Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Not much when you think about it.

The good thing is we are deep with young talent both starting and backing up most of the key positions.

Again, can't say it enough, this front office has been real smart with respect to signing vets coming off thier first contract.
    Ensures they will be with the team for the life of thier second contract if they pan out and fit the scheme.

Gonna be fun to watch this front office next year as they try to get a few of our Vets resigned now that the cash cow has been exploited.

I know some fans are really gonna be pissed when some of those cats don't get an offer and a new guy steps into thier place next year.

;D

I don't think we are going to be in that bad a spot. Our team seems pretty solid and I think it's clear that birk and
    sharper will both be gone. We should have about 15 million in cap room next year base don an increased cap and those 2 moves. I for 1 hope that Birk's contract can get extended. He is a great/good Center. I jut don't think his age vs. contract amount will warrent it.
    You are kindof correct.
    Because we don't have any of our 2005 draft left worth signing that alleviates some of our problems but there are a few coming up that they need to look at doing something with.....

46 Cullen Loeffler C 27 6-5 241 5 Texas
    -
    I know V is worried about him.

;D
    95 Kenechi Udeze DE 25 6-3 281 5 USC
    - I am still hopefull that he will continue to fight his illness and come back.

Udeze signed a five-year contract as a first-round draft pick out of Southern California in 2004 and will be a free agent next March. Once the season is over, Childress said the Vikings will revisit Udeze's status.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...98733124_x.htm

I had a whole thread just on TJ as kindof a joke but the staff also needs to take a look at spreading the wealth out a bit as our 2006 class will need to be addressed in time as well.
    I look for them to extend a few of these guys early if they produce at the levels we expect this year.

52 Chad Greenway LB 25 6-2 242 3 Iowa
    7 Tarvaris Jackson QB 25 6-2 232 3 Alabama State
    62 Ryan Cook C 25 6-6 328 3 New Mexico
    23 Cedric Griffin CB 25 6-0 203 3 Texas

38 Naufahu Tahi FB 26 6-0 254 3 Brigham Young
    91 Ray Edwards DE 23 6-5 268 3 Purdue
    73 Otis Grigsby DE 27 6-3 260 3 Kentucky
    92 Jayme Mitchell DE 24 6-6 285 3 Mississippi
    If Jackson's play is solid this year 80 Qb rating 15+ tds 12> Ints. Then he should get extended. This shows he is improving and his contract will be worth a lot less when he hits his potential.

Greenway had to have signed a 5 year contract me thinks and as a 1st rounde rhe is making good money. He still has 3 years left on it.

Edwards is another beast. I can see him going for 12 sacks this year. I don't know what the team will do about his contracct. How much of his production is due to the talent around him? Is he worthy of 5 million a year contract for a 12+s sacks a year DE?

From a management point I will be pulling my short hair out over the next 3 years.
    Ole Bryzcheapski knows that as well.

Biggest issue coming up over the next 2 or 3 years.
    Wait and see what they do until thier last year and then pay them top dollar if they keep increasing thier productivity or extend a few of them early in an effort to spread thier contracts out so your not signing them all at once.

Another thing to consider is if they extend a few early the staff won't have to worry about losing them to FA.

Talk about a crap shoot.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"midgensa" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=dcboardr41 link=topic=45436.msg787920#msg787920 date=1212462307]
    the vikes are only allowed to pay their rooks a little more than 2 mil

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3385956

Nice find!
    That must be strictly for salaries & not include signing bonuses. Hell with the deal a lot of the earlier picks get, they'd eat that rookie pool up in one swoop.

And if signing bonuses come out of the cap, we aren't working with a whole lot.
    i'm pretty sure signing bonuses don't come out of the cap
    I'm pretty sure they do... bonuses come out during the year they are paid.
    We have done will because we tend to front-load our contracts when we've had plenty of cap space, thus the cap hits in following years were relatively small....
    Actually they do come out, but it is not in the year they are paid. They come out over the course of the term of the contract, but I am not exactly how it is determined as far as what amount comes out when because I don't think it is always the same amount and it does not count in the full amount. That is to say if we give someone a $10 million signing bonus it will not necessarily count as $10M against the cap.
    It is some sort of amount against the cap for each year he is signed though.
    [/quote]

Signing bonuses are averaged over the life of the contract.
    If a player has a $3M signing bonus and a 3 year contract, $1M hits the cap each year.
    $10M signing bonus and a 5year contract equates to $2M a year against the cap.

keep in mind this doesn't take into acount salaries and roster bonuses that also hit the cap.
    That is just how signing bonuses are calculated against the cap.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

The good thing is we are deep with young talent both starting and backing up most of the key positions.

Again, can't say it enough, this front office has been real smart with respect to signing vets coming off thier first contract.
    Ensures they will be with the team for the life of thier second contract if they pan out and fit the scheme.

Gonna be fun to watch this front office next year as they try to get a few of our Vets resigned now that the cash cow has been exploited.

I know some fans are really gonna be pissed when some of those cats don't get an offer and a new guy steps into thier place next year.
    ;D

I don't think we are going to be in that bad a spot. Our team seems pretty solid and I think it's clear that birk and
    sharper will both be gone. We should have about 15 million in cap room next year base don an increased cap and those 2 moves. I for 1 hope that Birk's contract can get extended. He is a great/good Center. I jut don't think his age vs. contract amount will warrent it.
    You are kindof correct.
    Because we don't have any of our 2005 draft left worth signing that alleviates some of our problems but there are a few coming up that they need to look at doing something with.....

-
    ;D

Udeze signed a five-year contract as a first-round draft pick out of Southern California in 2004 and will be a free agent next March. Once the season is over, Childress said the Vikings will revisit Udeze's status.

I had a whole thread just on TJ as kindof a joke but the staff also needs to take a look at spreading the wealth out a bit as our 2006 class will need to be addressed in time as well.
    I look for them to extend a few of these guys early if they produce at the levels we expect this year.

If Jackson's play is solid this year 80 Qb rating 15+ tds 12> Ints. Then he should get extended. This shows he is improving and his contract will be worth a lot less when he hits his potential.

Greenway had to have signed a 5 year contract me thinks and as a 1st rounde rhe is making good money. He still has 3 years left on it.

Edwards is another beast. I can see him going for 12 sacks this year. I don't know what the team will do about his contracct. How much of his production is due to the talent around him? Is he worthy of 5 million a year contract for a 12+s sacks a year DE?

From a management point I will be pulling my short hair out over the next 3 years.

Wait and see what they do until thier last year and then pay them top dollar if they keep increasing thier productivity or extend a few of them early in an effort to spread thier contracts out so your not signing them all at once.

Another thing to consider is if they extend a few early the staff won't have to worry about losing them to FA.

Talk about a crap shoot.

;D
    [size=45pt]
    Brzezinski
    [/size]

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=45436.msg787976#msg787976 date=1212489954]

;D

You are kindof correct.

-

;D

Talk about a crap shoot.

;D
    [size=45pt]
    Brzezinski
    [/size]
    [/quote]
    You know I can't spell.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123