Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    the vikes are only allowed to pay their rooks a little more than 2 mil

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3385956

    Nice find!

  2. #12
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    "marstc09" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    the vikes are only allowed to pay their rooks a little more than 2 mil

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3385956

    Nice find!
    That must be strictly for salaries & not include signing bonuses. Hell with the deal a lot of the earlier picks get, they'd eat that rookie pool up in one swoop.

    And if signing bonuses come out of the cap, we aren't working with a whole lot.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    Not much when you think about it.

    The good thing is we are deep with young talent both starting and backing up most of the key positions.

    Again, can't say it enough, this front office has been real smart with respect to signing vets coming off thier first contract.
    Ensures they will be with the team for the life of thier second contract if they pan out and fit the scheme.

    Gonna be fun to watch this front office next year as they try to get a few of our Vets resigned now that the cash cow has been exploited.

    I know some fans are really gonna be pissed when some of those cats don't get an offer and a new guy steps into thier place next year.
    ;D


    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Not much when you think about it.

    The good thing is we are deep with young talent both starting and backing up most of the key positions.

    Again, can't say it enough, this front office has been real smart with respect to signing vets coming off thier first contract.
    Ensures they will be with the team for the life of thier second contract if they pan out and fit the scheme.

    Gonna be fun to watch this front office next year as they try to get a few of our Vets resigned now that the cash cow has been exploited.

    I know some fans are really gonna be pissed when some of those cats don't get an offer and a new guy steps into thier place next year.

    ;D


    I don't think we are going to be in that bad a spot. Our team seems pretty solid and I think it's clear that birk and
    sharper will both be gone. We should have about 15 million in cap room next year base don an increased cap and those 2 moves. I for 1 hope that Birk's contract can get extended. He is a great/good Center. I jut don't think his age vs. contract amount will warrent it.

  5. #15
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    the vikes are only allowed to pay their rooks a little more than 2 mil

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3385956

    Nice find!
    That must be strictly for salaries & not include signing bonuses. Hell with the deal a lot of the earlier picks get, they'd eat that rookie pool up in one swoop.

    And if signing bonuses come out of the cap, we aren't working with a whole lot.
    i'm pretty sure signing bonuses don't come out of the cap


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  6. #16
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    the vikes are only allowed to pay their rooks a little more than 2 mil

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3385956

    Nice find!
    That must be strictly for salaries & not include signing bonuses. Hell with the deal a lot of the earlier picks get, they'd eat that rookie pool up in one swoop.

    And if signing bonuses come out of the cap, we aren't working with a whole lot.
    i'm pretty sure signing bonuses don't come out of the cap
    I'm pretty sure they do... bonuses come out during the year they are paid.
    We have done will because we tend to front-load our contracts when we've had plenty of cap space, thus the cap hits in following years were relatively small....


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  7. #17
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    the vikes are only allowed to pay their rooks a little more than 2 mil

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3385956

    Nice find!
    That must be strictly for salaries & not include signing bonuses. Hell with the deal a lot of the earlier picks get, they'd eat that rookie pool up in one swoop.

    And if signing bonuses come out of the cap, we aren't working with a whole lot.
    i'm pretty sure signing bonuses don't come out of the cap
    I'm pretty sure they do... bonuses come out during the year they are paid.
    We have done will because we tend to front-load our contracts when we've had plenty of cap space, thus the cap hits in following years were relatively small....
    Actually they do come out, but it is not in the year they are paid. They come out over the course of the term of the contract, but I am not exactly how it is determined as far as what amount comes out when because I don't think it is always the same amount and it does not count in the full amount. That is to say if we give someone a $10 million signing bonus it will not necessarily count as $10M against the cap.
    It is some sort of amount against the cap for each year he is signed though.

  8. #18
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,771

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    "midgensa" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=dcboardr41 link=topic=45436.msg787920#msg787920 date=1212462307]
    the vikes are only allowed to pay their rooks a little more than 2 mil

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3385956

    Nice find!
    That must be strictly for salaries & not include signing bonuses. Hell with the deal a lot of the earlier picks get, they'd eat that rookie pool up in one swoop.

    And if signing bonuses come out of the cap, we aren't working with a whole lot.
    i'm pretty sure signing bonuses don't come out of the cap
    I'm pretty sure they do... bonuses come out during the year they are paid.
    We have done will because we tend to front-load our contracts when we've had plenty of cap space, thus the cap hits in following years were relatively small....
    Actually they do come out, but it is not in the year they are paid. They come out over the course of the term of the contract, but I am not exactly how it is determined as far as what amount comes out when because I don't think it is always the same amount and it does not count in the full amount. That is to say if we give someone a $10 million signing bonus it will not necessarily count as $10M against the cap.
    It is some sort of amount against the cap for each year he is signed though.
    [/quote]

    Also when players leave like Erasmus James and Troy Williamson the Vikes are on the hook for the remaining bonus payout now but they're off the hook for the salary

  9. #19
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Not much when you think about it.

    The good thing is we are deep with young talent both starting and backing up most of the key positions.

    Again, can't say it enough, this front office has been real smart with respect to signing vets coming off thier first contract.
    Ensures they will be with the team for the life of thier second contract if they pan out and fit the scheme.

