singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings ask NFL to investigate radio trouble

[size=13pt]Vikings' radios run interference[/size]

Childress works around frequency problem

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

The Vikings refused to pause because of technical difficulties Monday night at FedEx Field.

When the quarterback-to-coach communication failed during key stretches of the game, the Vikings went low-tech and didn't waste any timeouts.

"I don't know why that happened, but it happened, so we were back at high school," Vikings coach Brad Childress said Wednesday. "We were running plays with the wide receivers, and Brad (Johnson) came over and got a couple."

Control Dynamics Corporation, based in Warminster, Pa., has provided the helmet radios since 1994, according to the company's Web site, but a spokesman declined comment and referred questions to the NFL.

A league spokesman said there was an "interference problem" with the wireless frequency used to operate the Vikings' equipment, and a backup, wired system was used. The NFL spokesman did not know whether the Washington Redskins experienced any problems.

Childress said the system didn't work on the first play and at the start of the third quarter. He added that the Vikings travel with two "pretty high-tech communication guys," in case they have any problems.

"It didn't mess us up," said Johnson, the quarterback, although he acknowledged it was an inconvenience.

Calling an audible, Childress sent in calls through receivers or tight end Jermaine Wiggins, and he sometimes had Johnson come over.

"Anybody that I thought could spit it back out," Childress said.

Happy birthday: Johnson, who turned 38 Wednesday, offered reflections on his age.

"Years have flown by," said Johnson, noting that the veteran quarterbacks on the roster when he arrived seemed like "old guys."

But Johnson is now at a ripe age, and he noted that Warren Moon had a long, illustrious career at Johnson's age and beyond.

"He came here as a free agent when he was 37, played until he was 45 and made the Pro Bowl when at 41. He set the pavement pretty good for us," Johnson said.

"I feel like I'm 25 or 26," he said. "A lot of these young guys, they kind of fall asleep in meetings. I'm ready to go, so I'm probably a little younger than some of those guys, actually."

How did he plan to celebrate? He'll have ice cream and cake with his wife and sons.

No big deal: During the offseason, Vikings cornerback Fred Smoot yearned for the first two games of the season so he could face his former team, the Washington Redskins, and the Carolina Panthers, led by all-pro receiver Steve Smith.

After having a rough game against Smith last year in Charlotte, Smoot longed for a rematch against Smith. But a hamstring injury could keep Smith off the field Sunday at the Metrodome.

Asked about the possibility of Smith not playing, Smoot said: "Man, I basically want to win the games. I'm not going into this with any personal vendettas. It's about my team."

Smoot also dismissed Smith's touchdown celebration in that Oct. 30 loss. After scoring, Smith pretended to row a boat, a shot at Smoot, who was mired in the Lake Minnetonka boat scandal.

Smoot said he was no more bothered by Smith than he was by fans at other stadiums who donned props and signs poking fun at him.

"It is what it is," Smoot said.

Free-agent update: The agent for receiver Quincy Morgan said the Denver Broncos are interested in his client.

Brian Overstreet said he had hoped his client would sign with the Vikings, but the Broncos stepped up and could sign Morgan soon.

Morgan worked out for the Vikings last week, and he was an attractive option because of his NFL experience as a receiver and kickoff returner.

The Vikings worked out guard C.J. Brooks, who played at Maryland, on Tuesday.

Former St. Cloud State and Vikings quarterback Todd Bouman worked out for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday.

Briefly: Childress said his decision on the backup quarterback will be made "week to week."

As for why veteran Brooks Bollinger was the third quarterback Monday, Childress said: "He just wasn't quite where he needed to be, and it's not fair to put a guy in that situation. Let's face it, Tarvaris (Jackson) had the most reps in training camp in this offense."

• The Vikings announced that they're opening another Vikings Locker Room store, this one at Ridgedale Center in Minnetonka on Friday.

The original Vikings Locker Room store is at the Mall of America.

• Running back Ciatrick Fason (shoulder) and safety Will Hunter (hamstring) are probable for Sunday's game.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings' radios run interference

[size=13pt]Vikings ask NFL to investigate radio trouble[/size]

The Vikings didn't suggest sabotage, but their wireless system was OK before the game.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: September 13, 2006 – 8:10 PM

The Vikings asked the NFL on Wednesday to investigate a sudden disruption of their wireless communications system early in Monday night's 19-16 victory over Washington, a failure of unknown origin that forced them to send in plays manually rather than by radio.
    Coach Brad Childress asked Ray Anderson, the NFL's senior vice president of football operations, to "take a peak at" the problem.

The Redskins reported no such malfunctions with their equipment. Childress stopped far short of suggesting sabotage, but he said two experts could find nothing wrong with the Vikings' equipment.

Asked if the problem was the result of an intentional act, Childress said: "I don't know."

An NFL spokesman acknowledged there was an "interference problem" with the Vikings' wireless frequency. The spokesman said no specifics were available on the nature of the interference.

Most teams use some sort of wireless radio to send in offensive plays from a coach's headset to a speaker in the quarterback's helmet. Childress said two consultants travel with the team for each road game to set up the technology and provide troubleshooting.

"It worked right before we came out for the game," Childress said. "They take those helmets all over the stadium and check them in every corner. They worked before we came out [of the locker room]. They didn't work for the first play. They worked before we came out for the second half, because they rechecked everything -- batteries, cells -- and it didn't work as we started the third quarter."

The Vikings eventually resorted to a backup system of wired headsets, but on several drives -- including the opening drive in which they scored a touchdown -- Childress shuttled in plays with several receivers as well as tight end Jermaine Wiggins. "Anybody I thought that could spit it back out," Childress said.

Receiver Travis Taylor was among the group.

"Hadn't done that since Pop Warner," Taylor said. "They would give me the formation and the play. Brad [Johnson] pretty much knows the plays, so I just had to remember two or three words of it and everything was good."

Johnson ran to the sidelines on numerous occasions to pick up the play himself. The Vikings snapped the ball several times with one or two seconds remaining on the game clock, but they were not called for any delay-of-game penalties.

"That's the way it goes," Childress said, "and that's the way it goes in a noisy stadium. You better be able to adjust."

Kevin Seifert • [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings ask NFL to investigate radio trouble

u know..

with the right device.. u could listen into that wirseless broadcast.

wonder why they don't make a bluetooth priv network?
    what high tech guys do they have.. put me in there!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I love how the coaches and players will still cover their mouths with the playboard when calling plays....It's a fact, teams used to and maybe still do, have proffesional lip readers on there side to try to catch what
    the other team is saying..

Yes Prophet, lip readers, not lip lockers.... ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Didn't Snyder make all of his money in COMMUNICATIONS???
    Hmmmmmm....................
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

So tell me, when something like this happens then why don't teams go back to the old way of calling plays in by signals? I know its not hi-tech and maybe not trendy in this day and age but would at least give a good form of back-up to the wireless means
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am pretty sure they use a secure hash for encoding on the transmitter and reciever, so for all intents and purposes it is secure.
    Even listening to the frequency wouldn't mean much without the key.
    There are methods to discover the key, but it would be less effort just to study the game and anticipate the calls.
    But digital420, for the record, I like the idea of a bluetooth private network.
    I wonder if its been tried?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | NFL to investigate disruption in communications during Week 1
    Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:29:30 -0700

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Minnesota Vikings have asked the NFL to investigate a sudden disruption in their communications system early during the Week 1 game against the Washington Redskins. The failure forced the team to send in plays manually. Vikings head coach Brad Childress asked the NFL's senior vice president of football operations, Ray Anderson, to "take a peek at" the problem. Two experts have found nothing wrong with the Vikings' equipment, but Childress has not accused anyone of sabotage.

Json is offline GM

Dang Cheaters!
    Yet the Vikes still win....cheaters never prosper.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I am pretty sure they use a secure hash for encoding on the transmitter and reciever, so for all intents and purposes it is secure.
    Even listening to the frequency wouldn't mean much without the key.
    There are methods to discover the key, but it would be less effort just to study the game and anticipate the calls.
    But digital420, for the record, I like the idea of a bluetooth private network.
    I wonder if its been tried?
    If the Skin's wanted to could they jam all the frequencies that they don't use which would knock out the opponents communication.

I thought it used to be if one teams electronic communications were disrupted the other team had to stop using theirs, has that changed?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.