Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    d3adpool is offline Waterboy

Re:Vikinggs Pass Rush Versus Saints O-Line

Sajid28 wrote:
    what im worried about is ray and kev not being 100%. hopefully we can have players step up and come out with a w..

btw, that saints fan is retarded if you think u can run on us. no one can run on us. except for maybe benson whose the first guy to rush a 100 in the past 3 years. good luck with that
    benson didn't get 100 yards but Stewart did.
    None

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Well, the Saints have a 2nd year man, first year starter in Bushrod guarding the mullet. Nice and Goodwin have been playing tight, but both have < two yrs on the line. The right side of the line is comparable to the left side of the Vikings o-line, a bit stronger and more cohesive in general. The right side of the Saints' o-line has some experience together with Evans and Stinchcomb, haven't looks at the stats, but, I'm guessing they ran a little heavier to that side during the regular season. Based on what I've seen in the Saints games I have watched (all of them) and the Vikings games I have watched (all of them) this season I see the Vikings D line having a challenge ahead of them, but, a very surmountable challenge.

I know, the Saints fans work on the stats and say they are #2 in least # sacks given up in the past four season and ranked #4 in least # sacks given up this season. Well, the Vikings have the most sacks in the regular season (this year) and the #2 defense at stuffing the run (#1 2006-2008). The pies had four sacks against your line in week 15, but the Saints held the Cards to 0 sacks last week when they were ranked #6 in sacks during the regular season. The pies ranked 15th in sacks given up during the regular season and the Vikings were on Romo faster than I can toss beads at breasts on Bourbon Street. All fun worthless statistics.

It appears some Saints fans like to toss in the injury bug all the time and blame their Ls on that. Good teams still win, the first year the Patriots won their SB they had so many injuries on their team that it was amazing they made the playoffs if that is a legitimate excuse. Besides, the Vikings lost their starting MLB, you know, the QB of the defense that gets the plays called in and leads the team and have a rookie taking his place. I would say the injury trumps any other injury on defense. Any way you spin it the two best teams this year are playing in the NFCCG.

It will be an incredible game, but, like I've said numerous times, I just don't see the Saints O-line matching up well with the Vikings D-line and do not see the Saints D-line matching up well with our O-line (although that one is more debatable). Having two QBs playing the game that are good at reading defenses and unloading to a plethora of receivers will make it very interesting. The obvious strategy is to pressure the QB. The Saints secondary outshines the Vikings secondary, but, that is a moot point if Brees is on his ass.

BTW, I enjoyed your post. Interesting breakdown that took a little time.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

V4L wrote:
    Im worried we will go on one of our cold games after our huge games
    LOL, you worry too much v4l. You were pretty down before last weeks game if I remember right as well.

Stay upbeat my purple brother, the Vikings will come to play and your boy AD will show you the definition of intensity.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Prophet wrote:
    Well, the Saints have a 2nd year man, first year starter in Bushrod guarding the mullet. Nice and Goodwin have been playing tight, but both have < two yrs on the line. The right side of the line is comparable to the left side of the Vikings o-line, a bit stronger and more cohesive in general. The right side of the Saints' o-line has some experience together with Evans and Stinchcomb, haven't looks at the stats, but, I'm guessing they ran a little heavier to that side during the regular season. Based on what I've seen in the Saints games I have watched (all of them) and the Vikings games I have watched (all of them) this season I see the Vikings D line having a challenge ahead of them, but, a very surmountable challenge.

I know, the Saints fans work on the stats and say they are #2 in least # sacks given up in the past four season and ranked #4 in least # sacks given up this season. Well, the Vikings have the most sacks in the regular season (this year) and the #2 defense at stuffing the run (#1 2006-2008). The pies had four sacks against your line in week 15, but the Saints held the Cards to 0 sacks last week when they were ranked #6 in sacks during the regular season. The pies ranked 15th in sacks given up during the regular season and the Vikings were on Romo faster than I can toss beads at breasts on Bourbon Street. All fun worthless statistics.

It appears some Saints fans like to toss in the injury bug all the time and blame their Ls on that. Good teams still win, the first year the Patriots won their SB they had so many injuries on their team that it was amazing they made the playoffs if that is a legitimate excuse. Besides, the Vikings lost their starting MLB, you know, the QB of the defense that gets the plays called in and leads the team and have a rookie taking his place. I would say the injury trumps any other injury on defense. Any way you spin it the two best teams this year are playing in the NFCCG.

It will be an incredible game, but, like I've said numerous times, I just don't see the Saints O-line matching up well with the Vikings D-line and do not see the Saints D-line matching up well with our O-line (although that one is more debatable). Having two QBs playing the game that are good at reading defenses and unloading to a plethora of receivers will make it very interesting. The obvious strategy is to pressure the QB. The Saints secondary outshines the Vikings secondary, but, that is a moot point if Brees is on his ass.

BTW, I enjoyed your post. Interesting breakdown that took a little time.
    "I hate it when threads are destroyed by facts and logic"

-V-
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

AsylumGuido is offline Rookie

MulletMullitia wrote:
    If you think the Saints will come and be able to run on the Vikings you must be retarded. They are the best run defense in the NFL. You have a MVP caliber QB matchup against our mediocre young defensive backs and your gameplan is to run the ball? This is why you make stupid internet rants instead of making calls from the sidelines. And last time I checked, Jermon Bushrod is matched up on Jared Allen this week. Good luck with that B)
    Actually, I think you will be surprised at what kind of success the Saints will have on the ground. This year New Orleans has been a run first pass second offense. Most of their huge plays come off the play action. Both Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush have the ability to hit small holes quick and pick up those 5-6 yard chunks. That "rant" was not stupid. It was a very accurate assessment.
    Saints Fan Since 1967

AsylumGuido wrote:
    MulletMullitia wrote:
    If you think the Saints will come and be able to run on the Vikings you must be retarded. They are the best run defense in the NFL. You have a MVP caliber QB matchup against our mediocre young defensive backs and your gameplan is to run the ball? This is why you make stupid internet rants instead of making calls from the sidelines. And last time I checked, Jermon Bushrod is matched up on Jared Allen this week. Good luck with that B)
    Actually, I think you will be surprised at what kind of success the Saints will have on the ground. This year New Orleans has been a run first pass second offense. Most of their huge plays come off the play action. Both Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush have the ability to hit small holes quick and pick up those 5-6 yard chunks. That "rant" was not stupid. It was a very accurate assessment.
    I agree that NO has a very respectable running game and during big games like this it becomes very important. Establishing the run in a pressure filled playoff game is a huge luxury, it also happens to go against what is probably our biggest strength...run defense. If we have success early in stopping the run, will the Saints stay patient with it or will they go to Brees and start abandoning the run? Same can be asked for the Vikings offense.

It is a key matchup in this game no doubt, but one that both teams can overcome. Personally I like our chances at running the ball better than NO, but I doubt that surprises you. I'm also not sold that establishing a running game is required to win this game, it just makes it a lot easier.

AsylumGuido is offline Rookie

tastywaves wrote:
    AsylumGuido wrote:
    MulletMullitia wrote:
    I agree that NO has a very respectable running game and during big games like this it becomes very important. Establishing the run in a pressure filled playoff game is a huge luxury, it also happens to go against what is probably our biggest strength...run defense. If we have success early in stopping the run, will the Saints stay patient with it or will they go to Brees and start abandoning the run? Same can be asked for the Vikings offense.

It is a key matchup in this game no doubt, but one that both teams can overcome. Personally I like our chances at running the ball better than NO, but I doubt that surprises you. I'm also not sold that establishing a running game is required to win this game, it just makes it a lot easier.
    I agree completely and I can answer your question. The Saints will not give up on the run. They may change the approach, but the run is key to the offense. One strength that the Saints have in their run game is an excellent run blocking line. But, their other strength is a versatile running game. They have Mike Bell who is a bruising back that can pick up the short, tough yardage. Reggie Bush is an explosive back that can make it to the outside or hit the hole between the tackles and make the moves in the second level. He has also added some "wood" to his game. Pierre Thomas adds both strength and speed and is the most versatile of the three starting backs. Lynell Hamilton is a slightly larger clone of Pierre Thomas' game and will likely be the future for the Saints.

In the few games the Saints have gotten behind in they kept with the run and found success with in game adjustments.
    Saints Fan Since 1967

AsylumGuido wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    AsylumGuido wrote:
    MulletMullitia wrote:

I agree completely and I can answer your question. The Saints will not give up on the run. They may change the approach, but the run is key to the offense. One strength that the Saints have in their run game is an excellent run blocking line. But, their other strength is a versatile running game. They have Mike Bell who is a bruising back that can pick up the short, tough yardage. Reggie Bush is an explosive back that can make it to the outside or hit the hole between the tackles and make the moves in the second level. He has also added some "wood" to his game. Pierre Thomas adds both strength and speed and is the most versatile of the three starting backs. Lynell Hamilton is a slightly larger clone of Pierre Thomas' game and will likely be the future for the Saints.

In the few games the Saints have gotten behind in they kept with the run and found success with in game adjustments.
    I haven't seen many Saints games this year, but it seems like your offense isn't #1 by mistake. Your running game is greatly overlooked and I'm a bit surprised by listening to all the media hacks (my bad), that the Saints have that much commitment to the run. Guess its mostly due to lack of star power.

You'll find few members on this site that are afraid of your running game (or any team's) against our run D. If you can get enough respect for the running game even if it doesn't produce a lot of yards, then you may have accomplished your goal in setting up Brees. This is a similar tact to our offense. It comes down to how many players are put on the line in order to shut down the running game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12