    Gonna be fun to watch this front office next year as they try to get a few of our Vets resigned now that the cash cow has been exploited.

    I know some fans are really gonna be pissed when some of those cats don't get an offer and a new guy steps into thier place next year.

    ;D


    I don't think we are going to be in that bad a spot. Our team seems pretty solid and I think it's clear that birk and
    sharper will both be gone. We should have about 15 million in cap room next year base don an increased cap and those 2 moves. I for 1 hope that Birk's contract can get extended. He is a great/good Center. I jut don't think his age vs. contract amount will warrent it.
    You are kindof correct.
    Because we don't have any of our 2005 draft left worth signing that alleviates some of our problems but there are a few coming up that they need to look at doing something with.....

    46 Cullen Loeffler C 27 6-5 241 5 Texas
    -
    I know V is worried about him.

    ;D
    95 Kenechi Udeze DE 25 6-3 281 5 USC
    - I am still hopefull that he will continue to fight his illness and come back.


    Udeze signed a five-year contract as a first-round draft pick out of Southern California in 2004 and will be a free agent next March. Once the season is over, Childress said the Vikings will revisit Udeze's status.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...98733124_x.htm

    I had a whole thread just on TJ as kindof a joke but the staff also needs to take a look at spreading the wealth out a bit as our 2006 class will need to be addressed in time as well.
    I look for them to extend a few of these guys early if they produce at the levels we expect this year.

    52 Chad Greenway LB 25 6-2 242 3 Iowa
    7 Tarvaris Jackson QB 25 6-2 232 3 Alabama State
    62 Ryan Cook C 25 6-6 328 3 New Mexico
    23 Cedric Griffin CB 25 6-0 203 3 Texas

    38 Naufahu Tahi FB 26 6-0 254 3 Brigham Young
    91 Ray Edwards DE 23 6-5 268 3 Purdue
    73 Otis Grigsby DE 27 6-3 260 3 Kentucky
    92 Jayme Mitchell DE 24 6-6 285 3 Mississippi





    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #20
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910

    Re: Vikings 5.5 Million under the cap

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Not much when you think about it.

    The good thing is we are deep with young talent both starting and backing up most of the key positions.

    Again, can't say it enough, this front office has been real smart with respect to signing vets coming off thier first contract.
    Ensures they will be with the team for the life of thier second contract if they pan out and fit the scheme.

    Gonna be fun to watch this front office next year as they try to get a few of our Vets resigned now that the cash cow has been exploited.

    I know some fans are really gonna be pissed when some of those cats don't get an offer and a new guy steps into thier place next year.

    ;D


    I don't think we are going to be in that bad a spot. Our team seems pretty solid and I think it's clear that birk and
    sharper will both be gone. We should have about 15 million in cap room next year base don an increased cap and those 2 moves. I for 1 hope that Birk's contract can get extended. He is a great/good Center. I jut don't think his age vs. contract amount will warrent it.
    You are kindof correct.
    Because we don't have any of our 2005 draft left worth signing that alleviates some of our problems but there are a few coming up that they need to look at doing something with.....

    46 Cullen Loeffler C 27 6-5 241 5 Texas
    -
    I know V is worried about him.

    ;D
    95 Kenechi Udeze DE 25 6-3 281 5 USC
    - I am still hopefull that he will continue to fight his illness and come back.


    Udeze signed a five-year contract as a first-round draft pick out of Southern California in 2004 and will be a free agent next March. Once the season is over, Childress said the Vikings will revisit Udeze's status.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...98733124_x.htm

    I had a whole thread just on TJ as kindof a joke but the staff also needs to take a look at spreading the wealth out a bit as our 2006 class will need to be addressed in time as well.
    I look for them to extend a few of these guys early if they produce at the levels we expect this year.

    52 Chad Greenway LB 25 6-2 242 3 Iowa
    7 Tarvaris Jackson QB 25 6-2 232 3 Alabama State
    62 Ryan Cook C 25 6-6 328 3 New Mexico
    23 Cedric Griffin CB 25 6-0 203 3 Texas

    38 Naufahu Tahi FB 26 6-0 254 3 Brigham Young
    91 Ray Edwards DE 23 6-5 268 3 Purdue
    73 Otis Grigsby DE 27 6-3 260 3 Kentucky
    92 Jayme Mitchell DE 24 6-6 285 3 Mississippi
    If Jackson's play is solid this year 80 Qb rating 15+ tds 12> Ints. Then he should get extended. This shows he is improving and his contract will be worth a lot less when he hits his potential.

    Greenway had to have signed a 5 year contract me thinks and as a 1st rounde rhe is making good money. He still has 3 years left on it.

    Edwards is another beast. I can see him going for 12 sacks this year. I don't know what the team will do about his contracct. How much of his production is due to the talent around him? Is he worthy of 5 million a year contract for a 12+s sacks a year DE?

    From a management point I will be pulling my short hair out over the next 3 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings 20 Million under the cap!
    By kevoncox in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 09:16 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2008, 09:05 AM
  3. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 10:02 AM
  4. $30 MILLION? Really?
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 08:45 PM
  5. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 08:15 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •