Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings 2011 preliminary schedule

Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1086633
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1086632
    Just an FYI, the scheduling rotation that was used in previous years was technically only in place through 2010. It is not tied to the CBA, but it also expired this year, and any new scheduling system will have to be approved at one of the owners meetings this year.

Part of the reason it was not extended is the possibility of an 18 game season, which would have to be addressed in a new CBA first.
    The scheduling rotation is not even slightly a point of contention. So it will remain in place when they agree to a new CBA ... which will happen eventually.

I am not sure what teams they would add if they add 2 games.
    You are correct that it is not a point of contention (and like I said in my post, it is not tied to the CBA). But you are incorrect in saying that it will automatically remain in place. The scheduling rotation was agreed upon in owners meetings, and in its current iteration, the schedule itself was set through 2010. The scheduling rotation for 2011 and beyond has NOT been agreed upon by the owners.

We are assuming that it will continue the same way, but there is also a strong push from ownership to go to an 18 game schedule, making the current rotation obsolete. The CBA negotiations will play a part in whether or not we go to an 18 game schedule, so it makes sense for the owners to wait until that is resolved before deciding on the next scheduling rotation.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1086665
    Just an FYI, the scheduling rotation that was used in previous years was technically only in place through 2010. It is not tied to the CBA, but it also expired this year, and any new scheduling system will have to be approved at one of the owners meetings this year.

Part of the reason it was not extended is the possibility of an 18 game season, which would have to be addressed in a new CBA first.
    The scheduling rotation is not even slightly a point of contention. So it will remain in place when they agree to a new CBA ... which will happen eventually.

You are correct that it is not a point of contention (and like I said in my post, it is not tied to the CBA). But you are incorrect in saying that it will automatically remain in place. The scheduling rotation was agreed upon in owners meetings, and in its current iteration, the schedule itself was set through 2010. The scheduling rotation for 2011 and beyond has NOT been agreed upon by the owners.

We are assuming that it will continue the same way, but there is also a strong push from ownership to go to an 18 game schedule, making the current rotation obsolete. The CBA negotiations will play a part in whether or not we go to an 18 game schedule, so it makes sense for the owners to wait until that is resolved before deciding on the next scheduling rotation.
    I wrote a post about a rotating schedule with 18-games some time ago.

Assuming we have an 18-game schedule, then I see the easiest way to get to 18-games is to scrap the rotation based upon the previous season's division finish order and modify the rotation so that you play TWO divisions within your conference every year, rather than just one.

Example (for the Vikings):
    2012 - 6 games vs. NFC North opponents, 4 games vs. AFC South, 4 games vs. NFC West, 4 games vs. NFC East

2013 - 6 games vs. NFC North, 4 games vs. AFC North, 4 games vs. NFC East, 4 games vs. NFC South

2014 - 6 games vs. NFC North, 4 games vs. AFC East, 4 games vs. NFC South, 4 games vs. NFC West

2015 - 6 games vs. NFC North, 4 games vs. AFC West, 4 games vs. NFC West, 4 games vs. NFC East

etc.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by "VikingMike" #1086621
    Here are our opponents in 2011, assuming there is a season (and that it's 16 games).

Home: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders.

Away: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers.
    How did you determine that the Arizona game is a home game and the Redskins game is an away game (as those two are the only that are not part of the rotating schedule)?

=Z=

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1086734
    Quote Originally Posted by "VikingMike" #1086621
    Here are our opponents in 2011, assuming there is a season (and that it's 16 games).

Home: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders.

Away: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers.
    How did you determine that the Arizona game is a home game and the Redskins game is an away game (as those two are the only that are not part of the rotating schedule)?

=Z=
    http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_nfcn.htm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1086733
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1086665

Assuming we have an 18-game schedule, then I see the easiest way to get to 18-games is to scrap the rotation based upon the previous season's division finish order and modify the rotation so that you play TWO divisions within your conference every year, rather than just one.

2012 - 6 games vs. NFC North opponents, 4 games vs. AFC South, 4 games vs. NFC West, 4 games vs. NFC East

2013 - 6 games vs. NFC North, 4 games vs. AFC North, 4 games vs. NFC East, 4 games vs. NFC South

2014 - 6 games vs. NFC North, 4 games vs. AFC East, 4 games vs. NFC South, 4 games vs. NFC West

2015 - 6 games vs. NFC North, 4 games vs. AFC West, 4 games vs. NFC West, 4 games vs. NFC East

etc.

=Z=
    I like it, but I think setting the schedule based on finish is still a priority for the league. My guess is they will keep it the same, but add the additional games based on division finish with two of the divisions from the other conference. That way we have 6 divisional games, 8 games based on a scheudled rotation, and 4 games based on division finish (2 from NFC, 2 from AFC).
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1086659
    Quote Originally Posted by "Tad7" #1086654
    I was hoping we'd finish in the same position as Dallas so I could check out the Cowboys new stadium next season and have a rooting interest. But of course we lose to Detroit and they beat Philly!

But as many of you have said, there may be a totally different schedule with the new CBA.
    Yes that sucks but at least we have the Chargers game to go to.
    Toured the Cowboys stadium this year, and it is very cool, but on the bright side for me is that I still will get 2 games in my backyard at Carolina & Atlanta next year. Looking forward to seeing some PPO brethren down here in the sunny south!!!!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

We're doomed
    We're bringing purple back.

Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1086813

etc.
    I like it, but I think setting the schedule based on finish is still a priority for the league. My guess is they will keep it the same, but add the additional games based on division finish with two of the divisions from the other conference. That way we have 6 divisional games, 8 games based on a scheudled rotation, and 4 games based on division finish (2 from NFC, 2 from AFC).
    Okay - devil's advocate time - how do you determine the other two divisions (out of three) in the other conference? For some reason, I'm doubting you can make the math work.

=Z=

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1086943
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1086813

etc.
    Okay - devil's advocate time - how do you determine the other two divisions (out of three) in the other conference? For some reason, I'm doubting you can make the math work.

=Z=
    It would have to be scheduled since we could only play two of the three remaining conferences. My guess would be to use the adjacent conferences. So if we were schudled to play AFC West, then the division finish AFC games would come from the AFC North and South.

Or something like that.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "V4L" #1086626
    Looks like a pretty tough schedule

Hopefully we do some good things and grow as a team and pull out a few next year that we couldn't last year
    I disagree. I think it is a fairly soft schedule.

I don't have a ton of respect for the AFC West, other than maybe SD. KC looks like the wheels fell off at the end of the year. Oakland is OK, but still suffers from inconsistent QB play and they will probably lose Asomugha, and they have to come to our house. We also get the Broncos and the golden boy at home.

Of our away games, both Washington and Carolina are relative train wrecks. QB-less Arizona doesn't scare me. We get up-and-coming Tampa Bay at home, and a chance for some home cookin' revenge vs the Saints.

Outside of possibly late games vs GB and CHI, we don't have any cold weather games. Obviously, a lot hinges on the eventual QB situation and how re-signing our own free agents like Greenway and Rice go. But with any "luck" at all, I can see wins against Detroit (2), Washington, Carolina, Denver, Oakland, Arizona. That's seven wins right there, plus you have four more home games against the likes of Tampa, Chicago, New Orleans and Green Bay. Even if you split those, you are up to nine wins. I can see this team winning ten games next season with that schedule.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast