Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings' air attack has remained grounded so far

[size=13pt]Vikings' air attack has remained grounded so far[/size]

Defensive scores and a strong running game have limited the Vikings' passing opportunities.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: August 19, 2007 – 11:21 PM

The young quarterback has a new slot receiver, an expensive upgrade at tight end and a different play-caller. Really. Trust us. Don't listen to your eyes, as Yogi Berra might say....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings' air attack has remained grounded so far

[size=13pt]Vikings' passing game gets a pass[/size]

Childress not worried, insists he has seen Jackson make enough throws

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 08/19/2007 11:05:40 PM CDT

Halfway through the exhibition season, Vikings coach Brad Childress still hasn't seen much of quarterback Tarvaris Jackson and the passing game in game conditions but insists it isn't a concern....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

I am confident Childress knows what he is doing when it comes to evaluating QB's and getting them prepared.
    I am hopeful that he learned from his mistakes last year, and will be a better coach this year.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

We should get a good look at our number 1 guys on offense. I'd like to see Troy get behind the defense, and Shiancoe in the seam, and flat. Rice and Wade catch and run in traffic. But first and foremost I want sustained drives and TouchDowns. O-line domination, and no pre-snap penalties.
    We've been doing pretty good so far and I want to see it continue'd.

Much as I loved the defensive scoring performance last week, it really changed our offensive play calling, so I hope the d plays well, but lets the offense score on a short field, rather than scoring theirselves.

I don't expect us to show multiple formations, or get too innovative in our play calling, just want to see some third downs converted and some drives that result in touchdowns. I know we are stil a work in progress, but with our defense we will be afforded the time to become a good offense.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"PurpleTide" wrote:

We should get a good look at our number 1 guys on offense. I'd like to see Troy get behind the defense, and Shiancoe in the seem, and flat. Rice and Wade catch and run in traffic. But first and foremost I want sustained drives and TouchDowns. O-line domination, and no pre-snap penalties.

Much as I loved the defensive scoring performance last week, it really changed our offensive play calling, so I hope the d plays well, but lets the offense score on a short field, rather than scoring theirselves.

I don't expect us to show multiple formations, or get too innovative in our play calling, just want to see some third downs converted and some drives that result in touchdowns. I know we are stil a work in progress, but with our defense we will be afforded the time to become a good offense.
    First, a couple of nice reads Singer.
    Heck they even put in stats for other starters to show were we are at.

Second, PurpleTide I hear ya, however, I think you saw some of what we want during the second qtr of the Jets game?

[quote]4:35 MIN - TD, ADRIAN PETERSON 3 YD RUN (RYAN LONGWELL KICK).
    MINNESOTA 21-6./quote]

Granted, it wasn't a "Chuck it deep" kindof drive that got our D back out on the field right away, but none the less, a good drive that got 6 on the board, chewed up over 4 minutes and gave our D a rest.

Hmmmmmmmm.
    Pretty good drive IMHO that was called by the staff and executed by the team based on the situation.
    Isn't that what we have beeeeyatching for all summer?
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote]
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

We should get a good look at our number 1 guys on offense. I'd like to see Troy get behind the defense, and Shiancoe in the seem, and flat. Rice and Wade catch and run in traffic. But first and foremost I want sustained drives and TouchDowns. O-line domination, and no pre-snap penalties.

Second, PurpleTide I hear ya, however, I think you saw some of what we want during the second qtr of the Jets game?

4:35 MIN - TD, ADRIAN PETERSON 3 YD RUN (RYAN LONGWELL KICK).
    MINNESOTA 21-6./quote]

Granted, it wasn't a "Chuck it deep" kindof drive that got our D back out on the field right away, but none the less, a good drive that got 6 on the board, chewed up over 4 minutes and gave our D a rest.

Hmmmmmmmm.
    Pretty good drive IMHO that was called by the staff and executed by the team based on the situation.
    Isn't that what we have beeeeyatching for all summer? ;D
    Yep. ;D

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

MINNESOTA 21-6.

Hmmmmmmmm.
    ;D
    It was a good sustained drive, with decent calls and few mistakes.
    And it put 6 on the board.
    All positives.
    I do think we need to involve our WRs more in deeper routes, or teams will be able to stack the box against us.
    Not a Chuck it deep kind of drive, but one that still keeps the secondary in the secondary... I still like the idea of short passes and YAC as our primary passing strategy, but we really need a deep shot to keep them hpnest every once in a while.

I am excited for Saturday's game against the Chiefs.
    We will see the starters again for pretty much the entire half, and hopefully see Bevell and Coach Childress address the only two weak spots we have right now: deep passing attack, and punts/kicks.
    The fourth preseason game is pretty much worthless because the starters will be resting, so this is our last real chance befoe the season starts!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Who are the Chiefs playing on Saturday that's got you so interested in them?

I, myself, will be watching the Vikings-Seahawks game.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

MINNESOTA 21-6.

Hmmmmmmmm.
    ;D
    It was a good sustained drive, with decent calls and few mistakes.
    And it put 6 on the board.
    All positives.
    I do think we need to involve our WRs more in deeper routes, or teams will be able to stack the box against us.
    Not a Chuck it deep kind of drive, but one that still keeps the secondary in the secondary... I still like the idea of short passes and YAC as our primary passing strategy, but we really need a deep shot to keep them hpnest every once in a while.

We will see the starters again for pretty much the entire half, and hopefully see Bevell and Coach Childress address the only two weak spots we have right now: deep passing attack, and punts/kicks.
    The fourth preseason game is pretty much worthless because the starters will be resting, so this is our last real chance befoe the season starts!
    Nice post NP.

I agree with you to a point......
    Kicking appears to be a weak spot, however, Reyes did most of the kicking.
    Maybe Kluwe will get a shot next.

This issue has me a bit worried.

As far as the passing attack, that is a percieved weakness only based on what we saw last year.

Passes/passing looked good against the Rams and what little we saw against the Jets didn't look to shabby.

Case in point,,,,,,, If it wasn't for a great play by the Jets D T-will would have made a nice grab.

Maybe one of our smart guys can go back to the tape and get us a shot of T-wills hands right before the ball was knocked away by the Jets defender.
    If memory serves, he was in correct position to catch the ball.

Again, I have been on this WR Corps bandwagon all year.
    I think we are gonna be pleasantly suprised this year (Moss crotch sniffers be damned
    ;D)

This issue doesn't have me as worried as most.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

They should throw it deep every play, then we could complain about that for a while.
    It would be a nice change of pace.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast