard everything Williams had to say, and he nodded in agreement.

"Like Pat, I'm mad," Mosley said.

And like that lion with the flames rising off his mane, Mosley was on fire.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings' backups prove they can help team win

As an added note;

Brad Johson:
    TD%: 4.3 (6) - INT%: 1.4 - QB Rating: 85.0 - Wins: 4/4 (100%)

Brett Favre:
    TD%: 4.7 (19) - INT%: 4.7 - QB Rating: 79.3 - Wins: 2/11 (18%)

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I hope C.J. wins the rookie of the week award and they don't try to give it to Gado who we shut down a week ago.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

"FuadFan" wrote:
    I hope C.J. wins the rookie of the week award and they don't try to give it to Gado who we shut down a week ago.
    Gado is a fumbling machine. He better not get it again, especially after another GB loss.
    Even babies know the difference.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

depth might be the most important thing to any team.
    We're bringing purple back.