Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Vikings' air attack has remained grounded so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2_VaO43f4Y

Been watching this with a huge grin on my face.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote]
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    With respect to a deep passing threat, there is a good chance we don't establish one this year. We're just going to have to rely on YAC and a strong running game. We are just going to have to fight fire with fire when they stack the box.

I'm not saying we won't see deep throws or streak/seam routes, I just don't think we have the players to make it effective.

Last year we disregarded the vanilla offense in preseason because, well it was preseason. Nothing changed when the real season began. This year I'm not making the same mistake. I think we will see the same style of offense we have seen now. I'm just hoping we run the ball as much as possible.
    Your just trying to get me stirred up again on the scheme aren't ya.
    ;D

Core features of the West Coast philosophy are:

QB makes pre and post-snap reads and judges where the ball should go.
    All five WRs run patterns (ie. no TE or RB blocking).
    Passing game attacks defense within the short-medium range (up to 15 yards).
    Receiver's skill relied on to create YAC and break big plays.
    Force defense to react to passing game: this opens up the run.
    Quick drop (generally 3-5 step, though the 7 step can be used) by QB used to minimize sacks.
    Multiple formations, shifts and motions to create mismatches.
    QBs job is to find the open receiver and deliver the ball by progressing through his reads.
    Triangle passing (strongside, weakside and middle).

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/1790/204
    I agree with what you have as the core features of the WCO, but you have to admit we are going to have to look different than that to be successful with what we have. For one thing AP is not a prototype WCO back. He is a perfect I formation-line up 8 yards deep-pick the right hole and pound the ball back. I have not seen them sending the WR's,End and RB's out in pass patterns yet and though the offense wasn't on the field much, I saw TJ going back more than 3 steps and it seemed to me more than 5. It also seemed the 2,3,and 4 QB's weren't doing any sort of quick drop,anticipate where the wr will be and put the ball there throws.

Do you feel that they are practicing the plays this way and are keeping them super secret until they unleash them game 1, do you think they are waiting until next year to install them, or are they just adjusting to their talent and this is what we are going to see?
    Uffda, again with the I formation issue.

I gave you a prime example in another thread about this but you must have missed it.
    I don't have time to search right away, however, if you look up in advance search two key words Craig and Rathman under Marrdro you will see a good link and quotes from Tom on this very issue.

The 49'rs ran a predominantly I back formation with Roger Craig and Tom Rathman and not a split back set like you aluded to in that thread.

[quote]

Marr buddy

(And BTW, I really could care less if we run the wishbone if it works ( Actually......)) And my basis for talking about the split back come from reading as much as I can to understand it like you are. This is what I was referring to, taken from a site explaining the WCO. Maybe these articles are erroneous,in which case I am wrong.

Pulled from an article:

The initial Walsh concept was for a standard pro-set offense -- two backs in split alignment, two wide receivers and a tight end -- designed to get the ball quickly from the quarterback to the skill-position players. The idea was to release all five of the eligible receivers at the same time, relying on three- and five-step drops by the quarterback to compensate for most blocking breakdowns, and to throw the ball crisply and on the break.

UDV

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Marr buddy

(And BTW, I really could care less if we run the wishbone if it works ( Actually......)) And my basis for talking about the split back come from reading as much as I can to understand it like you are. This is what I was referring to, taken from a site explaining the WCO. Maybe these articles are erroneous,in which case I am wrong.

Pulled from an article:

The initial Walsh concept was for a standard pro-set offense -- two backs in split alignment, two wide receivers and a tight end -- designed to get the ball quickly from the quarterback to the skill-position players. The idea was to release all five of the eligible receivers at the same time, relying on three- and five-step drops by the quarterback to compensate for most blocking breakdowns, and to throw the ball crisply and on the break.

UDV
    The only thing I find wrong with that quote is that Walsh's base package in his sytem didn't rely on a split back set but rather an I formation (i.e. Rathman/Craig).
    Other than that it is pretty accurate at least from my vantage point.

NFLN re-aired a great piece during the week of Walsh's passing that showed him walking through the basics of the 3, 5 and 7 step drops used by the QB along with the routes ran by RB's, TE's and WR's in executing the WCO.
    Very interesting if you ever get a chance to watch it.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345