Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings' air attack has remained grounded so far

There was an article on Chilly's PC yesterday, where he said we (coaches) see the pass in practice, and our D is no slouch to compete against.
    Basically haven't had the chance to do it in the game with the Defense scoring.
    Chilly also said that TJ will play into the 3rd quarter this week so they can simulate making adjustments at half time.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=36890.0

Hopefully TJ will get to get more game time passes for momentum purposes to sustain some drives.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    With respect to a deep passing threat, there is a good chance we don't establish one this year. We're just going to have to rely on YAC and a strong running game. We are just going to have to fight fire with fire when they stack the box.

I'm not saying we won't see deep throws or streak/seam routes, I just don't think we have the players to make it effective.

Last year we disregarded the vanilla offense in preseason because, well it was preseason. Nothing changed when the real season began. This year I'm not making the same mistake. I think we will see the same style of offense we have seen now. I'm just hoping we run the ball as much as possible.
    Your just trying to get me stirred up again on the scheme aren't ya.

;D

Core features of the West Coast philosophy are:

QB makes pre and post-snap reads and judges where the ball should go.
    All five WRs run patterns (ie. no TE or RB blocking).
    Passing game attacks defense within the short-medium range (up to 15 yards).
    Receiver's skill relied on to create YAC and break big plays.
    Force defense to react to passing game: this opens up the run.
    Quick drop (generally 3-5 step, though the 7 step can be used) by QB used to minimize sacks.
    Multiple formations, shifts and motions to create mismatches.
    QBs job is to find the open receiver and deliver the ball by progressing through his reads.
    Triangle passing (strongside, weakside and middle).

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/1790/204
    i'm not trying to get you stirred up, I'm agreeing with you. People here are worried because we haven't seen many deep throws. I'm saying don't expect deep passes.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    With respect to a deep passing threat, there is a good chance we don't establish one this year. We're just going to have to rely on YAC and a strong running game. We are just going to have to fight fire with fire when they stack the box.

I'm not saying we won't see deep throws or streak/seam routes, I just don't think we have the players to make it effective.

Last year we disregarded the vanilla offense in preseason because, well it was preseason. Nothing changed when the real season began. This year I'm not making the same mistake. I think we will see the same style of offense we have seen now. I'm just hoping we run the ball as much as possible.
    ;D

Quick drop (generally 3-5 step, though the 7 step can be used) by QB used to minimize sacks.
    QBs job is to find the open receiver and deliver the ball by progressing through his reads.

i'm not trying to get you stirred up, I'm agreeing with you. People here are worried because we haven't seen many deep throws. I'm saying don't expect deep passes.
    I am not expecting many deep passes, but I do believe that we need to move the ball vertically at least occasionally.
    Use the short to medium passes primarily, but every now and again you need a 9 route to keep the safeties from crowding the box.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

This idea is probably going to get shot down pretty fast... but what about trading Chester Taylor for a WR?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    This idea is probably going to get shot down pretty fast... but what about trading Chester Taylor for a WR?
    <BANG>
    Shot down.

We have a great one-two punch with Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

;D

I am not expecting many deep passes, but I do believe that we need to move the ball vertically at least occasionally.
    Use the short to medium passes primarily, but every now and again you need a 9 route to keep the safeties from crowding the box.
    Ditto.
    I am not expecting us to chuck it down field all of the time, just a vertical passing attack.
    The dink and dunk passing attack is going to get you nowhere fast.
    What happens if you get into 3-9, 3-10, 3-long situations?
    That is what you are going to have to do anyway, throw the ball down the field vertically.
    Why not do it regularly anyway.
    Sorry Marrdro, I disagree with the WCO.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

TWill is our main deep threat.
    Why expose the few deep plays we have in meaningless preseason games?
    Who cares if you make long ball touchdowns in preseason.
    If a defense gives us the long pass during the season,
    Chilly will call for it.
    Just because you haven't seen it in preseason doesn't mean we don't have it. :
    We all know that TJ has the arm to put the ball down field..
    Relax

WWBGD

Blog Entries

"vike_mike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

;D

Ditto.
    I am not expecting us to chuck it down field all of the time, just a vertical passing attack.
    The dink and dunk passing attack is going to get you nowhere fast.
    What happens if you get into 3-9, 3-10, 3-long situations?
    That is what you are going to have to do anyway, throw the ball down the field vertically.
    Why not do it regularly anyway.
    Sorry Marrdro, I disagree with the WCO.
    I wouldn't go that far.
    I do agree with the WCO.
    I just don't think that a purist version of it is correct.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries

"RK." wrote:
    TWill is our main deep threat.
    Why expose the few deep plays we have in meaningless preseason games?
    Who cares if you make long ball touchdowns in preseason.
    If a defense gives us the long pass during the season,
    Chilly will call for it.
    Just because you haven't seen it in preseason doesn't mean we don't have it. :
    We all know that TJ has the arm to put the ball down field..
    Relax
    Nicely put.
    Although I would make two corrections.

1) If a defense gives us the long pass during the season,
    Bevel will call for it.
    2) We all know that TJ has the arm to put the ball down field.. although it would be nice to make sure he has the accuracy

Don't get me wrong.
    I am not worried.
    I would just like to see it a couple of times before the regular season starts.
    Plus it would add to TJack's confidence to know that he can do it against other teams... Not to mention TWill's confidence that he can catch it...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

;D

I agree with what you have as the core features of the WCO, but you have to admit we are going to have to look different than that to be successful with what we have. For one thing AP is not a prototype WCO back. He is a perfect I formation-line up 8 yards deep-pick the right hole and pound the ball back. I have not seen them sending the WR's,End and RB's out in pass patterns yet and though the offense wasn't on the field much, I saw TJ going back more than 3 steps and it seemed to me more than 5. It also seemed the 2,3,and 4 QB's weren't doing any sort of quick drop,anticipate where the wr will be and put the ball there throws.

Do you feel that they are practicing the plays this way and are keeping them super secret until they unleash them game 1, do you think they are waiting until next year to install them, or are they just adjusting to their talent and this is what we are going to see?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast