Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Primary goal each season is to win your division in order to make the playoffs.
    In the past teams had to draft players to counter the strong points of teams in their division.

For example, Green Bay has a lot of talented receivers with a very accurate QB who can get the ball to them. Therefore Green Bay can spread you out, and force you to play your 3rd and 4th best corners.
    In order to counter that you need a pass rush from your front 4 without much blitzing and good 3rd,4th, and even 5th corner as a back up.
    We all remember what happened against Green Bay in week 17, when Winfield had to leave the game just before the first half ended.
    Sherels entered the game and 318 of Green Bay's total, 365 yards passing, occured.

There is a new trend in the NFL that needs to also affect the draft process. The QB with running speed and throwing accuracy who can run the read option.

When the Vikings played the Redskins it appeared that RG lll froze the defensive front in place momentarily whenever he handed off, or faked the hand off. The defense never found an answer.

If a team is fortunate enough to make the playoffs they are very likely to encounter at least one team who runs the zone read offense, especially in the NFC.
    The defensive coordinator needs to develop a strategy to stop it and draft the type of players needed to counter this trend, if they want to have playoff success.

I hope Spielman has the vision to look forward and consider what is needed to get to the promised land, and drafts accordingly.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    I would love to see us go after a FA S like Jairus Byrd or Dashon Goldson if either makes it to FA, though I doubt they will. I think we would be stupid to not build around Ponder by getting a couple weapons and doing our best to resign Harvin. If Ponder really doesn't inspire any confidence this season with some actual weapons then we move on, but what good is it to dump him for a rookie or washed up FA who is going to be dealing with the same lack of weapons? Build the team around our QB that we have right now, the QB who took us to the playoffs and beat the Packers in a win or go home game.

Get another S, a DT, a top WR in FA or the draft (preferably both), a LB, and a CB and we should be a serious competitor for next year.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    my draft preference, as an armchair coach..

1. LB or DT

2. #1 not selected or G

3. WR or #2 not selected

4. WR or CB

5. S or CB

6. Another of the above

7. another of the above.

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    my draft preference, as an armchair coach..

1. LB or DT

2. #1 not selected or G

3. WR or #2 not selected

4. WR or CB

5. S or CB

6. Another of the above

7. another of the above.
    If you are looking for a DT or LB in the first round then there are three I have posted earlier that may be available. CJ Mosely, Ogletree (LBs) or Jenkins (DT) that would be a good fit for us.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    If you are looking for a DT or LB in the first round then there are three I have posted earlier that may be available. CJ Mosley, Ogletree (LBs) or Jenkins (DT) that would be a good fit for us.
    Any relation to the former Vikings C.J. Mosley?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Any relation to the former Vikings C.J. Mosley?
    They're the same person.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    They're the same person.
    Then he must have only been 13 when we drafted him 8 years ago.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    If it wasn't for the boat party and ticket scapling in 05 Tice would have caught more flak over taking a tween in the draft but most of the draft focus was on getting the names in on time not so much on the player behind the name

Blog Entries
    I hope you don't think I was being serious

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast